Post on 09-Apr-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/7/2019 T7 B13 DOJ Doc Req 35-13 Packet 8 Fdr- Entire Contents

1/60

DOCUMENTS RELATINGto

ANY REPORT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TOFD-302S, ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS, A N DINSERTS, RELATING TO ANY COMMUNICATION BYA N Y PASSENGER O N B O AR D A NY O F THE FOURFLIGHTS HIJACKED ON 9/11/2001 FOLLOWING THEHIJACKING OF SUCH FLIGHT (INCLUDING VOICEMAIL MESSAGES A N D CALLS TO THE SOMERSETCOUNTY, PA EMERGENCY(911 OPERATOR SERVICE).

RESPONSIVETOREQUESTS #35-13

[PACKET #8]

COMMISSION COPY

2/60

9/11 COMMISSION TASK FORCEDOCUMENT DELETION CODES[As of August 11, 2003]

"A" - SOURCE/INFORMANT INFORM ATION - Information, the disclosure of whichwould tend to reveal the identity of an informant or source where confidentiality isexpressed or implied.

"B" - FBI TECHNIQUES AND/OR METHODS - Information on sensitive FB Itechniques and/or methods which would impede or impair the effectiveness of thattechnique and/or method."C" - NON -RELEVA NT FBI CASE INFORM ATION - Information neither relevant norresponsive to the Com mission's requests."D" - FBI PENDING CASE INFORMATION - Information which would impede orjeopardize a pending investigation of the FBI."E" - STATU TORY - Information legally prohibited from release by statute."F" - PRIVACY/SECURITY - Information, the disclosure of which would be anunwarranted invasion of the personal p rivacy or jeopardize the safety of lawenforcement personnel and/or their family members

Material redacted under this code includes (1) social security numbers;(2) date and place of birth; (3) home address and telephone numbers;(4) personnel cell phone and pager numbers

"G" - FOR EIGN GOVERN ME NT INFORMAT ION - The identity of a foreigngovernment and/or foreign service to include the names of foreign law enforcementemployees/officials.

3/60

THE NATIONA L COM MISSION ON TERRO RIST ATTACKS UPO N TCOMMISSION DOCUMENT REQUESTD O CU M EN T REQUEST: D O CU M EN T REQUEST #35-13SUBJECT: A N Y R E P O R T . I N C L U D I N G B U T N O T L IM I T E D T O F D - S O I S . E L E C T R O N I C C O M M U N I C A T IO N SC O M MU N IC A TIO N BY AN Y P A SS EN GER O N BO A R D A N Y O F THE FOUR FLIGHTS HIJACKE D O N 9/11/2001SUCH FLIGHT f INCLUDING VOICE MAIL MESSAGES AN D CALLS T O T H E S O M E R S E T COU NTY. PA E M E R G

{DOCUMENTS SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED by COMMISSION STAFFERPACKET #8

(JUNE 16,2004}D A T E

09/11/0109/11/0109/11/0109/11/0109/11/0109/11/0109/11/0109/11/0109/12/0109/12/0109/12/0109/12/01

TYPEof

DOCUMENTINSERTINSE R TFD 30 2FD302FD302FD302FD302

INSERTD I RE C T O R E CDIR E CT OR E C

CGECN F E C

SUBJECT

9/11 Personal Privacy9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

LE E HANSONJAMES R. CAND EE

9/11 Personal PrivacyLOUISE SWEENEY

JULIE SWEENEY9/11 LawEnforcement Privacy

MULTI-STATE BOMBINGMULT I -ST A T E BOMBING

TWIN TOWER BOMBINGSTWIN TOWERS BOMBING MULTI-STATE BOMBING

4/60

D A T E

09/12/0109/12/0109/12/0109/12/0109/12/0109/12/0109/13/0109/13/0109/13/0109/14/0109/15/0109/15/0109/16/0109/18/01TOTALPAGES

