t4 b5 charities- grf- legal fdr- entire contents- court docs- withdrawal notice- 1st pgs scanned for...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T4 B5 Charities- GRF- Legal Fdr- Entire Contents- Court Docs- Withdrawal Notice- 1st Pgs Scanned for Reference 280

1/9

No. 03-46

t f j e Supreme Cour t o f t f j e iJnitebG L O B A L R E L I E F F O U N D A T I O N , INC . , P E T I T I O N E R

v.J O H N W . S N O W , S E C R E T A R Y O F T H E T R E A S U R Y

O N PETITION FOR A WRIT OF CERTIORARITO TH E UNITED STATES CO URT O F APPEALSFOR THE SEVENTH CIRCUIT

BRIEF FOR THE RESPONDENT IN OPPOSITION

T H E O D O R E B . O L S O NSolicitor GeneralCounsel of RecordPETER D. KEISLERAssistant Attorney GeneralD O U G L A S N . LETTERH . T H O M A S B Y R O N I I IAttorneys

Department of JusticeWashington, D.C. 20530-0001(202)514-2217

• 8/14/2019 T4 B5 Charities- GRF- Legal Fdr- Entire Contents- Court Docs- Withdrawal Notice- 1st Pgs Scanned for Reference 280

2/9

tljeStates; Court of

Jf or tfie ^ebentl) CircuitNo. 02-2536G L O B A L R E L I E F F O U N D A T I O N , I N C . ,

Plaintiff-Appellant,v.

PA U L H. O'NEILL , Secretary of the Treasury, et al,Defendants-Appellees.

Appeal from th e United States District Court for theNorthern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.No . 02 C 674Wayne R. Andersen, Judge.A R G U E D O C T O B E R 2 9 , 2 0 0 2 D E C I D E D D E C E M B E R 31,2002

Before CUDAHY, COFFEY, and E A S T E R B R O O K , CircuitJudges.

EASTERBROOK, Circuit Judge. Following th e terroristattack of September 11, 2001, the President issued anexecutive order declaring a national emergency and au-thorizing the Secretary of the Treasury to freeze the as-sets ofgroups that "assist in, sponsor, or provide financial,material, or technological support for, or financial or oth-er services to or in support of, such acts of terrorism" tothe extent that statutes permit freezes. Executive Order13224 l(d)(i), 66 Fed. Reg. 49079 (Sept. 23, 2001). Author-ity for this order lies in the International Emergency

3/9

P K O * I C F. t> 3 tFindLowWWW.F tNDLAW.COM

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURTFO R THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOISEASTERN DIVISION

GLOBAL RELIEF FOUNDATION, INC.,Plaintiff ,

No. 01 C 8821HONORABLE DAVID H. COAR

v.NEW YORK TIMES COMPANY,ASSOCIATED PRESS CORPORATION,ABC, INC., GLOBE NEWSPAPERCOMPA NY, a/k/a THE BOSTON GLOBE,DAILY NEWS, L.P., MARTHAMENDO7A, JUDITH MILLER, KURTE1CHENWALD, ANTONIO MORA, ZEFCHAFETTS, MACDANIEL, HEARSTCOMMUNICATIONS, INC., SCOTTWINKOKUR and CHRISTIANBERTHELSEN

Defendants.

MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDERGlobal Relief Foundation ("GRF") brought an action for libel in this Court against six

di f feren t news organizations and the reporters they employ. Each of the de fendan t newsorganizations published a news report at some point between September 24,2001 and November7,2001 referring to a government investigation into possible links to terrorism by GRF and thepossibility that GRF's assets would be frozen, GRF alleges that each news report is false anddefamatory. Before this court is the defendants' joint motion for summary judgment. For the

reasons set forth below, de fendan t s ' motion is granted.

-1 -

4/9

Minute Order Form (06/97)

United States District Court, Northern District of IllinoisName of Assigned Judgeor Magistrate Judge

CASE NUMBERCASETITLE

Wayne R. Andersen2C674

Sitting Judge if Otherthan Assigned JudgeDATE 3/10/2004

Global Relief vs. O'NeillMOTION:

[In Ih e f o l l o w i n g bo x (a) indicate th e party f i ling the mot ion , e.g., p l a i n t i f f , d e f e n d a n t , 3rd par ty p l a i n t i f f , and (b) state b r i e f l y th e natureof th e mot ion being presented.]

