fun with form b

Download Fun with form b

Post on 20-Dec-2014

926 views

Category:

Education

1 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Al Harper's Presentation to the Lenox Historical Society

TRANSCRIPT

  • 1. Fun with Form B Dr. Albert HarperForensic Science Consortium

2. LENOX HISTORICAL COMMISSION OLGA WEISS LUCY KENNEDY BOB ROMEO JAN CHAGUE AL HARPER JIM BIANCOLO SUZANNE PELTON 3. OUR CHARTER MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAWS Chapter 40 Section 8D Historical Commission, establishment, power andduties. Section 8D. A city or town which accepts thissection may establish an historicalcommission, hereinafter called thecommission, for the preservation, protection anddevelopment of the historical or archeologicalassets of such city or town. 4. OUR MISSIONIt is the mission of the Lenox Historical Commissionto: build appreciation of Lenox history; provide guidance on the treatment of buildings, landscapes and neighborhoods so as to preserve Lenox history; provide leadership in actual preservation efforts through support for funding efforts (grants, studies, etc.) and development of appropriate by-laws. 5. FORM B HISTORY Form B is the historical building survey recordedin the MARCIS database for every town inMassachusetts. MACRIS Form B can be found at www.mch-macris.net 330 Form Bs for Lenox 332 for Williamstown 405 for Great Barrington 569 for Stockbridge 6. FORM B UPDATE13*Plan to update88 in LHD534 outside LHDSWTLHC proposal toCPC 2009.Approved at TownMeeting 2010. 91 77 7. Implementing the Plan Larson Fisher Associates Historic Preservation and Planning Service1) Historic District UpdateStandardize terminologyDigital imagesReview boundariesAssess potential for National Register2) Outside Historical District (38 properties)Construction datesArchitectural stylesAssess potential for National Register 8. GREAT COTTAGES Not part of the update, because of theexcellent documentation provided in Jacksonand Gilders Houses of the Berkshire. 9. www.historicnewengland.orgArchitectural Style GuideThis guide is intended as an introduction to American domestic architectural stylesbeginning with First Period colonial architecture through the Colonial Revivalarchitecture of the early twentieth century. The guide focuses on common stylistictrends of New England and is therefore not inclusive of all American architecture.First Period 1600 -1700Georgian 1700 -1780Federal 1780 -1820Greek Revival 1825 -1860Gothic Revival 1840 -1880Italianate 1840 -1885Second Empire 1855 -1885Queen Anne 1880 -1910Colonial Revival 1880 -1955 10. 7 HubbardIsrael Dewey House Zadock HubbardBirchwood InnTavern 1770This Colonial Revival style building hastwo stories, an asphalt shingle roof andhas been altered. It now has a 4-bay, wood frame; mansard roof with adentiled band at the cornice, gable roofdormers and shed dormer on the rear ell.The original portion of the structure wasthe home of Israel Dewey, one of Lenoxsearliest settlers. Dewey, who establisheda home in the area by 1764, was one ofthe proprietors of Lenox and served in anumber of public positions. Like manyBerkshire householders, Dewey waslicensed as an innkeeper. He left Lenoxfor Vermont in the early 1790s, and afterseveral changes in ownership theproperty was acquired by ZadockHubbard in 1798. He enlarged the houseand opened it as the Hubbard Tavern. In1806 the building was sold to AzariahEgleston, a locally prominent man, andconverted back to a private residence. 11. 7 Main StreetMaj. Gen. John Paterson House1783This Federal style building has two stories, anasphalt shingle roof and has been minimallyaltered. It is 5-bay, center entranceconstruction. It has wood frame; clapboardsiding a hipped roof with molded cornice withdentiled band below.This house was built for Major General JohnPaterson, a friend, counselor and comrade ofGeneral George Washington, and led theBerkshire troops.. He was an advisor toGeorge Washington and crossed the Delawarewith him.Major General Paterson did not occupy thishouse for long, for in 1790 he retired toLisle, New York, where he died in 1808. Thehouse passed to his daughter, HannahPaterson, and her husband Major AzariahEgleston, who had served under Paterson andalso participated in most of the major battlesof the revolution. Egleston later served asJustice of the Peace and state senator. Thehouse remained in the Egleston family throughthe 19th century, although later generationsused it as a summer residence. The buildingwas purchased by the Lenox National Bank in1968 and has operated as a bank since 1971. 12. 17 MainElecta Eddy House Summer White HouseC 1886This Queen Anne style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and has beenminimally altered. 