T Y P EofD O C U M E N T

T P E CF D 3 0 2F D 3 0 2F D 3 0 2F D 3 0 2FD302

DIRECTOR ECS C E CTPEC

W F O E CB S E CC G E CC G E CFD302

) ~ ^* . . * " " "

SUBJECT

W O R L D T R A D E C E N T E RT O D D B A I L E Y

9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy9/11 Law Enforcement PrivacyELIZABETH G A I L H A Y D E N

HA1DY KERSHAWMULTI-STATE BOMBING

TWIN TOWERS BOMBING; MA JOR CASE 182PENTBOMB; TWIN TOWERS BOMBING; MULTISTAT BOM BING

TWIN TOWER BOMBING PENTBOMBTWIN TOWERS

TWINBOMBTWINBOMB

MARY TRAIN' ~ * *J * L '*** * * * * *" *'

1lJ*'>'. ,11. v , t,'- i. * ' '" f ^" *"" " ',, t ,''**" f>*'""' "* -' , ., ,,.,,-.-r i. ''" "

5/60

9 / 1 1 FirstRespender/FamilyPrivacy PersonalPrivacy/ J 9 / 1 1 Law/jEnforcement

' / ; Privacy

245A-NY-280350-INRWP:krp

Reference Rapid Start Control Dumber SL104Q.;The/following investigation was :::p,o,nducted 6n:September 11, 2001,. at St. Louis, Missouri,! \ /

/Investigativ..e Analyst I(IA) L J FederalBureau df Investigation (FBI), i S | t . ; 'Louis', Missouri, received atelephone, call f.fora aft iadividUajl identifying%i'tnsf>l f l aI \ , phone number .- L / ' i i (home) an d \(work) . I I stated he had jujst been called by hi$ motherin Easton, ^onnectic/ut who stated sh& had just been. Called bya local friend, Eunice Hanson. I Hanson stated she. h a i l justbeen called by her/son, /Peter f|a^s.6n^ who was on his/'cellphone and on an aipline / flight J i He Was accompanied/by, hiswife, Sue Hanson. / / Peter Hanson aid he was on a' hijackedaircraft. | \ d h/ is mothdr'lassuicied this to be[\pne\pf theairplanes involved in the September 11, 2001, Tradei Towers,New York, New Yor/k incident. /I I \ \e following investigation yss conduAgent (SA) I / \ 1: \born r l(d e i t e ^r n x i n ed \ o b e a white male.

J i F B i Univeirsal Indejc andNational Crime Information Center|negative) was tfelephonicallycontacted a t , his employment. /~i ! [stated he was called byhis mother, f f \ Ion his cell phone,between 8:00/and 8:15\,| Central Daylight/September 11, 2001i She related t l h a t the \Hanson.S in Eastonhad talked with hei: that morning. I Their s ^ o n , Pester Hanson,and his wife, Sue /Hanson, had\called the Hiansons that morningfrom an airborne Aircraft, on P j B t e j r Hanson? s cellular phone.Peter Hanson said/that their pi^nel had b e e i i hijacked, thestewarde/ss had b e / e n stabbed andjXkilled, and. they wanted to saygood

\ I I called h i s motfier.'s residence/at t h e\ telephone number] with SA I \ participatingi i n ~ " " ~ ^X^ conference call,answered., stated[visiting C. Lee Hanson and his wi fe . J _

>]stepfather,"his iwife was, at that time,J||said that Peter andSue Hanson w ere on United Airlines Flight #11 traveling from

REQ. #35-13 000000594

6/60

265A-NY-280350-IN

Boston to Los Angeles that morning when they called EuniceHanson.254krp02.ins (8.0)

REQ. #35-13 000000595

7/60

265A-NY-280350-IN

SA | 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy [ FBI BOStOD,telephonically provided the above information.SA | 9/11 LawEnforcement Privacy \I NewHaven, W3Stelephonically provided the above information.

