unit 2 planet earth
Post on 12-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1.UNIT 2:PLANET EARTH
2. HOW EARTH MOVES
- The Earth moves in two ways:rotationandtraslation.
- Rotation:Movement of the Earth around its own axis. It causes night and day. The Sun rises in the east and sets in the west.
- Revolution:The Earth orbits the Sun. This causes theseasons.
5. THE SEASONS
- The Sun heats the northernhemisphereor the southern hemisphere more strongly depending on the time of year.
- Perihelion : Earth is closest to the Sun.
- Aphelion:Earth is farthest from the Sun.
- The days when seasons change are calledequinoxandsoltice.
- Spring equinox, Summer solstice, Autumn equinox, Winter solstice.
6. The seasons 7. ACTIVITIES
- Where the Sun rise? Where does it set? Why do you think we see it that way?
- True or False?
- The days whenthe season changes are called ellipse and ecliptic.
- Spring equinox is on 21st June.
- In the northern hemisphere days are longer than nights during winter.
8. THE MOON
- The Moon is the Earths only satellite.
- Its surface is full ofcraters . Caused by the impact of meteorites.
- The Moon has two movements:
- Rotation: It takes 28 days.
- Revolution: It orbits the Earth. It takes 28 days.
- We always see the same side of the Moon because rotation and revolution take the same time. The other side is calledthe hidden side .
9. PHASES OF THE MOON
- The Moon shows 4 different phases:
- New Moon : We cannot see the Moon.
- First Quarter : We can see the right side illuminated.
- Full Moon:We see the whole Moon illuminated.
- Last Quarter:We can see the left side illuminated.
- Moon Phases
- Aneclipseoccurs when a celestial body hides another temporarily. It can be partially or completely.
- Lunar eclipse :It occurs when Earth blocks the Sun's rays from the Moon.
- Solar eclipse : Itoccurs at New Moon when the Moon passes between Earth and Sun.
- Lunar eclipse
13. 14. THE TIDES
- Thetidesare periodic movements of the level of the seas due to the attraction of the Moon and the Sun.
- When the water level rises is calledhigh tide.
- When the water level goes down is calledlow tide.
- What do we call the side of the Moonwe cannot see?
- Which has more influence on tides, the Moon or the Sun?
- True or false?
- The Earth takes 375 days to orbit the Sun
- The Earth rotates from east to west.
- The Earth goes around the Sun in an elliptical orbit.
- The revolution of the Earth is the movement of the Earth around its own axis.
16. THE EARTHS SPHERES
- The Earth is formed by four spheres:
- The atmosphere : It is formed by a mixture of gases, called air.
- The hydrosphere : is all water on the Earth.
- The geosphere : is the solid part altough it can be viscous. Three layers:crust ,mantleand thecore .
- The biosphere : is the living things which inhabit the Earth.
- 1. Make a drawing of the Earths spheres and label them in English and Spanish.