the internet of things and developers: what the enterprise needs to know
Post on 20-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. The Internet of Things and Developers: What the Enterprise Needs to Know Apigee @apigee Michael Rasalan, Evans Data Corp. @eatabagel Abhi Rele, Apigee @abhirele #IoT
- 2. youtube.com/apigee
- 3. slideshare.net/apigee
- 4. Michael Rasalan Evans Data Corp. @eatabagel Abhi Rele Apigee @abhirele
- 5. Agenda What is the current state of IoT development? Is an IoT developer different from a mobile developer? What expectations do IoT developers have around APIs, big data, cloud, real-time processing, and security? How can an enterprise realize value from its IoT development decisions? 5
- 6. What is the Internet of Things? The Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects or "things" embedded with electronics, software, sensors, and connectivity to enable it to achieve greater value and service by exchanging data with the manufacturer, operator, and/or other connected devices. Wikipedia 6
- 7. @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com Primary research on all development related to Internet of Things Across multiple disciplines with fresh data arriving regularly Evans Data Corp. Internet of Things Annual Vertical Research Service Internet of Things Development Survey Worldwide survey of developers targeting IoT Conducted twice yearly Vertical Service updates Big Data Development Mobile Development Cloud Development
- 8. What is the current state of IoT development? 8
- 9. Plans for IoT @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com
- 10. Hot growth areas in development 2014 to 2015 @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com
- 11. Poll Question 11
- 12. Developer outlook for IoT @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% Much more pervasive Somewhat more pervasive It won't change Somewhat less pervasive Much less pervasive I don't know PercentofProgrammers How will the prevalence of connected devices change in the next five years? Internet of Things Development Study: Vol. I, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 13. Types of applications being developed @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 0% 5% 10% 15% 20% PercentofProgrammers Which of the following best describes your connected device projects? Internet of Things Development Study: Vol. I, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 14. Poll Question 15
- 15. Computing concepts associated with IoT @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% PercentofProgrammers Which of the following concepts do you MOST associate with the Internet of Things? Internet of Things Development Study: Vol. I, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 16. Type of hardware associated with IoT @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% PercentofProgrammers What hardware do you most associate with the Internet of Things? Internet of Things Development Study: Vol. I, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 17. How are IoT developers different from mobile developers? 19
- 18. Global Developer Population: 19,031,400 APAC EMEA Latin America North America Developer Population and Demographic Study, 2014 Evans Data Corp, 2014 China and India will drive APAC to overtake EMEA EMEA is currently largest and includes Russia and Eastern Europe Latin Americas major growth hasnt quite started yet US is still the country with largest developer population but will be overtaken soon @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com Global developer population
- 19. @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com . Mobile Developers IoT Developers Intersections between mobile and IoT
- 20. @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 PercentofProgrammers Gender (Trend) Male Female Developer Marketing 2013, 2013 Evans Data Corp. 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 Years Median Age by Region (Trend) APAC EMEA North America IoT Developers Developer Marketing 2015, 2015 Evans Data Corp Profile trends
- 21. 59% of developers now work on apps outside their day jobs Moonlighting is even more prevalent among IoT developers: 71% now do this @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com Moonlighting Yes 59% No 41% Do you develop software/applications on your own personal time not related to your day job? Global Development Survey: Volume I, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 22. @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com Devices targeted by mobile developers 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% Feature phones Connected industrial devices Smart home devices Tablets Smartphones Percent of Cases On which devices are you currently deploying or planning to deploy your applications? (Top 5) Mobile Development Study: Vol. II, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 23. What expectations exist around APIs, big data, cloud, real time processing, and security? 25
- 24. Use of APIs among IoT developers @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% Yes, externally for partners Yes, externally for anyone Yes, for internal use only We don't publish APIs PercentofProgrammers Do you publish APIs for your own apps for use by others? (IoT developers) Internet of Things Development Study: Vol. I, 2014 Evans Data Corp.
- 25. Top big data concerns for IoT developers @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com 67% of IoT developers are most concerned with Big Data security
- 26. What do developers see as the greatest trouble spots for IoT security? @evansdatacorp www.evansdata.com Developers most commonly see software or firmware as the greatest trouble spot for IoT security
- 27. How can an enterprise realize value from its IoT development decisions? 29
- 28. Realizing value from IoT IoT is more than wearables; focus on your valuable use case IoT isnt just about mobile; think distributed system IoT isnt just about sensors and actuators; think APIs, big data, and cloud IoT isnt just about front end; think secure and scalable back end too 30
- 29. Save the date: March 23 and 24, 2015 Palo Alto, CA Special Boot Camp session on March 22 The ONLY conference for Developer Relations Program Professionals Keynote Speakers from Evans Data, IBM, Intel, SAP and Ford Two full days of insights, networking, interaction with the leaders of some of the most important developer relations programs Save $300 with promo code IOTDEV Call 800-831-8030 for details or visit www.evansdata.com/drc
- 30. www.iloveapiseurope.com
- 31. Michael Rasalan Evans Data Corp. 831.425.8451 @eatabagel Abhi Rele Apigee @abhirele Questions?
- 32. Thank You Apigee @apigee
View more >