DOCKET ENTRY:(1)(2)(3 )W(5)(6)(7)(8)(9)

(10)

nnnDDD

DD

Filed motion of [ use listing in"Motion" boxabove.]Brief in support of motion due .Answer brief to motion due .Reply to answer brief due .R u l i n g / H e a r i n g o n s e t f o r a t .Status hearing[held/continued to] [set for/re-set for] on set for atPretrial conference[heloVcontinued to ] [set for/re-set for] onTrial[set for/re-set for] o n a t .[Bench/Jury trial] [Hearing] held/continued to at

set for at

This case is dismissed [with/without]prejudice andwithout costs[by/agreement/pursuant to]DFRCP4(m) QLocal R ul e 41.1 D FRCP41(a)(l) D FRCP41(a)(2).

[Other docket entry] Pursuantto agreement, plaintiff to respond to defendant's motion to dismissand for summary judgment by 4/13/2004. Defendant to reply by 5/28/2004. Ruling will bemade by mail.

(11) D [Forf u r t h e r detail se e order (o n reverse side of/attached to) the original minute order .]N o notices required, advised in open court .N o notices r e q u i r e d .Notices mai led by judge ' s s t a f f .N o t i f i e d counsel by telephone.Docket ing to mail not ices .Mai l AO 450 f o r m .Copy to judge/magis t rate judge.

TS A courtroomdeputy 'si n i t i a l s \ereceived in' ' central Clerk's Office

t 1 1 2 mdtc docketed

5/9

LEXSEE 207 F SUPP 2D 779GLOBAL RELIEF FOUNDATION, INC., Plaintiff, v. PAUL H. O'NEILL, COLINL. POWELL, JOHN ASHCROFT, R. RICHARD NEWCOMB, and ROBERT S.MUELLER, III, Defendants.

Case No. 02 C 674UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF

ILLINOIS, EASTERN DIVISION

207 F. Supp. 2d 779; 2002 U.S. Dist LEXIS 10494June 11, 2002, Decided

June 11, 2002, Docketed

DISPOSITION: [**1] Plaintiffspreliminary injunctive relief denied. motion fo r

LexisNexis (TM) HEADNOTES - Core Concepts:

COUNSEL: For GLOBAL RELIEF FOUNDATION,INC., plaintiff: Thomas Anthony Durkin, Durkin &Roberts, Chicago, IL .For GLOBAL RELIEF FOUNDATION, INC., plaintiff:Roger C Simmons, Victor E Cretella, III, Matthew HSimmons, Shawn P Cavenee, Gordon & Simmons,Frederick, MD.For COLIN L POWELL, JOHN ASHCROFT, RRICHARD NEWCOMB, ROBERT S MUELLER, III,defendants: Thomas P. Walsh, United States Attorney'sOffice, Chicago, IL .JUDGES: Wayne R. Andersen, United States DistrictJudge.OPINIONBY: Wayne R. AndersenOPINION: [*784]

MEMORANDUM OPINION AND ORDERThis case is before the Court on the motion ofplaintiff Global Relief Foundation, Inc. for preliminaryinjunctive relief pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil

Procedure 65. For the following reasons, the motion isdenied.

OVERVIEWBefore addressing the motion for preliminaryinjunction filed by the plaintiff, Global Relief

Foundation ("Global Relief), a brief description of thiscase is in order.On December 14, 2001, the Federal Bureau of

Investigation ("FBI") searched the headquarters ofGlobal Relief and the home of its executive director.Pursuant to the searches, [**2] materials were seizedfor analysis by the FBI. Global Relief contends that boththe search and seizure were unauthorized by law andunconstitutional. [*785] The defendants maintain thatboth the search and seizure were lawfully authorized bythe Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and that theywere constitutional. This Court agrees with thedefendants.

