team lotus launch, t128

8/7/2019 Team Lotus Launch, T128 http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 1/24 VIBRANT FAMI LY RACERS INSPIRED AGILE PEDIGREE HEROIC INCREDIBLE PASSION STEADFAST ENERGETIC INNOVATIVE FRESH UNDERDOGS POTENTIAL BRAVE PROGRESSIVE AWESOME FOCUS SPORTING DYNAMI C RESOLUTE LEGENDARY PULSATING SPIRIT 2011 LAUNCH EDI TI ON TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Upload: liviuaileni

Post on 09-Apr-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: Team Lotus Launch, T128

8/7/2019 Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 1/24

VIBRANT

FAMILYRACERSINSPIREDAGILEPEDIGREE

HEROICINCREDIBLE

PASSIONSTEADFAST

ENERGETIC

INNOVATIVEFRESHUNDERDOGS

POTENTIAL

BRAVEPROGRESSIVE

AWESOME

FOCUSSPORTING

DYNAMIC

RESOLUTE

LEGENDARY

PULSATING

SPIRIT

2011 LAUNCH EDITION TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 2: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 2/24

Welcome and thank you. We decided to show the irstpictures of our 2011 challenger in Team Lotus Notes

as it is you the fans, who truly power us on and motivateour steps forward. I hope you enjoy the irst taste

of our beautiful green and yellow car, and

I hope you enjoy reading this; an honest and openinsight, written from the heart of the team.

When I was asked to pick one word to describeTeam Lotus, a million looded into my mind!

But eventually I had to come back to where it all startedfor me – dreams. Team Lotus is about dreams, and

those dreams becoming reality. I remember when I wasa boy, running a hole in the carpet with my model LotusFormula One™ car. I had dreams then, I still do, but whatI hope to inspire is the belief that if you dare to dream,

you can achieve great things.

Colin Chapman created the last dynasty and it’s onethat inspires me and all my team to do more, think

more, be more every day. But now it is time for us tocreate our own legend. Thank you for sharing this

spirit of adventure with us, for being a part of our team,for stepping onto the rollercoaster we’re about to

ride and daring to dream.

Tony Fernandes

WELCOME BACK

THE GOOD ALWAYS WIN.’TONY FERNANDES

M LOTUS NOTES

WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 3: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 3/24

HIS YEAR’S CAR IS A MUCH MORE CONTEMPORARYESIGN. THE CAR REALLY WILL BE A MIDFIELD RUNNER.MODERN F1 ™ CAR. I’M VERY CONFIDENT IT IS AGSTEP UP AND IT’S THE START OF A PROCESS THATAKES TEAM LOTUS BACK TO THE FRONT OF THE GRID.’

IKE GASCOYNE

AMLOTUS.CO.UK WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

Page 4: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 4/24

HE LAST SIX WEEKS HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC FOR ME,OING BASIC TRAINING INITIALLY AND NOW SHIFTINGPA GEAR TO GET THE PERFORMANCE LEVELS RIGHT.EEN A GREAT WINTER AND I THINK I’M THEST PREPARED I’VE EVER BEEN.’

EIKKI KOVALAINEN

Page 5: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 5/24

TTING ON THE GRID IN BAHRAIN THIS YEAR WILL FEELVERY DIFFERENT – A DIFFERENT TENSION. LAST YEARWE WERE JUST AIMING TO FINISH THE RACE. THIS YEARWE’LL BE AIMING TO FINISH IN THE POINTS. BUT WITHHE PACKAGE WE HAVE, THAT SHOULD BE ACHIEVABLE.’ARNO TRULLI

Page 6: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 6/24

INVASION OF THEPOD(CAST) PEOPLETwo of our brand new favourite friendsdropped by to award us the A.D.U.T.A.trophy last week. Kevin and Terryof the comic ‘Another F1™ Podcast’presented us with their UnderdogAward for being best of the new teamsin 2010. They brought us a fantastictrophy and a hand-crafted Team LotusFormula One™ car (below). We showedMarianne, our Head of Aero, and shesaid that although she appreciated thee ort, the front wing in particular wasn’tquite what we’re looking for. We werechu ed with the trophy, though, andawarded it to Heikki (who won A.D.U.T.ADriver of the Year).You can listen to the podcast onlinefor free, plus hear about their

adventures at the Team Lotus HQ.Simply go to iTunes and downloadit now.

NEWSHE HOT SEAT

Heikki and Jarno (picturednd below) came to the factoryly for a seat itting for the all-eam Lotus challenger. Theyopped by just before Christmase pair arrived again last weekk through the inal details. The

n the drivers have to go throughdue to the chassis changing,

ot on account of how manymas puddings they’ve had!

drivers were impressed with thephere in the factory and theess of the car, and were eager tock on track. Keep an eye out forfor our latest videos of them.

