The Librarian as Repository Manager David Kane Systems Librarian Waterford Institute of Technology.
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- The Librarian as Repository Manager David Kane Systems Librarian Waterford Institute of Technology
- Slide 2
- Stucture of this Presentation My Background The Changing Role of The Library History of WIT Repository The Main Challenge Previous Promotional Efforts Current Promotional Efforts Related Projects
- Slide 3
- How did I end up doing this? Undergraduate degree: Zoology Postgrad. Diploma: Internet Systems Development D.I.T. Worked in the web development industry Later; DLIS Aberystwyth (MILS pending) WIT Libraries
- Slide 4
- My View of The Changing Library In the past: Historically, a place for storing and preserving information Today: More information outside library walls than inside Great challenge for Librarians
- Slide 5
- How the WIT Repository Happened 2007 Set up Dell PowerEdge 2900 Custom Design LDAP Integration
- Slide 6
- How the WIT Repository Happened
- Slide 7
- Repository Benefits Open Access to research is about making research freely accessible, to all humanity. Permanently. Increase in citation count Accessible to those who cant afford journal subscriptions It undermines a 350 year old publishing model 97% Green!
- Slide 8
- The Major Challenge Academics are: Comfortable with tried and tested forms of scholarly communication Comfortable with their colleagues in the same speciality They already have their social networks
- Slide 9
- Promotion Efforts Emails Information Sessions Flyers Video Institutional Website Repository Linkage Twitter Data entry (and quite a bit of perspiration!)
- Slide 10
- Current Promotion Focus Looking for ways to involve the research office more closely.... Gathering of references from institute staff Creation of a repository blog ( http://repository.wit.ie/blog )http://repository.wit.ie/blog Institutional Open Access Mandate
- Slide 11
- Open Access Mandates in Ireland The 5 Major Research Funding Bodies: IRCSET SFI HEA HRB (position statement) IRHCSS (under discussion) Academic Institutions: DIT WIT (hopefully)
- Slide 12
- Slide 13
- ResearchScope : A novel way to improve the visibility of Irish Open Access Research
- Slide 14
- Purpose Improve the findability of Irish Open Access research on the Web. Add an element of serendipity to repository records, in the metadata pages of repositories. Made possible with additional code that generates keyword-relationships between different records.
- Slide 15
- ResearchScope is A modified implemetation of PKPs Harvester2 http://researchscope.net/
- Slide 16
- The harvesting of Metadata Research- Scope Repository
- Slide 17
- is followed by generation of keyword relationships, and then Research- Scope Repository
- Slide 18
- the return of value added data Research- Scope Repository
- Slide 19
- in the form of links Research- Scope Repository
- Slide 20
- between all the records in the federation
- Slide 21
- more inward pointing links = higher search ranking in Google Repository
- Slide 22
- The links can actually appear at the bottom of each record in any of the repositories, and connect to similar research in the same, or other repositories. There is evidence that real, keyword-rich links are the best kind in terms of getting a favourable search engine ranking
- Slide 23
- 90% of the papers in your repository will have no links pointing to them. Therefore, with a lower page rank, they are less likely to be found by researchers. ResearchScope breaks this cycle.
- Slide 24
- Inward pointing links = higher search ranking in Google Lets see this in action
- Slide 25
- Slide 26
- Finally. To try this out yourself. Visit: http://researchscope.net/keyword/ Thanks.
View more >
Delivering Library Services through a Virtual Learning Environment Plug-In: “Library Reading Lists.” David Kane Systems Librarian Waterford Institute of.
Characterizing Open Access Publishing @ Your Institution Lilly Li, Digital Repository Librarian David E. Hubbard, Science & Engineering Librarian.
Tamara Brathwaite Librarian I, Institute of International ?· 2013-07-16 · Tamara Brathwaite Librarian…
Competition HRL-16-032 Technology Librarian 70 Hours ?· Competition HRL-16-032 Technology Librarian…
LiveLabs Pivot A Future Direction for Library Search? David Kane Systems Librarian Waterford Institute of Technology.
DEVELOPING AN INSTITUTIONAL REPOSITORY USING GREENSTONE DIGITAL LIBRARY (GSDL) SOFTWARE O. Seshaiah, Librarian PBR Visvodaya Institute of Technology and.
EBooks and eReaders: tipping points, is 26 the magic number and predicting the future Terry O’Brien Deputy Librarian Waterford Institute of Technology.
Library Network Support Services (LNSS) Jerald Cavanagh Institute Librarian Limerick Institute of Technology.
April 2005 Debbie Morrow, Systems Librarian, Jeff Daniels, Periodicals Cataloging Manager, & Bob Schoofs, Periodicals Librarian 1 LinkFinderPlus : Linking.
Professional progression of a subject librarian Suzanne Rushe Subject Librarian for Engineering Limerick Institute of Technology https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmjames58/11308905504