REQ . #35-13 000000596

8/60

/9/11 First / Responder/Family

Privacy265D-NY-280350SKH:skh

On 09/11/2001. SA I / 1 telephonicallv contactedSA I I of the New Haven, Connecticut, office of theFederal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), te lephone numberSA i i.,had fee.lepho.nically interviewed LEE HANSON^ tI K date o f birth i L earlier i n t h ed a y . LE E HANSON i's, the father of PETER HANSON, who was pn UnitedAirline Flight: 175 Boston to Los Angeles, whiijh is one oj f theairplanes th at crashed into ,the World Trade Center.

After being, interviewed by SA I f. LEE HANSON wasinterviewed in person by SA I I . and another Agent 1. SAafter talking , it h LEE .HANSON and .other family memberspresent at the -.HANSON residence, informed. SAI 1 that he (SAI I ) . . . would w.rite th e FD^-,.302 'on 'the ' interview, a n c i that therewas no need tb w.rite "an,, additional FD^,3&2 CQncernitig SA I I I ' s

" " - '' ' " " ''elephonic interview...The notes oplaced into the 1A section of thi:::::;f ieThe notes of SA I I ' s telephonic . interview ae beingthi:::::;f ie . .. / . . \I

9/11 LawEnforcementPrivacy

1/ 0 ^2R E Q . #35-13 lw > 000000597

9/60

9/11 FirstResponder/Family

FD-302 (Rev. 10-6-95) Privacy

- 1 -FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Date of transcription 09/1172001LEE HANSON. I j,

telephone | / was interviewed at his residence andvoluntarily provided the following information:HANSON received a telephone call at his residence from hisson, PETER BURTON HANSON, Date of Birth: 01/24/1969, Place of Birth:Bridgeport, CT. sometime before 9:00 A.M.this morning. His sonindicated that the plane on which he was presently a passenger wasbeing hijacked. LEE HANSON asked whether his son was joking but heknew from the serious tone in his voice that he wasn't. PETER HANSONrepeated that his plane was being hijacked indicating "I think they've

taken over the cockpit...an attendant has been stabbed...and someoneelse up front may have been killed. The plane is making strange moves.Call United Airlines,..Tell them it's Flight 175, Boston toLA."LEE HANSON noted that his son was talking in a low tone, butnot whispering. He believed his son was calling from his cellulartelephone, which number he provided as (617)921-1006.LEE HANSON immediately phoned the Easton Police Departmentand spoke with Captain James Candee. He told Captain Candee about thesubstance of the call and asked for any assistance Candee couldprovide.Within a matter of minutes, LEE HANSON received a secondtelephone call from his son. He recalled his son saying the following:"It's getting bad, Dad...A stewardess was stabbed...they seem to haveknives and mace...They said they have a bomb...It's getting very bad onthe plane...passengers are throwing up and getting sick...the plane ismaking jerky movements...! don't think the pilot is flying theplane...I think we're going down...I think they intend to go to Chicagoor someplace and fly into a building."LEE HANSON said he heard noise of a woman screaming in thebackground.PETER HANSON continued, "Don't worry, Dad...if it happensit'll be very fast."

i n v e s t i g a t i o n on 09/11/2001 at Easton, ConnecticutF i l e * 265D-NY-28035Q Date dictated 09/11/2001

S A I Io_ I 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy Iby OA| 1This daswgm contains neither recommendat ions nor conclusions of the FBI. It is th e property of the FBI and i s 'oane'ytfvW1ft KW'S'oQ

10/60

FD-302a(Rev. 10-6-95)