OGGING AWAYLotus’ Marketing andmunications department is

to welcome a new graphicner to the fold, Christian Cl ogger.anger to Formula One™,ian’s brother Liam was, untily, Press O icer for AirAsia’sr partner Williams F1™. Having toce a new baby boy at home andgn pretty much everything here it’s been a baptism of ire forian but they do say it’s fastest

ng sport in the world so…

NEAT TWEET #1@tonyfernandes “Hi Tony, car looksvery, very good, I hope it’s as quick as itlooks, certainly a very big step forward.New we need to wait for track resultsbut I’m con ident. From Jarno.”

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 7: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 7/24

NS OF THE TIMESf the biggest changeshe winter season wasmoval of our old signe beautiful new Teamsignage going up. We’rensely proud of ourtic headquarters andg up the Team Lotus signe next big step in our

development. Over theew months (and years!)will be a lot of updateshumble Hingham homee’ll keep you postedthem all!

HEIKKI SQUASHEDFormula One™ drivers are inelytuned machines, supreme athleteswhose expert re lexes give theman advantage over us mere mortals,right? Think again.

Team Lotus boss Tony Fernandesrecently challenged HeikkiKovalainen to a gentle game ofsquash, a contest the ace driverreckoned he’d have no problemwinning. How wrong he was…

“It didn’t go very well for me,” Heikkilamented after being run o court byhis opponent. “I lost 3 0 to him andonly managed to win one point! In the

end, I think it was 9 1, 5 0, 5 0. But I’dnever played the game before!

“I igured I’d just get Tony running.I thought ‘Well, I’m itter than Tony,so if I just get him out of breath thenno problem’. But it wasn’t so easy.Basically, I had no chance! He wascompletely controlling the gameand I didn’t know what to do.”

Of course, everyone knows that F1™drivers are notoriously bad losers, andHeikki’s already looking for revenge.

“I’ll de initely practice a bit more,”he said. “I’ll ind a coach and I’ll belooking for a re-match.”

NEAT TWEET #2@tonyfernandes “RT @H_Kovalainen:Things looking great at Lotus, bigthanks to Mike and the shareholders,and of course all the members of theteam who are working very hard!”

“Hey Max, what have youbeen up to over the winter?

“Hi Sam. You know, the usual:getting clipped, sleeping a

lot, eating things I shouldn’t,wrecking some furniture and

debating the merits of themovable rear wing

and calculating whetherthe delta is su icient to makeovertaking in Formula One™

a knife-edge possibility or themotor racing equivalent of the

bus you’re not waiting for.” –

“What?”

“They come along everytwo minutes.”

“Sounds complicated.”

“It is Sam. But not as tricky asdriving a Formula One™ car –

there’s so much for the driver tocontend with in the cockpit thisyear, it would make you dizzy.”

“If you’re a certain seven-timeworld champion, I think it

already has”“Hmmm... simulated sickness.Tricky one. How you can tell

if it’s even real…”

WOOF!THE THINK TANKSomething you don’t see in any otherFormula One™ factory is the ChiefTechnical O icer pulling a joke onhis sta . As we expand, one of thefactory’s front-of-house rooms hasbeen re-developed and has beena ectionately named ‘The Aquarium’...It’s right by reception, so it’s becomecompulsory to make ish facesthrough the window to those inside,hence Mike Gascoyne’s impromptubit of interior design (below).

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 8: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 8/24

THISYEAR’SMODEL been a while in the making

d it’s very di erent from lastar’s car: ladies and gentlemen,s is the the new Team Lotus allenger, and here’s how itme about…

WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

AML OTUS.CO.UK

M LOTUS NOTES

Page 9: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 9/24

Gascyone (Chief Technical O icer):ast year’s car and especially the irstf the season it was just an exercise inal, whereas from the middle of last yearabout building the team up – that’swe started working on this car.nne Hinson (Head ofynamics): In aerodynamics, we’ll startng about a new car before any of thedepartments, and we started l ookingcar around Spring last year. We begining down with the new regulationsse there’s almost always something

Normally, you’d take the previous year’sa basis, talk about what engine andox will be used and roughly whateed to be packaged inside the car,

move on to where the aerodynamictions have changed the most.Butler (Chief Designer): In my role, I

d looking at this car around June lastwhile I was working on iterations of thecar.nne: I have to say that the start of thess is a really fun period, when you’reng through the new rules, thrashing outand trying to ind loopholes.Dason-Barber (Head of R&D ande Dynamics): It’s a very complex

ss – take the front wing, for example.ero department would’ve startedng on it during the middle of last year,to make it generate as much load asle. Design will then focus on makingenough so that it isn’t too lexible onBetween them they’ll re ine the designng through a number of iterations. Atme time, I’ll start looking at the nosen and by crashing test pieces into a

we can start to see if it’s a ‘little too sti ’t sti enough’ in the event of a realIt’s con licting requirements from three

ent departments that make the processmplex. You’re probably looking at 20e being involved in the design of one

I think the thing that was a challengear was that the 2010 car really waso , because of the way it was donehe design team and the time wehere’s been almost no carry-over ofor the 2011 car, whereas normallyhave a substantial carry-over and thee to optimise last year’s parts. It looksntially di erent from last year’s car – it

much more ‘current’ feel about it. Ande basis of our cars for the future.

