t2 b5 intel authorization bills fdr- memos and requests for briefing-interview with cia606

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T2 B5 Intel Authorization Bills Fdr- Memos and Requests for Briefing-Interview With CIA606

1/6

TO: Dan/SteveFROM: GordonCC: KevinDATE: May 15, 2003

(.RE: Requests fo r Briefings, Interviews, and Docum ents From th e IntelligenceCommunity

Good afternoon. Kevin and I would be grateful if we can meet to discuss the process fo rrequesting briefings, interviews, an d documents from th e Intelligence Community. For_ example, we have_some questions about the relative roles of Adam Ciongols/n closed by s ta tute9/11 closed by statute^wewould j jke to discuss our interest in receiving overv iew

briefings about th e Intelligence Communi ty ' s structure an d processes. Thank you.

• 8/14/2019 T2 B5 Intel Authorization Bills Fdr- Memos and Requests for Briefing-Interview With CIA606

2/6

TO : Adam Ciongol iDepartment of JusticeTHROUGH: D an MarcusFROM : Kevin ScheidSUBJECT: Briefings and Interviews Rega rding CIAPlease arrange a background briefing by the end of May 2003, to be h eld at theCom mission's off ice, that covers th e topics se t forth below. The br ief ing should be heldat th e TS/SCI level.A . Communi ty Manag ement: The organizations that perform Intell ige nceCommunity coordination ( intell igence policy formulation, collection

[National Intelligence Collection Board], analysis [National Intell ig enc eProduction Board], budget, f inancial oversight, legal review ,Congressional affairs, and inspector general responsibilities).B. The Intelligence Priorities Process. The process by which th e Intell igenceCom mun i ty establishes pr iori t ies .C. The Budget Process: The process by which th e Intel ligence Co mm uni tyformulates it s budget.D. The General Counse l: Statutes, Exe cutive Orders, and regulat ionsgoverning the Intel l igence Co m mu ni ty 's s t ructu re and operations.E. The Central Intelligence Agency.

The Directorate of Operations: Its organizational structure andprocesses, and the tradecraft of H U M I N T .

The Directorate of Intelligence: Its organizational structure andprocess, and the tradecraft of analysis. The Terrorist Threat Integration Center: Its organ iza t iona lstructure and processes. The Counterterrorist Center: Its origins, organizational structure,an d operations.

I 9/11 Closed by Statute ICen tral Intell igence Agency

C:\WINNT\Profiles\kevin\Personal\InterviewRequestsCIA05152003.doc

3/6

TO: Dan Marcus and Steve DunneFROM: Gordon LedermanDATE: May 16, 2003SUBJECT : Requ est for Interview c l o s e d b y s t a t u t e

I would l ike to request an interview \/.lJ; closed by statute-^ QA. to learn aboutth e Director of Central Intelligence's authorities vis-a-vis covert action. Attac hed is adraft request to be sent to|9/11 closed bv statute]^ Adam Ciongoli at DOJ. I would begrateful if you would transmit th is document or let me know if you have an y questions orconcerns. Thank you.

CC: Kevin Scheid

4/6

"TO: 9/1:L Closed by StatuteCentral Intelligence Agency

T H R O U G H : Dan Marcus, General CounselSteve Dun ne, Deputy General CounselNational Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon th e Unite d States

FROM: Gordon LedermanNational Comm ission on Terrorist Attacks Up on the United StatesDATE: May 16, 2003SUBJECT: Request for Interview wg/ 'n closed by s t a t u t e

Please arrange an interview for me \?/i.j closed b y s t at u tender to discuss theDirector of Central Intelligence's statutory an d regulatory authori t ies ( including th eNational Sec urity Act and Executive Orders) and how they relate to co unterterrorism.The brie fing shou ld be held at the unclassified level. In the future, I may request follow-up interviews9 /Ai-_ c] -osed bv statutgiassified level. I may be reached at K ev in Sche id'stelephone num ber, (202) 331-4069.

Thank you.

CC: Adam CiongoliDepartment of JusticeKevin ScheidNational Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States

5/6

The Na tional Comm ission on Terrorist Attacks Aga inst the U nited States requests afollow-up discussion as soon as possible with appropriate CIA experts on thedevelopment and evolut ion of al-Qaeda as a terrorist entity. This discussion may beeither "on the record" or "off the record," and will be attended by a limited num ber ofCommission staff (n o more than four) whose dominant focus is this issue. W e w ould l iketo meet with members of the DCI Review Group, together with any other appropriateAgency expe rts (as determined by the Agency ). W e envision an informal discussion,rather than a formal briefing, and, as noted above, the discussion may be off the record.The discussion w ould be d irected at inform ation obtained by the Un ited States, not onmeans an d methods by which it was obtained. W e see no reason why any information onU.S. covert actions need arise in this discussion.Among th e issues w e would like to discuss are:

1) W hat is the current thinking on w hethe r m ajor terrorist attacks from the early andmid 1990s, including the first World Trade Center bombing and the abortedBojinka plot, werejM-Qaeda operations? W as Ramzi Yousef an Al Qaedaoperative, and if so, when did he become such?

2) Al Qaeda's development an d evolution includes various ties with other foreignterrorist organizations wo rldwide. W e are interested in obtaining ascomp rehensive a picture as possible on the exten t and nature of these links, fromAl Qaeda' s early days through its development an d evolution while headquarteredin Sudan an d Afghanistan.3) State sponsorship of Al-Qaeda. In addition to the obviou s examples of Sudan andAfghanistan during the periods that Al-Qaeda was headquartered in those

countries, there have been allegations that foreign governments, in pa rticular Iraqand/or Iran, or elements of yegkt governments', have supported al-Qaeda or turneda blind eye to its operations. W e are intere sed in an assessment of this issue.4) Al-Qaeda and no nconven tional weapons of mass destruction. W e are interested indiscussing th e history an d development of Al-Qaeda' s attempts to develop or obtainbiological, chemical, radiological, an d nuclear weap ons.

Finally, we note that at the March 20 off-the-record briefing provided toCommission staff by the DCI Rev iew G roup, we w ere told that 1) the Commission w ouldbe provided access to a CIA-prepared chronology of events relating to the evolution of al-Qaeda, and 2) the DCI Review Group would prepare a selected b ibliography of classifiedanalytical assessments. If at all possible, the Com mission w ould greatly app reciatereceiving access to these documents at or before the meeting that is the subject of thisrequest.

6/6

H. KeanC H A I R

HamiltonBen-Veniste

ClelandFielding

S. Gorelick

J. RoemerR. Thompson

D. Zelikow

CIA BRIEFING REQUEST NO. 5The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States (the"Commission") requests an informal background briefing as soon as possible from theDirector and any other appropriate officials at the Counterterrorism Center ("CTC")on CTC's activities since the attacks of September 11, 2001, including changes toCTC's organizational structure, leadership, personnel, funding, an d processes, as wellas an overview of CTC's major analytical produ cts for internal or external use sinceSeptember 11,2001.This requ est is for an "off the record" briefing that w ill be attended by a limitednumber of Commission staff whose investigative focus encompasses these issues (andpossibly one or more Com missioners). The requested briefing is for generalbackground purpo ses only and will not be a subs titute for subsequent interviews theComm ission and its staff may wish to conduct.June 25, 2003 Daniel MarcusGeneral Counsel

T E L (202) 331-4060F A X (202) 296-5545

www.9-1lcommission.gov