Wow 'Em With Your Web Presence - Grassroots Strategies for Online Marketing
Post on 27-Jun-2015
- 1. Wow em with your Web Presence! Keidra Chaney, The Web Farm January 20, 2010
- Q & A: Terre Houte
- Your Online Presence: Where to Start
- Creating Online Content: Writing
- Creating Online Content: SEO
- Blogs and Social Media
- Analytics and Measurement
- Key Take Aways
3. Your Online Presence: Where to Start?
- Its not rocket science!
- New tools for thesame strategies.
- Dont be fearful, be thoughtful!
- Its just marketing, andyoure the expert !
4. Where to Start: Know Your Online Audience (s)
- Who They Are:
5. Where to Start: Know Your Online Audience(s)
- How they see you
- Most/least visited webpages
- How long they stay
- Where they come from
- What they find appealing
- What content is popular or
6. Where to Start: Know Your Online Audience (s)
- How they want to hear from you:
- Your website
- email newsletter
- social media
- maybe print?
- But how do you learn this?
7. Where to Start:Get to Know Your Audience (s)
- Focus Groups
- Analytics - using web traffic to learn about visitor behavior
- Testing get feedback on design and user appeal
- Good News: These tools are cheap and/or free!
8. Where to Start: Define Your Online Goals
- Ask yourself:
- What do we want people to do when they come to our website ?
- Buy products?
- Learn more about the organization?
- Sign up as members?
- Communicate/network with other members?
- All of the above?
You can have more than one goal! 9. Creating Online Content: Writing
- Web usersscan text , not read
- Web readers areselfish ; they want to get to the point quick.
- Web readers arerestless , they tend to multitask online.
from Jakob Nielsen the guru of Web usability 10. Creating Online Content: Writing
- Write in Layers
- Break longer text in sections
- Use headings and subheadings
- Highlight key text
- block quotes
- lists with bullet points
- use italics (NOT ALL CAPS) for emphasis in sentences
11. Creating Online Content: SEO
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Making your website for Google, Yahoo. Bing, etc. to find your site.
- Avoid jargon.Use tools to help find keywords your visitors would find.
- Avoid click here.link words so Google can pick it up.
- Keep headlines short:.Under 65 characters for RSS, Google search results.
12. Creating Online Content: SEO
- A final thought:
Write for people, not search engines! 13. Blogging and social media
- Best Practices
- Where to start? Go where your audience is
- Decide if you have the time/staff to devote to keep up a social media presence and community
- Promote to your audience through existing communications (newsletters, direct mail, email)
14. Blogging and social media Remember:Social media is a two-way conversation, create relationships, dont just promote The message is not just yours to control! 15. Analytics/Measurement Used by many e-commerce companies to measure online results . Many free and inexpensive tools to help small biz and associations Use your goals as a guide! 16. Key Takeaways
- Learn about your audience
- Set measureable goals for success
- Share information with designers it helps!
- Consider how web users read when you create content
- Match social media to your audience/resources
- Remember social media is a conversation
- Measure your results!
- Experiment and dont fear failure
- Keidra Chaney
- @kdc on Twitter