I think people will be quite impressedhe shape of the bodywork comparedyear.Absolutely. It really follows current

n trends, and aerodynamically it’s muchevolved. I mean, a car is really the sum00 small details, so it’s hard to pick outic areas that are particularly brilliant,

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 10: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 10/24

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 11: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 11/24

but overall it’s a much more optimised workof design and engineering.Dieter Gass (Sporting Director): If therewere speci ic things to get really excitedabout I probably wouldn’t want tell you whatthey were!Lewis: Personally, I really like the suspensionat the front. It’s not necessarily thatoutlandish but it’s very tidy. I like the roll hooparrangement too. A lot of the stu that I likeas a designer is probably stu you can’t seebecause it’s underneath the bodywork!Elliot: I agree – the area that intrigues methe most is the front suspension, and therear as well actually. We’ve tried to push theboundaries with a few things to make it a bitlighter and more e icient.Marianne: I can’t give away too manysecrets, but I think the front half of the car isquite a big step away from the 2010 car. Lastyear’s car was a bit blocky in the sidepodarea, but this one looks a lot racier – it’s a lotsmoother and curvier around the sidepods.Lewis: That was the biggest designchallenge, actually – just trying to packageeverything a bit smaller. We were trying toget that area around the driver really tight sothe aerodynamicists were happy with it.Keith Saunt (Chief Operating O icer):You can just see that this car will be fasterthan last year’s. It’s got the right sweeps andcurves on it – it’s the very latest version ofwhat an F1™ car should be. One of the thingspeople have mentioned, though, is that we’renot using KERS…Lewis: Well, the decision not to use KERSmade the design job slightly easier, becausepackaging it in the car is always a bit more ofa headache.Marianne: It’s the same for us inaerodynamics: no KERS is actually easierbecause packaging all the bits you need for itis actually quite limiting for some of the aeroshapes you need in some areas.Keith: If KERS was going to get us fromeighth to sixth then we’d have it. But whenyou look at the weight of it and some of theengineering challenges, I think it’s a gooddecision not to start with it. We might endup with it, who knows? But if we did we’vegot a lot of experienced people who couldturn their hands to it. If we had to designa motorised catamaran canoe in a day, Ireckon we could do that too! We’ve gotsome very clever people here.Lewis: Then there was the moveable rearwing. When I irst heard about it I was quiteexcited; any opening up of the regulations isalways a challenge and it’s good fun.Marianne: Absolutely. Whenever somethinglike that comes up in the rules, it’s certainlya new challenge for us in terms of how touse it and what sort of performance weshould be looking for aerodynamically. Thechallenge is working out what e ect you’dlike it to have in terms of optimum lap times.

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 12: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 12/24

THE SECOND SEASON IS ALWAYS CRUCIALAND EXPECTATIONS GO HIGHER...

WE ARE NOT ANEW TEAM ANYMORE.I NEED TO TAKE

THE NEXT STEP INPUSHING THE TEAM.

EXPECTATIONS ARE HIGHERBUTALL OF US ARE READY FOR ITAND WE’RE ALL VERY MOTIVATEDTO MAKE THAT NEXT STEP.

: It was a bit less of a challenge thanght it would be, though. Once you’ved at all the di erent concepts you canwasn’t that hard to achieve a solution.

k we have quite a neat, simple systems car.

One of the best bits is when the car’sed and it’s ired up for the irst time. Youetting excited when you see what it’sto look like in CAD, but when it’s built

ou inally see it, that’s really incredible. Ietty nervous just before it’s irst ired upe’s always something small that needs

unless you’re lucky…: I don’t really get nervous… There’sment and then relief when it’s actuallyone!Oh, I’m always nervous! But it’s a

, great, exciting nervous. To be ablethe fruits of everyone’s labour ishing you don’t get much in otherries.I think that basically, when you look

car it looks like a front-running car inarea. We’ve said very clearly that we

want to start challenging the establishedteams, and I think that’s very achievable.But that line has to continue going up, sowe’ll have to target being up there with ToroRosso, Sauber and Force India, and then endthe season by targeting Williams and Renault.Dieter: Absolutely. We want and need tocatch up with the midifeld, and get somepoints.Keith: A lot of people might say I’m toooptimistic… But I’d like to think we’ll getbetween 40 and 50 points this year. I thinkwe’re targeting eighth strategically, but Idoubt there’ll be a lot between sixth, seventhand eighth. Depending on how the otherguys are doing, seventh could be achievable.Elliot: We’re de initely going to take a stepforward with this car. Quite how much we’llclose the gap to the teams in front of us, we’llsee, but my hope is we’ll be competing withthe teams that were a second or two aheadof us last season. When you’re two secondsbehind someone it’s tough; when you’re halfa second behind, you can start racing them.Marianne: It would certainly be a real

achievement to be able to competewith some of those established teamsin only our second year.Mike: The thing is, every team says they’regoing to progress each year and peoplemight say, ‘Well why are you going to doit better, then?’ The simple fact is that they’regoing to keep doing what they do – whereaswe’re growing up. We’ve got resourcescoming on stream now, like new CFDresources and a new wind tunnel programmein the UK, that we’ve never had. What we cando now will get better.Keith: I think it could be a very goodyear for us.Mike: The problem for these other teamsis that if we’ve been going for a year andthen we start beating them, it’s a very clearmessage and it sends out a story which isembarrassing for them and good for us. Itwould be great for Formula One™ if thiscar can take us into the mid ield, becauseit shows what’s achievable for a properlyrun small team.