265D-NY-280350

Continuation of FD-302 of LEE H A N S O N On 09/11/2001 , Page 2_

LEE HANSON said the call ended with his son saying "My God,my God..."LEE HANSON could not sa y why the call ended abruptly. He didnot know whether his son had hung up or whether the phonemalfunctioned. He said he resisted the temptation to call his sonright back because he did not want to place him in any more seriousdanger by ha ving his cell phone ring on the plane.PETER HANSON gave no additional information as to the

identity, nationality, physical description, accents, e tc. of thehighjacker(s).LEE HANSON took two sheets of notes during the two phonecalls and he provide d these notes to interviewing agents.LEE HANSON indicated he could recall no additionalinformation or background noise from the telephone calls other than theaforementioned sound of an unidentified woman screaming.HANSON described his son as follows:Name: PETER BURTON HANSONSex: MaleRace: CaucasianDOB: 01/24/1969POB: Bridgeport, ConnecticutReside nce: 46 Painted Post RoadGroton, MassachusettsHome Telephone:(978)448-8874Height: Five feet, te n inchesWeight: 170-175 Ibs.Hair: Balding red frizzyComplexion: Fair with frecklesMiscellaneous: Re gularly wore a Breitlingwristwatch and antique wedding ringPETER BURTON HANSON is employed as Vice-President ofMarketing with TimeTrade.com of Newton. Massachusetts. He graduatedfrom Northeaste rn University in Boston with a Bachelor of ScienceDegree in Business Administration and attained a Master's Degree inBusiness Administration (MBA) from Boston University.HANSON was traveling to Los Angeles, California, to attend abusiness meeting and was accompanied on United Flight 175 by his wife,SUE KIM HANSON, born 07/23 (believed to be 38 years old), fema le, first

KEQ. #35-13 000000599

11/60

FD-302a (Rev. 10-6-95)

265D-NY-280350

Continuation ofFD-302 of LEE HANSON ,On 09/11/2001 ,Page -3-

generation Korean, 5"3" height, 135 pounds, and their daughter and onlychild, CHRISTINE HANSON, born 02/23/1999.This was their first plane trip as a family and SUE HANSON was takingtheir daughter CHRISTINE to visit SUE's grandmother for the first time.Both of SUE HANSON'S parents are deceased. SUE HANSON is a doctoralcandidate in the medical field at Boston University.LEE HANSON had traveled to Boston on Thursday, 09/06/2001, tovisit with his son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter. They wereexcited about their upcoming flight and indicated they intended toobtain seating in the bulkhead area behind the first-class seating sothey could have more room for CHRISTINE to play. He is not certainwhere they were seated on the flight.SUE KIM HANSON wears corrective eyeglasses and an antiquewedding ring, like her husband PETER, Her and PETER's ring were thewedding band's of LEE HANSON'S parents and had been handed down asgifts. The bands may have inscriptions and may have been cut to sizefrom the original. Furthermore, PETER'S ring may have been repaired.LEE HANSON provided interviewing agents with a color photoportrait of his son's family. A digital color photograph was taken ofthe portrait by SA Donnelly.LEE HANSON indicated that after receiving the calls from hisson, he turned on the television to see whether the hijacking was beingreported. He noted he began watching just in time to see the livefootage of the second airliner crashing into the World Trade Center.LEE HANSON received a telephone call this morning from anindividual identifying himself a s Special A g e n t | ~ ~ l o f t h eChicago FBI Office with telephone number | j SA\indicated he was calling HANSON because he received his name fromUnited Airlines. . . . . .Present during, pbrtions of the interview was LEE HANSON'swife, E UNICE HANSON,, his daughter T

I \r husband| ( DO B :...,."""" "9/11 First9/11 Law Responder/FamilyEnforcement PrivacyPrivacy

REQ . #35-13 000000600

12/60

FD-302 (Rev. 10-6-95)

1 -FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Date of transcription 09/12/2001JAMES R. CANDEE, Captain, Easton Police Department, 700

Morehouse Road, Easton, Connecticut (CT) 06612, telephone (203) 268-4111, was interviewed at the Easton Police Department headquarters andhe voluntarily furnished the following information:

Captain CANDEE confirmed that LEE HANSON telephoned theEaston PD to advise of receipt of a telephone call from his son, PETERHANSON who was aboard the hijacked United Airlines Flight 175 whichdeparted Boston.

