Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T7 B17 FBI 302s of Interest Flight 175 Fdr- Entire Contents

1/19

BEGPRODNOBEGBATESDATEFBIDESCRFULLT'EXT

M-INT-00036632265A-NY-280350-302-6399= ng/ii/?omWAS INTERVIEWED 09/11/01

Reference San Francisco lead #SF97On September 11. 2001, Federal Bureauof InvestigationFBI Special Agents |intervie "I Airlines, located at ;the San Francisco International Airport SFO. Kime was i/nterviewed at his residence:_ ^___California. After being informed of the nature of the interviewand the identity of the interviewing Agents, Kime provided the ;following information: I

I Iwas working the night shift at the SAMC at SFO onthe morning of September 11,2001. His ob entails coordinationof communications with all flights on the ground and in the air ifor mechanical related problems. His office has the ability to Imake contact utilizing a system that United Airlines calls"Starfix". The "Starfix" systeiugives the SAMC the ability to /-converse directly with flight attendants about issues arising onboard the aircraft. The SAMC also has the ability to contact the \t crew utilizing a systemcalled "Air Rinc". I bthis system is similar to an airborne E-mait system, where the \C can type messages to the flight crew and conv

was in the SAMC, when Rich Belme, a day shift coordinator, n the ,SAMC, entered the room. The two mendiscussed issues related to\eaircraft that were currently not in service. At thMarc Policastro, an employee who was manning the "Starfix" . .system, approached! land Belme and informed them that he hadjust taken a call over the "Starfix" system and that the flight ;;;;::;;attendant that was calling said that her plane, Flight # 1 7 5 . , . h a d " _ [ ' . ' . ' . ' - " " _ / been hijacked. The flight attendant also sai.d..that thefanother .;:;: ,flight attendant on-board had been stabbed and that/thei flight ,/ //crew was dead, j tadvised that the "Stajfix" calls were npt;>recorded. _....--"" /

At this time! jcbntacted System Operations Control //in Chicago, Illinois. This center, which also goes bythe name , /

Law Enforcement Privacy

;;. . 9/11 Personal Privacy

09/11/2001 L J265D-NY-280350-SF ,09/11/01

[PDF page 1]265D-NY-280350

L 09/11/2001OPB, hasmany functions, one of which is simitar to that of adispatch center for all of the planes inservice.!" [contactedRich Miles at OPB and informed him of what/he had been told byPolicastro. Miles said that they knewfiLlhSi. hijacking, and thatit was American Airlines Flight #11.1 told Miles that it wasin fact a United Airlines plane that was hijacked. Miles and

September 12,2003 12:35 pm Page 1

2/19

I Idiscussed the situation. I Isaid that United Airlines hasa policyowners Crisis Centers are set-wp in this type ofsituation, andl land Miles began to follow the checklists forthis type of scenario. At this time Belme told Policastro towrite a statemeht.as to exactly what happened.At approximately,6:00 A-M-, another employeebelieved that the name of. the employee wasi " ^ Tbutwasunclear, approached^ jand Belrne regarding a newcall received

over the "Starfix" system. Trfe-new fcaj was from a. flightattendant on Flight #93. The flight attendant of Flight #93said ,that three people with knives and bombs w ere on board and thatthey were taking over the plane. '::;:, ,said that one of the procedures'after.this type ofevent occurs is to attempt to use the "Air Rinc^:system to ,contact the flight rraw J isairf that both flightSuwere sent .messages via "Air Rinc". The.rnessage sent to the planesrequested that the flight crews respond if.they were able..' TheSAMC did not receive a response rom either.plane.

At this time! {contacted OPB in Chicago again Thistime he spoke to Bill Ray, the difector..Qf OPB. They continuedto talk and followe d the checklist for the crisis centerBelme said that he did not know what to tell the flightattendants on the "Starfix" system. Atthis time Belme andi idecided to contact United Airlines Security Personnel and a dayshift employee in the SAMC contacted the FBt:I lalso said that they received other calls fromflights with airborne related concerns. A flight from Narita;Japan requested assistance in disabling the in-flight phoneservice. Kime was unclear as to why the crew wanted this done,but he believed that it was to limit the panic on. .the flight, ,The flight was diverted to Anchorage, Alaska, and it seemed as Ifthe in-flight problems stopped after the .phones were disabled.