4-bay, woodframe, asymmetrical form w/hipped roof, severalgable dormers; 3 brick chimneys-2 on R side, 1on L;This house was built on the site of an earlierhouse demolished in the late 1870s. The lot waspurchased from the owner of that house, LucyCottrell by Electa Eddy in 1880. In 1885, Charlesand Margaret Eddy mortgaged the property for $9,000, and the following year sold it to JohnEgmont Schermerhorn for $25,000. Thefurnishings of the house were included in thissale, with the exception of several itemsmentioned specifically in the deed, the familyand household silver and linens, and the articles of bricabrac of a personal andornamental character. Mr. Schermerhornnamed the house The Lanai, perhaps referringto its original porches. Frank and Mary Newtonacquired the property in 1992. 13. 2 KembleFrederick T. Frelinghuysen House Kemble Inn1881This Colonial Revival style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and is intact. 5-bay, center entrance, wood frame; hipped roofdormers w/scrolled pediments - 2 onfront, paired on sides; 3 massive brick chimneysw/flared tops, painted white -2 side wall onmain building.Frederick T. Frelinghuysen, who served asSecretary of Treasury under Chester A.Arthur, built this house in 1881. The house washandsomely furnished, and the Frelinghuysensentertained lavishly, with former PresidentArthur among their many guests. The housewas subsequently owned by ThatcherAdams, who renamed it Sundrum House R.J.Flick purchased the property in the early 1930sand lived in it while his estate Uplands, wasunder construction. It was then sold to Mrs.Charles F. Bassett who gave the school to theLenox School for Boys for use as a dormitory.The property was purchased by John Reardon in1993 and converted to an inn. Most recently, in2010, Scott Shortt purchased the Kemble Innand has made extensive renovations. 14. 12 HousatonicLe HeritageGeorge C. Haven Cottage Elm Cottage1881This Gothic Revival/Queen Anne stylebuilding has two stories, an asphalt shingleroof and has been significantly altered. It hasa wood frame with wood clapboard siding;Jerkin-head gable roof & dormer roofs.This was one of two buildings known as theElm Cottages, built by George C. Haven onMain St., just north of the Lenox Library(Second County Courthouse). The landcontaining the county jail, jailers house, anda county barn, had been sold to Thomas Post,Joseph Tucker, Andrew Servin and HenryBishop by the Inhabitants of BerkshireCounty in 1871, after the County seat hadmoved to Pittsfield. Post sold his portion ofthe lot to George C. Haven in 1881, at whichtime Haven mortgaged the property for$6,250 and built two large summer cottages.This one was rented to W. C. Schermerhorn,who purchased the house in 1887. In 1910,the building was moved to its present siteFrank C. Hagyard when he built the drugstoreat the corner of Main and Housatonic Streets. 15. 17 HousatonicJacob Washburn House1825This Federal style building has two stories,an asphalt shingle roof and has beenaltered. Brick construction laid up inFlemish bond; front gable roof with eavereturns; gabled entrance canopy with largescroll sawn support brackets, pendants inItalianate style (early addition).This was the Washburn homestead,probably build by Jacob Washburn, whomarried the daughter of Samuel Northrup,an early settler in 1786. Jacob was aprosperous farmer with a large family and itseems likely that he build the house afterestablishing himself in Lenox. He died at age62 in 1828, but his wife and childrensurvived him and continued to prosper. Hischildren and grand-children became some ofthe largest property owners in Lenox. Thehouse remained in the Washburn familythrough the nineteenth century. Mrs.Thomas Morse was the last Washburn toown it. 16. 27 HousatonicFirst County Courthouse1791This undetermined style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and has beenaltered. It is a wood frame building with smalldentils along molded cornice; hipped roof; 3-bays facing Housatonic St. faade at 2nd floorand a rear wall chimney on North side.Built in 1791, this building originally stood justwest of the present Town Hall. This was thefirst County Courthouse, built several yearsafter the county seat was moved from GreatBarrington to Lenox in 1784. When the newCounty Courthouse was built in 1815 (now theLenox Library) this building became the TownHall and Post Office, and remained in thatcapacity throughout the 19th century. In 1901the present Town Hall was built, and thisstructure was moved two years later to itscurrent location by Thomas Post. GeorgeTherner purchased it shortly thereafter for useas a business block and apartments. 17. 94 ChurchMathew Colbert HouseBuilt 1853Greek/Gothic RevivalThis Greek Revival/Gothic Revival stylebuilding has two stories, an asphaltshingle roof and is intact. The originalpart of the house has 2-bays, a woodframe, cross-gable and a brick centerchimney. There is wood clapboardsiding, corner pilasters and extra largeentablatures on the sides.This lot was originally part of theHenry Cook estate, which hedeveloped and sold in the 1840s and50s. This property was purchased byMatthew Colbert in 1853. The Colbertfamily also owned the house at 100Church Street. 18. 81 Walker Pine AcresWilliam C. Wharton House - M. E. RogersHouse 1885Queen Anne StyleThis Queen Anne style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and has beenaltered. There is a 7-bay, center entrance.The building h