According to Captain CANDEE, LEE HANSON called in on theEaston PD 911 line, which is digitally tape recorded, at approximately8:55 a.m.

HANSON had related to CANDEE the same information, with lessdetail, than he had related to interviewing agents.Captain CANDEE indicated he would secure the tape of the

HANSON 911 call and copy it onto a separate cassette tape.Captain CANDEE also spoke telephonically with FBI SA | |

_ ] Q.f the New Haven Office and SA I lof the BridgeportOffice regarding the above information.

/9/11LawEnforcementPrivacy

i n v e s t i g a t i o n on 09/11/2001 a t Easton, Connecticut" 2 6 5 D - N Y - 2 8 0 3 5 0 - N H , D a t e d i c t a t e d 09/12/2001SAby SA

neitner recommendationsnor conclusions of the FBI. It is the property of the FBI and is loaned

13/60

9/11 FirstResponder/FamilyFD-302 (Rev. 10-6-95) Privacy "9/11

' PersonalPrivacyFEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

..' ''', Daw/of transcription 09/12/2001\l Sfannri fcyaccount number! ' j[,..--employed :,:-a.'t United Airlines, Dickinson,North Dakota, \58601, worfc/'telephprie number I I ~l home \ e n i i m t i e r i

being advised ip f the- identity o the/inte'r.yiewingx.Agent and the r i . a t u r eof the interview,,..-"she provided the .following inforniation: \l approximreceived a telephone call from!-' I (phohetic), who called toask for., "a telephone nu.iber to/call and repor^i a hijacking. I I toldhe had ya family' member; PETER HANSON, ,.6n a flight from Boston toLos Angeles. I \d not say the number of the flight. PETER HANSONhad called his father, LEE HANSON, and t o l < 3 him the plane, was beinghijacked. PETER 'HANSON .told his father a /stewardess had been shot, andthat the plane w a i ? goi.rig to crash. I I did not know the location ofthe plane or if it ; was one of the planes over New York City. I Itold I [ PETER HANSON was on the plane with his wife and twochildren. . . V

gave the interviewing Agent the phone number of LEE andEUNICE (mother) as | j .

i n v e s t i g a t i o n o n 09/11/2001 Chicago, Illinois (telephonically)F i l e * 265D-NY-280350 Date dictated 09/12/2001bv SA 9/H Law Enforcement Privacy

ins neither recommendations nor conclusions of the FBI. It is the property of the FB I and is

14/60

9/11 FirstResponder/FamilyPrivacy

\1LOUISE SWEENEYj _ I Massachusetts(MA), telephone number I _ / was interviewed at\herresidence. Also present and participating in the interview was herhusband, JOHN SWEENEY. SWEENEY was advised of the purpose, f theinterview and the identities of the interviewing agents. Thereafter,SWEENEY provided the following information:On September 11, 2001, the morning of the terrorist ,attacks on the World Trade Center (WTC) , SWEENEY'S son, BRIAN DAVIDSWEENEY, date ofbirth 8/10/63, home address|Barnstable, MA, called her from a phone aboard his plane, possiblyfrom his cell phone, cell telephone number (508) 726-7377, to tellher that his plane had been hijacked. BRIAN SWEENEY may have been onUnited Airlines Flight 175. At the time of her son's call, SWEENEYnoticed that the clock on her kitchen stove read 8:58 a.m. Herconversation with her son was mostly personal. However, with regardto the hijackers, BRIAN SWEENEY told his mother that, "I don't knowwho they are." SWEENEY also told his mother that the plane'spassengers were thinking of storming the cockpit and he believed thatthe plane was flying somewhere over Ohio. SWEENEY ended hisconversation by telling her, "they are coming back." He said goodbye

and the call ended. Immediately after their call ended, LOUISESWEENEY turned on her television and saw the second plane hit the WTCin New York City, New York.BRIAN SWEENEY was a former F-14 pilot for the UnitedStates military. SWEENEY worked for BRANDESS CORPORATION, a Defensecontractor located in California. JOE GOOSHATA (phonetic), worktelephone numbers | \d | \s hissupervisor.JOHN SWEENEY provided the interviewers with a photographof his sons. BRIAN SWEENEY is the individual on the le%ft-hand side

of the photograph. .9/11

9/11/01 Spencer, MA Privacy1265A-NY-280350 ,SA 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