[PDF page 2] _ . . , - - " " / '. . ./'265D-NY-280350

lr- 9/11 Personal Privacy

'09/11/2001A United Airlines employee.Working in London in afacility similar to that of SAMC,.contacted the SAMC to tell themthat they had received a

3/19

/9/11 Law Enforcement PrivacyM-INT-00001551/Production Number: M-INT-00001551Case/Serial no: 265A-NY-280350-302-1165 /Date: 09/12/2001Description: I IINTERVIEW/BY SA [

09/12/01J / ''-. ^\ l\ Customer Service RepresentativeCSR for United Airlines, was interviewed at his p^ace ofbusiness, Logan International Airport. Sullivan resides atf I

I t ^telephone number I \ opresent during the interviewywere SA I I 6f the. F.B.I.,and Trooper i '|Massachusetts State\Poi.ice./ Afterbeing advised of the identity of the interviewing agents and thenature of the interview, I provided tjtiefallowinginformation: I~=-/llPersonal Privacy

I "~l has' been employed with United'Airfllines forapproximately five 5 years. On 09/11/2001, I . - - " / ' Tlireportedto work a double shift beginning at 5:00am: It is jhijs. practiceto work a double shift on Tuesdays and have a friend: iw.ork adouble, covering h i s shift, o n Wednesdays...' / j ' I \ n 9/11/2001, I |approximately 4:45am. He attended a daily brief /ngl fjo^ allemployees at 5:00am and subsequently'reported to/the ifront ticketcounters where he checked inpassengers until 6/i/QOa :m.! I |does not recall anyone he checked' in for flight^ 93 cjr p.75.

At 6:00am, I I proceeded to Gatjf #20 t lo Vork a7:00am flight to San Francisco. He closed the/doo.r t|o t^he jetwayat 6:58am and proceeded to Gate #19 to work U^iteof flight number1 7 5 bound f o r L o s Angeles. / / i l lAt approximately 7:30am, I jwas a]bpro!ach0d at thegate counter by a young male, early to mid 2/0's, wittf a djarkcomplexion, possibly middle eastern, who sp0ke ve^ry p;oor ^English.This subject identified himself as Mr. ALGHAMDI a:nd tiold I Ithat his brother had already boarded the flight ^nd Accidentallytook his boarding pass with him. i \d tlje computerand located two passengers with the last name of; ALGrtAMDI, onewith a first initial of E or A and the other wasl H. I Ireprinted a boarding pass for ALGHAMDI for either seat 9C or 9D.The "gate reader", a scanner located at the boarding area, wasnot working for the past two or three davs causing I ~~] toenter the boarded passengers by hand. I I confirmed thatthe person he issued the boarding pass to was A. ALGHAMDI after

Page 1

4/19

M-INT-0000155109/11/01 Boston, Massachusetts265D-NY-280350 09/12/01

I 9/11 La w Enforcement Privacy I

[PDF page 1] .......;::::;::;/y'9/ll Personal Privacy265D-NY-280350 ' ^ - " //\l

reviewing a copy of the flight manifest provided to him\by theinterviewing agent . . , . . ; ; ; : : - ' , / \ . . - - - ' " I could not rec

He also did, not recall ALGHAMDI having/any carry on luggage.| \d notrecall anyother middle easterii men in theboarding area. He left the gate area at approximately 7: 5 inorder to take his scheduled break, r J. another t|nitedCSR who was working the flight with|/was giving awayseats to United employees and family members when I |leftthe gate area. , \ d flight #175 had veits normal load. I I estimated that less than fifty 50people were seated in coach, and six to eight people were seatedin first class, some of which were United employees and theirfamilies. In addition to| V\e also working for United infcne gate area for the boarding of flight #175.[PDF page 2]