AFRONT-RUNNING CAR IN EVERY AREA."MIKE GASCOYNE

”HEIKKI KOVALAINEN

M LOTUS NOTES

AML OTUS.CO.UK WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 13: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 13/24

15FORMULA 101

NCREDIBLEF1™ FACTS

New subscriber to Team Lotus Notes ?Don’t panic! Here’s our handy guide toF1™, the only sport in which the cars candrive upside down and where the b rakediscs are as hot a s molten lava. Yes, it’sa bit more complex than football…

Formula One™ carshave around 800bhpbut only weigh 640kgsincluding the driver.That means they havesimilar power to aBugatti Veyron in a carthat has around half theweight of a new Mini.

A driver’s steeringwheel isn’t like the onein your average roadcar: it costs around£20,000 alone and hasa multitude of buttonsto control absolutelyeverything. This seasonthe drivers have a newbutton which, whenpressed, will help themto overtake the carin front – as long asthey’re no more thana second behind it.

While aeroplanes usetheir wings to lift theminto the air, F1™ carsuse theirs to createdownforce – the forcethat pushes them ontothe track and helpsthem corner faster and

have more grip. It’ssaid that at upwardsof 150mph, a FormulaOne™ car will create somuch downforce that itcould be driven upsidedown on the ceiling ofa tunnel.

Before the MonacoGrand Prix, manholecovers are weldeddown. That’s becausethe downforce createdby an F1™ car hasenough suction torip them o !

F1™ helmets are amongthe toughest things inthe world. Some of thetests they have to pass

to be deemed legalto race in are beingsubjected to an 800degrees C lame for 45seconds (without theheat inside the helmetexceeding 70 degreesC) and a visor that hasprojectiles ired at it ataround 300mph. If anyof these make dentsdeeper than 2.5mm,the helmet also fails.

The front suspensionof a Formula One™car is so strong thatit can withstand twotonnes of pressure.That means that thosecarbon ibre rods that

connect the wheels tothe main body couldhave an adult bull ontop of them withoutbreaking.

When a driver has hisfoot to the loor andthe engine is revving at

18,000rpm, the pistonswill be travelling downthe bore and back inthree thousandths ofa second.

When a car is driving inthe wet, the tyres getrid of 250 litres of waterper second – enough to

ill a large bath.

The chassis – thecar’s main structure– is incredibly strong,being made from overa thousand di erentparts of Kevlar, carbon

ibre, metal and varioushoneycomb structures.

The safety of modernF1™ cars means driverscan withstand hugecrash impacts. Thebiggest crash impacton record was su eredby David Purley at theBritish Grand Prix in1977, where he hadan impact that wasestimated as 197.8g– meaning his carwent from 108mphto a standstill in twoseconds. He recoveredand went on to raceagain.

Formula One™ driversare subjected to forcesof up to 5G whenracing – meaning thatin a very high-speedcorner, their body will

experience pressureive times greater than

their body weight.

Monza in Italy isrenowned as thehardest track onbrakes. When driversbrake for the irstcorner they go from200mph down to60mph in just overtwo seconds.

Under extremebraking, some drivershave said that this forceis so great that theirtear ducts squirt waterinto their visors.

Formula One™ brakediscs are made from aspecial, indestructibleform of carbon ibre.A set costs severalthousand poundsand takes a month tomake, but the mostimpressive thing aboutthem is that whena driver stamps onthe brakes the discsheat up to around

1,200 degrees C –typically the averagetemperature ofmolten lava.

Even after a race hasbeen completed, a car’styres will be about 120degrees C – hot enoughto cook an egg on.

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 14: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 14/24

TEST SESSION

In which year did the icon ic gree n and yellow

che m e h i t the Lo tus Form ula One ™ cars?

Ma b e l: Oh no! I have no ide a… wh a t abou t 196 5?

a n : I’ll gue ss a t 196 5.

Co r re c t a n sw e r: 19 58 .

. Wha t is Mike Gascoyne ’s n icknam e?

Ma b e l: The bulldog? No? Ah th e Ro t tw eiler!

a n : Ha! Don’t know…e rr. Pass.

Co rre c t a n s w e r: Th e Ro t tw e ile r

3. How m any co m pon en ts m ake up a m ode rn

Form ula One ™ car, to the ne are s t 1,00 0 ?

Ma b e l: Tha t’s an im possible que s tion! I t could

de pen d on loads o f th ings. I’ll say 6,00 0 .Ia n : No idea. 268 ,00 0 ?