REQ . #35-13 MC/W 000000603 0

15/60

10/2/01JULIE SWEENEY, home address I I

Barnstable, Massachusetts (MA), was interviewed at the residence ofher in-laws, JOHN and LOUISE SWEENEY, I ISeveral other members of the SWEENEY family were present during theinterview, however, they did not participate in the interview.SWEENEY was advised of the identity of the interviewing agents andthe purpose of the interview. Thereafter, SWEENEY provided thefollowing information:

JULIE SWEENEY is the wife of BRIAN DAVID SWEENEY, date ofbirth 8/10/63, a passenger on one of the hijacked flights, possiblyUnited Airlines, Flight 175, which left Logan Airport, Boston, MA enroute to California. On the morning of the terrorist attacks, BRIANSWEENEY traveled to Boston's Logan Airport via Hyannis Airport, CapeAir. From Logan Airport, SWEENEY was traveling to California wherehe worked for BRANDESS CORPORATION (phonetic), a Defense contractorlocated in California. SWEENEY traveled with a black medium-sized,Pullman suitcase, cellular phone and a laptop computer. SWEENEY wasdressed in jeans, denim shirt and a baseball hat. His flightreservations were made through his company.

After learning of the attacks, SWEENEY returned home tofind that her husband had left a message, made from his cell phoneaboard the plane, on their answering machine. The answering machinerecorded that the message was left at approximately 8:58 a.m.SWEENEY's message to his wife was mostly personal in nature and didnot provide any specific information with regard to the hijackers.However, SWEENEY did tell his wife that his plane had been hijackedand that he didn't know if he would be able to call her again.

9/11/01 Boston, MA265A-NY-280350SASASA 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

REQ . #35-13 10 * H U i* 000000604

16/60

Law. . . - " ' " / / / 1Enforcement

- _ . . . - - " ' . . - ' ' /;/ / Privacy265A-NY-2.8-03&Q-in ..,>"" ,-"" '// I \1

Reference Lead Qorifcrol Number: S'F130 / / / I. . . The following investigation .was /conducted by SAl |

I from 09/11/01 to .09/19/01, at; Oakland, CA: Scott BUSA wascontacted by SA I Ion 09/11/01, During tl/e conversation BUSAmentioned that hi s sister, Mrs. Sweeney (nfi),/was contacted by herhusband, Brian Sweeney, before his flight cras/hed in Pennsylvania.BUSA advised that at that time, .Mrs. /Sweeney Contacted the \local FBIoffice in Boston, Massachusetts-; to /inform th;em of the developmentsaboard the flight. / / / \n 09/14/01, SA

fo r identifying information of the Special Agent in the Bostpn FBIOffice that had talked to Mrs. Sweeney. Or/ 09/18/01, BUSA le\ft amessage on SA I ~|voicemail advising/ SA I I n theBoston FBI Field Office was working with Mrs. Sweeney.On 09/19/01, SAV" |was contacted in regardsto the Sweeney family. SA\ | advised that she had interviewedthe Sweeney family on 09/11/01.