Page 2

5/19

9/11 Law Enforcement Sensitive

6/19

7/19

Working Copy Page

Precedence: IMMEDIATE Date: 10/09/2001To: BOSTON Attn:From: BOSTONApproved By:Drafted By:Case ID #: 265A-NY-280350-BS (PENDING)Title: PENTTBOMB .,OQ:NY /9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

Synopsis: ICF #: BS677 /Details: /

INFORMATION CONTROL FORMControl Number: BS677 /Priority: IMMEDIATE Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDMethod of Contact: In Person /Source: US CUSTOMS /Affiliation: / /Phone Number:|JInformation Received Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 8:10 PMPrepared By:|[Component/Agency: I&I/USCEvent:

Event Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 8:10 PMReferences:Categories: INFORMATION SUSPECTTIME LINE INFORMATION

Case ID : 315N-NY-280350-BS Serial : 10368

8/19

Working Copy PageEvent Reviewed By:| |Lead Required?: YESLEADS (s):

Set Lead 1:BOSTON

AT BOSTON, MA

9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

B5677

Set Lead 2:BOSTON

AT BOSTON, MALead Control Number; BS677-A

9/19

Working Copy Page

Precedence: ROUTINETo: BOSTONFrom: BOSTONApproved By:Drafted By:

Date: 10/05/2001Attn:

Case ID #: 265A-NY-280350-BS (PENDING)Title: PENTTBOMBOO:NY 9/11 Law Enforcement PrivacySynopsis: ICF #: BS988Details:

INFORMATION CONTROL FORMControl Number: BS988Priority: ROUTINE Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDMethod of Contact: WritterfSource:Affiliation: FBIPhone Number:Information Received Date:j 09/12/2001 Time: 1:00 PMPrepared By: |_Component/Agency: I&I/FBIEvent:

Event Date: 09/12/2001 j Time: 1:00 PMReferences: jCategories: TIME LINE INFORMATIONEvent Reviewed By:

Case ID : 315N-NY-280350-BS Serial : 8749

10/19

---- Working Copy ---- Page 2Lead Required?: YESLEADS (a) :Set Lead 1:BOSTON

AT BOSTON, MABS988

11/19

W o r k i n g C o p y Page

9/11 Classified Information

12/19

13/19

BEGPRODNO : M-INT-00001690BEGBATES : 265A-NY-280350-302-1419DATE = 09/15/2001FBIDESCR : MIKE A CASTRO 9/12/01INPUTBATCH : NCTA_004 (1st Batch of unredacted 302's delivered inAugust)FULLTEXT : 09/15/2001

/9/11 Personal Privacy

MIKE A.CASTRO.borrTJwas interviewed athis residence by a representative of the Federal Bureau of_| of the Massachusetts Statenvestigation ancPolice. Subsequent to being advised as to the officialidentities of the interviewers, togetherwith the purpose forwhich the interview was being requested, CASTRO provided thefollowing information: ...

CASTRO is employed at United Airlines. Terminal C, ..Logan International Airport, Boston, Massachusetts. In that ..regard, CASTRO performs avariety ofcustomer related services, .the specifics of which are determined by assignment each morningupon reporting for duty.CASTRO recalled that on September 11, 2001, he reported

for work atapproximately 7:20 a.m. There heattended acustomary assignment briefing where he learned that he would beassisting at the ticket check-in counters located atGates 19,20, and 21, as well as to assist in servicing first-classpassengers at the Red Carpet Lounge.During that morning, CASTRO assisted at the UnitedAirlines ticket counter located at Gate 19 on only oneoccasion.His responsibilities in that regard began at approximately7:15 a.m. and lasted for approximately fifteen minutes. Duringthat brief period of time, CASTRO observed two tanned-complectedmales waiting in line to be serviced by counter personnelpreparing for Flight 175. CASTRO stated that the .two tanned-skinned males both carried ticket packets in their hands whilethey waited in line. CASTRO observed that once the two malesreached the head of the line, they turned and went to a far end

seating area where they sat and conversed amongst themselves.CASTRO found this activity strange but Initially attributed it totheir being apparently nervous about flying. CASTRO observed,however, that the two returned to the line only to get out ofline once again as they approached the head of the line. CASTROstated that, during the brief period in which he assisted atGate 19, he observed the two repeat this procedure on threeseparate occasions.09/15/2001 Boston, Massachusetts

