teaching in an x,y,z world
Post on 04-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
Teaching in an X,Y,Z World
Which Generation are You?
How to Bridge the Generation Gap
• Reduce or remove any trace of threat from the learning situation
• Make content meaningful for students
• Promote physical stimulation to keep brains alert
• Use social interaction to assist understanding and recall
Teach students, not Content
Crest of the Wave
• Students need lessons full of dramatic action, sudden changes, and shifting points of view to hold their attention and keep them learning.
How long can you pay attention?
• Evironmental Factors
• Teacher’s Presentation Skills
• Learners’ Physiology
• Learners’ Internal Motivation
• On average, adults can focus up to 15 minutes.
• Teens… eight to 10 minutes
• 12 and under even less
What do we remember?
• Material at the start of class the first 10-15 minutes
• Very little in the middle
• Some points from the last moments of the lesson or class
• Brain Breaks every 15 minutes
• Teach directly to the Point.
• Vary tone and inflection
• Stand and stretch
• Tell a story
• Play a 30 second game
• Two minutes to edit notes or write reflection