REQ. #35-13 (H 000000605

17/60

(01/26/1998)

FEDERAL BUREAUOF INVESTIGATION

Precedence: PRIORITY Date: 09/12/2001To: FBI HEADQUARTERSFrom: FBI HEADQUARTERSApproved By:Drafted By: .,/9/H Law

. - ' / EnforcementCase ID #: 265D-HQ-1348101 (PENDING) , / PrivacyTitle: MULTI-STATE BOMBING

Synopsis: IGF #: HQ66Details:

INFORMATION CONTROL FORMControl Number: HQ66Priority: PRIORITY Classification: SENSITIVEMethod of Contact: Telephone/RadioSource: SA||Affiliation: FBI TAMPAPhone Number: | |;/Information Received Date: 09^11/2001 Time: 12:30 PM PrivacyPrepared By:| jComponent/Agency: I&I/FEMAEvent: JAN SIGNOR W/SECURITY OFFICE AT KENNEDY SPACE

CENTER SPOKE WITH MR. HANSON I I SAID HERECEIVED PHONE CALL FROM SON PETER WHO WAS/ON BOARD ONE OFTHE HI-JACKED PLANES AND OVER HEARD

Event Date: Time: 9/11 FirstResponder/FamilyPrivacy

REQ . #35-13 Jer o * L< 000000606

18/60

References:Categories:

. 9/11 L awEvent Reviewed By:[ . EnforcementPrivacyLead Required?: NO

REQ. #35-13 000000607

19/60

(01/26/1998)

FEDERAL BUREAUOF INVESTIGATION

Precedence: ROUTINETo: TAMPAFrom: FBI HEADQUARTERSApproved By:Drafted By:

Date: 09/12/2001

Case ID #: 265D-HQ-1348101 (PENDING)Title: MULTI-STATE BOMBING

//9/11 Law. - ' / EnforcementPrivacy

Synopsis: ICF #: HQ660Details: INFORMATION CONTROL FORMControl Number: HQ660Priority: ROUTINE Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDMethod of Contact: Telephone/RadioSource: SAI IAffiliation: FBI TAMPAPhone Number:Information Received Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 12:30 PM

9/11PersonalPrivacyPrepared By: [Component/Agency: I&I/FEMAE v e n t : J A N S I G N O R W I T H S E C U R I T Y O F F I C E A T K E N N E D Y S P A C ECENTER SPOKE WITH M R . HANSON I I SAID H ERECEIVED PHONE CALL FROM SON PETER WHO WAS/ONBOARD ONE OFTHE HIJACKED PLANES AND OVERHEARD HIJACKERS TALKING ABOUTEIGHT (8) PLANES BEING HIJACKED. WOULD LIKE SIOC TOFOLLOW-UP. ; ! , , - ,

Responder/FamilyPrivacy

REQ. #35-13 000000608

20/60

Event Date: 09/11/2001 Time:References:Categories:Event Reviewed By:|[ 9/11 Law

EnforcementLead Required?: YES Privacy

BEQ. #35-13 000000609

21/60

LEAD (s) :

Set Lead 1:TAMPA

AT TAMPA, FLLead Control Number: HQ660Assigned To "TAMPA" on 09/12/2001 at 4:37 AMTAMPA INSURE CONTACT/INTERVIEW OF JAN SIGNOR WITH KENNEDYSPACE CENTER CONDUCTED AND INFORMATION PROVIDED TO HQ-NYO

REQ. #35-13 000000610

22/60

(Rev. 10-01-1999)

FEDERALBUREAUOF INVESTIGATION

Precedence: PRIORITYTo: DirectorFrom: ChicagoCommand PostContact: |Approved By:

Drafted By:

Date: 09/12/2001Attn: ITOS - SIOC

19/11 Law/^Enforcement : I Privacy

Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350-CG (Pending) / [Title: TWIN TOWER BOMBINGS / !00:NY . / !Synopsis: Summary EC with significant time line activity reported incaptioned matter. / IEnclosure (s) : Copies of Rapid Start Time Line ent.ries! for the period ofSeptember 11, 2001 through 10:50 a.m. on September 12,1 2001.Details: / ISEPTEMBER 1 1 . 2001 / I8:45 AM At approximately 8:45 a.m., SA| T received a phone call