265D-NY-280350 / 09/15/2001

'9/11 Law EnforcementPrivacy

L[PDF page 1]265D-NY-280350

MIKE A. CASTRO 09/12/2001During the time that CASTROwas stationed at theGate 19 ticket counter, he never observed either one of the twoactually reach the counter and, therefore, was never in aposition to speak with either individual. CASTRO did, however,

July 7, 2004 7:42 pm Pagel

14/19

overhear the two speaking with each other while standing in line.CASTRO observed hat the two spoke in a foreign language,however, was unable to detect the language in which they spoke.CASTRO described the first tanned skinned male as beingapproximately thirty years of age, approximately 5 feet 9 inchesin height, and having a thin build. CASTRO recalled that he haddark, medium length hair, parted down the middle, and woreneither facial hair nor glasses. CASTRO recalled that he waswearing a dark blue, long-sleeve dress shirt, khaki pants, andcarried one black, briefcase-size, canvas bagwith shoulderstrap. CASTRO has a less precise recollection of the secondmale, recalling that he also was approximately thirty yearsofage and may have been 5 feet 7 inches in height, medium build,wearing dark, short hair. CASTRO recalled that this individualwore a rust-colored checkered shirt and black pants. CASTRO alsorecalled this individual wearing neither facial hair nor glassesand carried a black canvas bag, similar in description to the onecarried by the first individual.CASTRO recalled that both individuals appeared nervouswhile standing in line and often looked downat the groundas ifthey were attempting to avoid eye contact with the gate servicepersonnel. CASTRO did not observe on any occasion eitherindividual interact with anyone other than with one another.CASTRO has no knowledge as to whether either individual actuallyinteracted with anyone at the counteror even as towhethereither boarded the aircraft, in that he only serviced Gate 19 forapproximately fifteen minutes. Once he was reassigned to theother duties, CASTRO had no further observation of eitherindividual.CASTRO was shown a photo spread, subsequent to which heidentified the shorter of the two described males as being oneand the same as the individual reflected byphotograph No. 1appearing on the first page of the photo spread. CASTRO couldnot unequivocally identify the other male, stating only that he

[PDF page 2]265D-NY-280350

MIKE A. CASTRO 09/12/2001 3resembles photograph No. 2, as well as No. 5, on the first pageof the photo spread.[PDF page 3]

July 7, 2004 7:42 pm Page 2

15/19

C H A I RHamilton

ia C H A I RBen-Veniste

S. GorelickGenoa

RoemerR. Humpson

.Zelikow

Date:

TO: TEAMFROM: Dianna Campagna

The attached correspondence fromis being forwarded to you for informat^ and consideration. A copy

for their information. If youlso been sent toTeam(s) shave an y questions, please call me oa 331 -4082. Thank you.

T E L ( 2 0 2 ) 331-4060F A X {202} 29 6-5545www.9- llconunission.gov

16/19

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALSSECOND CIRCUITCM A M MEM or

DENNIS G. JACOBSUNTODCTATCSCOUMTMDUU

FOLXYMUAM*NKW YOMC, NW Vemc 10OO7

UNOFFICIAL

May 22, 998

Mr, Stanley RiversDirector of Airway FacilitiesFederal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, S.W.Washington, D.C.20591Re: Newark International Airport Security