Co rre c t a n sw e r : Po in t to Ma b e l.

We w e re lo o kin g fo r 4 ,0 0 0 m a in co m p o n e n ts

4 . Wha t does ACBC s tand for in the Te am Lo tu s logo?

Ma b e l: An thony Colin Bruce Chapm an.

Ia n : An th ony Colin Bruce Chap m an.

Co rr e c t An sw e r : An th o n y Co lin Bru ce Ch a p m a n .

5. Which one is Max and which one is Sam ?

Ma b e l: Sam is th e on e with th e b lac k pa tch ove r h is ey e.

Ia n : The ir haircu ts ?

Co rre c t a n sw e r : Sa m h a s a b la ck p a tc h o ve r h is e ye .

HOSPIT ALIT Y ANDE V ENTSMANAGER

MABELDAUTZENBERG6. What’s the re v lim it in the curre n t en g ine regu lation s?Ma bel: 18,00 0 .Ian : 18,0 00.Co rrec t an swer : 18,0 0 0.

7. How lon g is FP3?Mab el: Go od q uest ion. I’m no t sure but Ithink it is one h our?Ian: One h our .Co rr ect a nsw er: O ne h our.

8. Whic h of t he fo llowi ng th re e h as Mike n ot wo rked for?Sau be r, Ren ault, William s...Mabe l: Williams .Ian: Saube r.Corr e ct A n swe r: William s

9. What y e ar d id He ikki w in Race o f Ch am pions?Ma b el: 20 10? Oh w ait h e kn ocked him self un co nsc ious last y ear. Noo!Ian : I’ll say 20 06?Correc t ans wer : 200 4

10 . How m an y s e ts o f dry tyres d oes the te am use o ver a wee kend ?Mab e l: 11.Ian: Pass …errr p er ca r? O r Te am? If it’s te am th en 22?Cor rect a nsw e r: 22 (11sets p er d r iver )

SYSTEMSENGIN EER

IANBENNETT

WE’VE SAID VERY CLEARLY WE WANT TOSTART CHALLENGING THE ESTABLISHED TEAMS.

THAT’S VERYACHIEVABLEAND WITH THE WORK WE’VE DONE WE’LL DO THAT.

THE 2011 CHALLENGERIS ALMOST A TOTALLYNEW CAR.IT’S A MASSIVE STEPFORWARD IN EVERY AREA.

OUR CAR NOW LOOKS LIKEA FRONT-RUNNING CAR.

”MIKE GASCOYNE

y spend every waking hour working for the team,how much do our personnel really know aboutm Lotus ? Time for a head-to-head pop quiz…

WINNER

V

M LOTUS NOTES

AML OTUS.CO.UK WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 15: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 15/24

WORKHARD,PLAYHARD.the longest F1™ season ever,

ttle wonder that the racem personnel will look for

e R&R along the way. Butwhat are the places, peopleparties they look forward tomost? In honour of the 2011on we present the 11 best...

Tokyo is one of my favourite places. I really, really like Japan, theculture, the food, the people. I’m not a big fan of cities but I justlove to go to Tokyo.

Then there are also good golf courses I like to visit, I l iketo play golf when I get a day o . KL has some fantastic golfcourses. Riad’s father is my playing partner there. He takes mearound the best courses whenever we’re there. The KLGC – theKL Golf and Country Club is great. Riad himself lives on a golfresort, a place call ed Tropicana, and that’s a great course. Tonycomes to play sometimes and that’s one game where I cande initely kick his ass. If he talks about winning at squash thenall I have to do is mention golf and that makes us even.

TEE-TIME AND TOKYOHEIKKI KOVALAINEN – DRIVER

THE ATMOSPHERE IN SAO PAULOJUAN RAMIREZ – RACE ENGINEER,HEIKKI KOVALAINENIn terms of racing, it’s got to be tracks like Spa and Suzuka,where the track layouts are impressive and challenging andtechnical, and it’s always nice to see how a car performsaround those. Monaco and Singapore come next becausethey get something extra from the driver and Heikki likesthose too.

Outside racing, I love going to Montreal. Even beforegoing there for Formula One™ races, I went on holiday acouple of times and it’s just great. I really enjoy it and I’mdelighted it’s still on the calendar. Apart from that, maybeSao Paulo – partly because it’s close to the end of theseason and you know it’s soon going to be over, but alsobecause, being Mexican, it’s always good to go back to LatinAmerica. It’s a similar feel and attitude to Mexico. It would begreat if we had a race back in Mexico. It’s a shame the plansfor Cancun didn’t materialise. I think I was an F1™ fan beforeI went to the races in Mexico City but the irst time I went tothe Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez was what I think reallymade me want to do this job.

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 16: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 16/24

e because I’m Italian it’s all about restaurants for me.ever we go I’m always picking where the team eats!e it’s really important to see something outside theit’s a privilege of the job. I can’t understand peoplepend all their time in the hotel bar.eal is number one. It’s amazing because the citylives the event. It’s a place where everybody’s stuckduring the winter and we go there in June when it

to be summer and everyone wants to be out andit. The atmosphere is fantastic.y main idea this year… Wait, I haven’t spoken to mybout it! If I could though, after Sao Paulo I really wantto Argentina for two weeks. Buenos Aires and any-else I can get to. Everybody I know who has beenays its fantastic.