Also on December 14, 2001, the Office of ForeignAsset Control ("OFAC") of the United StatesDepartment of the Treasury issued a blocking orderfreezing the financial assets of Global Relief pending theFBI's investigation of what relationship, if any, GlobalRelief might have to the terrorists behind the September11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and thePentagon. Global Relief contends that the ordertemporarily "freezing" its assets was not authorized bystatute, executive order or the Constitution. Thedefendants maintain that this blocking order was bothlawful and constitutional. They cite the InternationalEmergency Economic Powers Act, as amended by theUSA Patriot Act, as the statutory basis for the authorityto issue the blocking order. This authority was granted

6/9

02/25/2003 36 MINUTE ORDER of 2/25/03 by Hon. James H. Alesia : Based on therepresentation by defendants that plaintiff wishes to dismiss this casewith prejudice, this case is voluntarily dismissed with prejudice andwithout costs. All pending motions are moo t, terminating case. Mailednotice (Ixs) [Entry date 02/26/03]MINUTE ORDER of 5/14/02 by Hon. James H. Alesia : Although the defendantsrequested a stay, they did not file a formal motion to stay. Therefore, on the court's ow nmotion, the court stays this case in its entirety until the conclusion of the parallel criminalcase, United States v. Benevolence Int'l Found., et al,. No. 02 CR 414 (N.D> 111., FiledApr. 29, 2002). Case stayed. Entered Memorandum Opinion and Order. Mailed notice byjudge's staff (Ixs) [Entry date 05/15/02]GRF caseStill being litigatedAdam J Szubin[COR]United States Department of Justice Civil Division, Federal Programs Branch20 Massachusetts A venue, NWRoom 7132Washington, DC 20530USA(202)514-2000Anne M Joseph[COR]United States Departmen t of Justice Civil Division. Federal Programs Branch20 Massachusetts Avenue, NWRoom 7132W ashington, DC 20530USA(202)514-2000

7/9

L e X J s N e X I S Search ResultsC o u r t L i n k * phone: 866-54-8818

Requested By: Melissa Cof feyCompany: 9-11 C ommiss ion

Email: dgreenburg@9-11commiss ion .govFax:

Phone: 202-331-4066Client Matter #:

Search ID : 77776Search Criteria: 1:02cr892 USA v. Enaam M. Arnao ut , e t al in I ll ino is US No rthern Dis tr ic t C ou r t /ChicagoDate Requested: 3/19/2004Date Completed: 3/22/2004

CourtLink Agent: Jenn i fe rEmail To: eaccessservice@courtl ir ik.com

Comments: Melissa,Please see attached 33 pages.Thank you f o r you r o rde r ,Jenn i fe r

Page 1 of 1

8/9

WITH D R A W A L N O T I C ERG: 148Box: 00002 Folder: 0005 Document: 2Series: Team 4 FilesCopies: 1 Pages: 2

ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

Folder Title: Charities -- GRF -- LegalDocument Date: 12-12-2001Document Type: ReportSpecial Media:From:To:

Subject: report of the Financial Review Group

In the review of this file this item was removed because access to it isrestricted. Restrictions on records in the National Archives are stated ingeneral and specific record group restriction statements which are availablefor examination.

NND: 401Withdrawn: 09-30-2008 by:RETRIEVAL #: 401 00002 0005 2System DocID: 4661

9/9

In tfje Supreme C o u r t of tfje Uni t cbNo . 03-46

G L O B A L R E L I E F F O U N D A T I O N , I N C . , P E T I T I O N E Rv.

J O H N W . S N O W , S E C R E T A R Y O F T H E T R E A S U R Y

O N PETITION F O R A WRIT O F C E R T I O R A R ITO TH E UNITED S T A T E S COU R T OF A P P E A L S

FOR THE SEVENTH CIRCUIT

BRIEF FOR THE RESPONDENT IN OPPOSITION

OPINIONS BELOWT he op in ion of the c o u r t o f appeals (Pet. App. la-lO a)is rep o r te d at 315 F.3d 748. T he o pin ion of the dis tr ic tc o u r t (Pet. App. lc-61c) is r e p o r t e d at 207 F. S u p p . 2d779.

JURISDICTION

T he c o u r t o f a p p e a l s e n t e r e d i ts j u d g m e n t o nD e c e m b e r 31 , 2002. A p e t i t i o n fo r r e h e a r i n g w asd e n i e d o n Apri l 4, 2003 (Pet. App. Ih). T he p e t i t i o n fo ra writ o f c e r t i o r a r i w as f i led o n J u l y 3, 2003. T hej u r i s d i c t i o n o f th i s C o u r t is i n v o ke d u n d e r 28 U .S .C .1254(1).

(1)