Dear Mr. Rivers:I want to bring to your attention a security problemthat I observed recently travelling through Newark Inter-

national Airport.On March 29, 1998, my wife and I went through securityat 7:30 a.m. t Machine No. 6, serving the entrance to Gates100 to 120. To my close observation, the operator of themachine was not looking at the x-ray monitor. Instead, she

twag nciacnH - i n aloud, jovial, social conversation with[ who evidently was supervising the security attnis spot.Tnat atmosphere, and disregard of the machineand passengers, continued for the several minutes that Ilingered in the area. I went back to watch, and theoperator of Machine No. 6 continued her evident inattention

to the baggage passing through the machine. Anotherpassenger who passed said to his companion, "Well, if I canget through, who can't get through?"--a remark I took tomean that anyone could evade detection of things that thesecurity system was designed to detect.

9/11 Personal Privacy

17/19

Federal AvtattonAdmlnfetroHon

JUN 1 7 1998

The Honorable Dermis G. JacobsCircuit JudgeUnited States Court HouseFoley SquareNew York, New York 10007Dear Mr. Jacobs:This is in response to your May 22 letter regarding pre-board passenger screening at theNewark International Airport, New ark, New Jersey.Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 108, requires airlines to implement securityprocedures to ensure passengers and their carry-on items are screened poor tt > entenng asterile area Those requirements mandate that pre-board screeners operating an x-raySirnotpa cipatein anyother activity. The Checkpoint Security Supervisor isresponsible for ensuring compliance with this requirement.The situation you described in your correspondence appears to conflict with FederalAvLtion Administration (FAA) requirements; therefore, Ihave**y*eEastern Region Civil Aviation Security Division for investigation and to ensure futurecomdSce wiSFederal security requirements. The information and detail contained inirerwlallow theCivil Aviation Security Field Office to conduct a thoroughinvestigation.The FAA's highest priority is the safety and security of the flying public. Thank you foryour concern for civil aviation security.Sincerely,

Cathal L. FlynnAssociate Administrator forCivil A viation Security

18/19

Thomas H. KeanCH A I RLee H. HamiltonVICE CHAIRRichard Ben-VenisteFred F. FieldingJamie S. GorelickSlade GortonBob KerreyJohn F.LehmanTimothy J. RoemetJames R. Thompson

Philip D. ZelikowE X E C U T I V E D I R E C T O R

M ay 21,2004

The Honorable Dennis JacobsJudge, United States Court of Appealsfor the Second CircuitU nited States CourthouseFoley SquareNew York, NY 10007Dear Judge Jacobs:Thank you for your letter of May 7,2004 to the National Commissionon Terrorist Attacks Uponthe United States. We greatly appreciateyour interest and willingness to provide information to theCommission. Your correspondence has been forwarded to theCommission staff members responsible for the study of commercialaviation and transportation security. I'm sure they will find yourpersonal experiencehelpful during the course of their work.You and many fellow citizens have been forthcoming with informationand are helping the Commission to carry out the task the nation has setfor it.W e thank you for your dedication, and please feel free to contact uswith any additional informationyo u feel would be helpful.Sincerely,

Thomas H. KeanChair

301 7 th Street SW, Room 5125Washington, DC 20407T 202.331.4060 F 202.296.5545www.9-llcommission.gov

26 Federal PlazaSuite 13-100New York,NY 10278T 212.264.1505 F 212.264.1595

19/19

UNITED STATES COURT O F A P P E A L SSECOND CIRCUIT

t f * l < * ''CHAMBERS OP

DENNISJACOBSCncurr JUDGE

UNITED STATES COURTHOUSEFOLEV SQUARENEW YO RK. NEW YORK IOOO7

May 7, 2004UnofficialThe Honorable Thomas H. Kean, ChairNational Commission on TerroristAttacks Upon the U.S.301 7th Street, S.W.Room 5125Washington, B.C. 20407Dear Mr. Kean:

I am forwarding the enclosed correspondence from mid-1998 with the hope that it may in some way assist yourinquiries. It is possible that the Commission has foundthis exchange or similar exchanges in the documents you havereviewed. Then again, perhaps not.

Very truly yours,

Dennis Jacobs