OD, MONTREALND MAYBE ESCAPINGARGENTINANLUCA PISANELLO –CE ENGINEER, JARNO TRULLI

LIFE’S A BEACHTONY FERGUSON, RACE TEAM FITTERI’m really looking forward to Australia again. Ireally liked it last year. I just want to see moreof Melbourne, the city’s great. And I really likedSt Kilda. It’s great to walk along the beachthere, get something to eat, have a few drinks.And if we can pick up a couple of points whilewe’re there that would be good too.

KONICHI-WA SUZUKADAVID FRASER, RACE TEAM HYDRAULICSTECHNICIANAustralia and Japan. I’ve got a lot of friends inboth places so I’m looking forward to themcoming along and making themselves known.Both are really good. They’ve both got a goodatmosphere and fantastic fans and it reallyfeels like it’s worth it when you get there. TheJapanese fans are always special. They makeit their business to come and ind out whoeveryone is individually, which gives it a realpersonal touch. People have been contactingme already saying they can’t wait to see thenew new car, the new colours. They’re just soenthusiastic.

HOME IS WHERE

THE HEART ISSIMON MICKLEBURGH, FRONT-ENDMECHANIC, JARNO TRULLII’m really looking forward to Silver-stone, which might sound weird, butit’s Team Lotus’ second home race andthat means lots of friends and familyaround, which is great. I de initely willhave a lot of friends at the race and Imight even meet a few of them in thepub. Also, hopefully, there’ll be loadsof our fans there as well with plenty ofTeam Lotus banners in the crowd.

TEAM LOTUS’YOUNGEST FANJOHN EAGLING, FACILITIES MANAGERFor me it will be watching the races with my lit-tle grandson. He’s really enthusiastic and we’reboth lunatics as well so it’s always fun to watchwith him. I’m really proud of him, he’s great. Hisone ambition is to come here and meet Heikki,so maybe we’ll get that organised for him aswell. In terms of races, they’re all good for me. Idon’t really have any favourites.

DESERT SONGKANE HEMMANT, RACEELECTRICIAN, JARNO TRULLIAbu Dhabi, because of the themepark and Ferrari World which is cool.Hopefully one day we’ll have TeamLotus World there! The weather isabsolutely incredible, so that helpsand the people are so friendly. It’sgreat to be there and be involved.Because it’s been the last race of thepast two seasons, there have beena few parties too, which has beengood. Also it’s very clean!

MORE TWEETINGMIKE GASCOYNE, CHIEF TECHNICAL OFFICERIt was fairly surprising how the Twitter stu took o , and todo Tweets during a race and actually tell people live whatyou’re doing has gone down very well. I think it’s some-thing we should do more of, and it’s good for the sport.That’s something that Tony really pushed us to do to standout, and to be more open to our fans.

Does it all add to the reputation of being a bit anti-es-tablishment? I thought I was 5ft 3 and short! I think I quitelike the reputation, I suppose. We have sponsors and youhave to balance it, but the pitlane gets very self absorbedsometimes and I think we do need to be more open. Ifyou end up coming across as rock ‘n’ roll then so be it. Mydaughter inds it very amusing though!

e this Grand Prix season could come and go andy ‘I don’t know I was too busy waiting for the RugbyCup to get going’. It’s starts on September 15th, the

game is in Auckland, in New Zealand. For me this is aing year for rugby and New Zealand – my home.ike all the other World Cups, New Zealandpected to win it and probably won’t, so I’ll bepointed for six months after but it’s a big year for me.ll the dates are on my laptop. Tony’s got tickets forarter- inals, semis and the inal, and he asked me ifed to go to the semis, so I’m hoping he remembers

nd gives me the nod, but he’s probably got moretant people to invite!

We’ve got a couple of clear weekends but most ofatches are on race weekends. I’ve already been inwith someone in Korea telling them ‘you better ind

where for me to watch it’!

HE RUBGY WORLD CUPAHAM WATSON – TEAM MANAGER

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 17: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 17/24

BLACKAND GOLDENOPPORTUNITY

eam Lotus car running in iconick and gold? It was a fascinating idea.

much so that we asked for your helpisualising how it might look. Here areresults of your hard work…

TEAM LOTU S.CO.UK

M LOTUS NOTES

Page 18: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 18/24

he end of last season we asked you to putr design skills to the test and imagine whateam Lotus car would look like if it raced iniconic gold and black livery of beloved F1™of the 1970s and ’80s. The response was

rwhelming, with entries coming from all overworld. One winner was eventually chosenthe entries were so outstanding that we justto present a few more. So, while the prizethe plaudits go to London-based Braziliangner Raphael Campos , our thanks andse go out to everyone who sent us designs.nly we could build every one!

M LOTUS NOTES

WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 19: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 19/24

GRAND DESIGNSnot just us that have been busy over the winter you guyse also been showing o your creative side...

nese fan Naokoma’s tiny Jarnoi doll and Teams bear providenecessity ofern Japanesethe danglyile phonessory.

If there’s one thing everyrace fan needs it’s aslot-car track and thenext step is cars in thecolours of your favouriteteam. Give it up then forGraham Best from Yeovilin Somerset, who builtthese shiny new TeamLotus cars. We can’tbelieve these aren’t inproduction!

More Japanese creativity in the shapeof T Surotokana, whose support for theteam at the race in Suzuka last yearstretched right to her inger tips!

Heikki certainly has a fan in Benjamin Vinel, whothinks he’s the best driver there is... The Frenchmanhas been supporting him for four years, and lovesthat he now drives for Team Lotus!

A di erent kind of horsepower,@sowi1 designed and made thisTeam Lotus numnah (saddlecloth for non-horsey people) forher competition horse. We thinkthey look super smart and lovethe e ort! Best of luck in yourcompetitions!

NO.1

If you’ve created a masterpiece,done something cool or simplyhave something to say, email usat [email protected] tobe in with the chance of beingfeatured. Best piece wins a capsigned by Jarno and Heikki!

LET US KNOW.

M LOTUS NOTES

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 20: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 20/24

ED IS EVERYTHINGworking as Chief Mechanic forRacing, and in Japan last year Mikeoyne) and Graham Watson the Teamger, came to me and said ‘Phill, we’veother project for you – it’s GP2 ande got four weeks to put it all together the car has to test at Paul Ricard’. I lew

had a meeting on the Wednesday afterpanese Grand Prix and that was it. I hadout the car, a workshop, personnel,

… everything all in four weeks. As itith the F1™ team, this was incrediblybut we made it. I thrive on that kind ofnge though. I love it.

SON’S GREETINGSen the Asia races and the European

n we’ll have 12 races. Testing starts ond of Feb in Abu Dhabi, a two-day testen the same again on 5th and 6th andk after that we do our irst race, at thearina Circuit, on the 11th and 12th. Thento Bahrain and we do a race there onlowing weekend and we’re then backfor a week or so before heading backrain for a race on the F1™ weekend. Weme for two tests in April at Silverstone

arcelona and start racing with F1 againr irst European race in Turkey. Then we

w F1™ around Europe until our last roundis in Monza. It’s busy, but not as crazyyear’s F1™ calendar.

LCOME TO FINISHING SCHOOLs for the drivers, they are there to learn,xperience of what the major series arend move up to F1™. They race at theity of circuits F1™ goes to, they drive ar type of car, on similar tyres, and they

e chance to progress to F1™ if they cant there and get themselves noticed.why the series is so rough and tumblecompetitive. In GP2 there’s nowhereriver to hide. His talent will show in ther not.

RE’S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCEnk we’ve put together an excellent

of people, some of the best out thereey certainly know how to do the job.yself, I’ve been in Formula One™ since

1979, starting at Shadow with Elio DeAngelis and Jan Lammers. Then I went toToleman where I was Ayton Senna’s mechanicwhen he irst started in 1984. I was ChiefMechanic at Jordan and then at Super Aguri.I helped start that up. I did the same thinghere 12 months ago, so I’m used to startingfrom scratch!

THERE’S PLENTY TO PLAY WITHFrom a technical point of view it’s down tothe Engineers. We think we have some ofthe best out there, so we’re con ident we cando something. You have a variety of springsand roll bars to change, some car settings,gear ratios, a few aerodynamic things. It’s alldown to the Engineer and the Driver to getthe best out of it as everyone has the sameequipment. It’s incredibly competitive.

WE ARE FAMILYWe’re already beginning to become a close-knit little family. There are only 13 of us, so it’sstill small. It’s all based here beside the F1™factory. I’m in an o ice here with the F1™ RaceTeam Manager and the Team Secretary justbecause it keeps a degree of consistencyand communication. But the workshop is

just around the corner. It’s hand in glovewith Team Lotus and hopefully there will beaspects of both series we can help eachother with. It’s de initely a two-way street.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORYTony (Fernandes) and Mike want the best.There is no excuse for us not to do well. Wehave put together a collection of some ofthe best people out there. They know how toscrew a car together so there is no reason wecan’t go out there and race at the front. Wehave to, that’s the target we have. I want to goout and win. We all want to win. We wouldn’thave set this up if we didn’t have a chance.There’s no point in starting this to runaround in mid ield.

SUPPORT NETWORKight be little brother to the Team Lotus F1™ teamthe all-new Team Air Asia GP2 squad has big plansormula One’s™ most prominent feeder series as team

nager Phill Spencer explains. “

I THINK THAT WITH THE PROGRESS WE’VE MADEWE’LL CERTAINLY BE ABLE TO COMPETE IN THEMAIN PACK AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN TAKE SOMEGOOD POINTS AND SPRING SOME BIG SURPRISES.

IT LOOKS GOOD ,REALLY GOOD,AT THE MOMENT.THE OBJECTIVE IS DEFINITELYTO BE UP THERE IN THE MIDFIELD.

RIAD ASMATAML OTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

M LOTUS NOTES

Page 21: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 21/24

TEAM LOTUSZOOM

TEAM LOTUS ZOOMPOWERED BY DELL

Clive Mason won the inal round of the2010 version of Lotus Racing Zoom with

this shot of the Lotus Cosworth T127 atSpa-Francorchmps. We’re going to do

it all again in 2011 thanks to Dell, sostart snapping the the new car now!

All entries to [email protected]

TEAM LOTUS NOTES

Page 22: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 22/24

JODY EGGINTON

E BLOODher was involved in motorsport as aand Mechanic so right from an early

pent endless weekends at race eventsg out, as a result there was always aobability motorsport engineeringbecome my profession.

EA LEAP OF FAITHngle most decisive moment for mehen I decided after only one or twoof my graduate training scheme withstream engineering irm to apply forport positions, as my job at the timechallenging. The result, amazingly, waser from Tyrrell. Mike Gascoyne actu-

erviewed me for the job but doesn’tber it, so I am not going to thank himch, although he deserves some

– maybe!?

DEVELOPING OBSESSIONMy irst motorsport job was in F1™ but havingworked also in other formulae I would say thething that makes F1™ di erent is the incrediblerate of development, which, as an engineer, isa compelling challenge.

NO REGRETSI have to be honest and say that I have notregretted any career moves and in terms ofobstacles it is just a case of sometimes the

job being more di icult than ideal! Even thenit’s simply a case of putting in long hours andasking lots of questions!

IT AIN’T THAT SIMPLEIf you want to work in Formula One™, I thinkit’s really a case of setting your goals andpushing hard to achieve them. But it’s alsoimportant to realise that things are not alwaysas straightforward as you may like.

THERE ARE ALWAYS WORSE JOBS…I spent as while as a bin man during a sum-mer break while at university, the smell wasterrible and some of the things you see in binbags is just beyond description. However I dobelieve that this type of experience does giveyou a certain grounding.

NEVER STOP LEARNINGTeam Lotus is a new team and growing fast,so it’s good to be part of that, and to play asmall part in shaping it. I am still on a learningcurve which for me keeps the job both chal-lenging and interesting. Right now I am morethan happy to be part of Team Lotus andgrow with the team.

AP TIMES

CVBorn: Coventry,January 28th, 1974

Job Title: ChiefEngineer.

Quali ication: BSc IndustrialDesign fromLoughboroughUniversity.

Best momentin Motorsport:Getting poleposition atSpa in 2009with GiancarloFisichella when Iwas at Force India.

Chief Engineer had a ilthy irst job but lucked inugh an audience with a young Mike Gascoyne.

WE KNOW WE HAVE THE PACKAGE TO COMPETE AND OUR AIM IS TO

RACE FOR POINTS AT

EVERY GRAND PRIX.BUT WHILE NO-ONE EXACTLY KNOWS WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO BE,I ALWAYS DREAM AND HOPE THAT WE CAN DO BETTER THAN WEEXPECT. IT HAS HAPPENED MANY TIMES IN THE PAST – SO MAYBEWE CAN EXCEED OUR EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS YEAR.

I FEEL VERYCONFIDENT.JARNO TRULLI

WWW.TEAMLOTUS.CO.UK

TEAM LOTUS NOTESM LOTUS NOTES

AML OTUS.CO.UK

Page 23: Team Lotus Launch, T128

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/team-lotus-launch-t128 23/24

TEAM LOTUSFACTORY TOUIn a 1.5 hour visit, we will give you a guided tour of each of the key areas of the factory, including theDesign Ofce, Composite and Machine Shops, RaceBays and the Race Team workshops – everythingneeded to build and run a modern F1™ team. You willalso have the opportunity to see the race car up closeand meet the people who make it all happen.

You and your guests will be shown around byone of our dedicated tour guides, who will ensurethat each visitor leaves with a clear understandingof all the processes that go into making a modern

Formula One™ car and every guest will leave witha unique gift bag as a lasting reminder of their day atour home.

The factory tours take place on selected datesonly and are subject to availability. The factory islocated in Hingham, Norfolk, approximately 15 milesfrom Norwich.

To book your tour or for more informationplease contact us at [email protected]

We look forward to seeing you soon!

u e n jo yed t h i s 2 0 1 1 la u nc h

o f Tea m Lo t u s No te s t he n head

o o u r we b s i te w he re yo u ca n s ig n

ll 2 2 ed i t io n s. P u b l i s hed a t e ve r y

P r i x, T L N g i ve s yo u a n e xc l u s i ve ,

he - sce ne s loo k a t e ve r y a s pec t o f

Lo t u s, f ro m t he fac to r y to p i t la ne

t he wa y to t he c heq ue red lag. Be

w i t h a l l t he la te s t Tea m Lo t u s ne w s,

sc r i be to Tea m Lo t u s No te s no w