from Robert Combs, employed by GTE Airfone,; 2809 ButterfieldRoad, Oakbrook, II. Combs advised he was relaying informationfrom GTE Airfone employee Lisa Jefferson. ;Jefferson wascurrently talking to a passenger on United ^Airlines (UA) Flight93 which had left Newark, NJ at 8:00 a.m. and was traveling toSan Francisco, CA. Passenger identified hiijiself as Todd Beamerfrom Cranberry, NJ who advised his flight yas just hijacked bythree Arab individuals, two of whom had knives and one had abomb strapped on his person. At this time! Combs advised thecall had been received at GTE Airfones, Oa;kbrook, IL office viea cell relay near Pittsburgh, PA. At approximately 9:15 a.m.Combs advised he was putting Jefferson onjthe phone and that apatch of Beamer's phone call to SA| |was ready. Instead o Jpatching Beamer's call, a party line call ensued in whichCaptain John Noon of The New York State Police was currently orthe phone with whom he believed was the mother-in-law of UAFlight 93 passenger Jeremy Glick. The mother-in-law wasrelaying information her husband was currently obtaining from

BEST COPYREQ . #35-13 000000611

23/60

;9/nTo: Director From: Chicago "personalRe: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001 Privacy

Click. Click according to Noonan described one o^ the threehijackers as having a red box which- was described, as a bomb,and the others had knives. Noonan. was also told by Click'smother-in-law that the passengers had decided to ?ush thehijackers. Jefferson asked Beamer the location and number ofpassengers. Beamer advised there we;re 10 passengers in thefront of the plane, 27 passengers jf t the back and five flightattendants. Beamer also b.elieved l)e plane, had changed courseand advised one or all of the hijackers had entered! thecockpit, locked the dQ6r and pulled the curtain. Captain Noonaradvised some screams/were heard/'/from Click's phone "and thenthings were quiet, /and no noise/ was heard except wh|t appearedto be background ,noise. No further contact with Click or B e a n i e iwas reported; and at 9:36 a .j rt / both Captain Noonan ahdJefferson stated they lost/We phone/ /All area airports contacted and reqties/Ve/d to Report suspiciousactivity to FBI Chicago /Obttunand Post./// ! |

9:30 AM I [taking flight f r Qi t i Atlanta/ to /Chicago J A white femalesitting in 22E lives /in/Atlanta, /Visiting Chicago f o u i i f d a diarjin garbage can in Atlanta Airporti /L;at entr|y in diar^y stated'Allah Will Be Serye.d/. Female /p/ut/diary on !Air Tran Counterin the Atlanta Airport. I f fcoo/k/Eliqht 26, 7:30 p|m.non-stop arrived/Midway 8:30 p.m. ...I/e d set for Atlant4 forfollow-up interviews. i l l ! I \0 AM I \ / / ;; V / = Destination Numbej|.

10:20 AM United Airl-irie^ reported passenger eter Hanson (Flight |?5)called | / / / / / I Bridgeport, CT whil^ theplane was/ jStj.ll on the ground. / Hanson called using a ceiy.phone. .Hanson told I [ he had just seen! a stewardess^ shot.\ d United Airlines/Call Center, |Dickinson, ND^afte]he saw oh /TV what had happened in New York Gitv. The customerService Rep is I "/ ] |I ~i athomeT||and Hanson Families interviewed. \ 4 AMChat Room. She has noticed an increase of threats. Sunda^night - a Muslim screen name typed - in t h e l next 48 hours, V v o uJews will be brought to your knees.|j computer is at j |

I \dPending.10:45 AM SS I 1 advised 2 flights crashed into (WTC) (UAL FL175 Boston to LA) (UA FL 93 Newark to SF) 9/11 Law

EnforcementPrivacy

2 BEST COPYREQ. #35-13 000000612

24/60

-9/11T o : Director From: Chicago " Re: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001 ///7'" '

1 0 : 5 9 AM United Airlines Flights #175and- 193.,man!feasts |obtained by FBIChicago CP - 5 Muslim names on U A . . FL - 9.3 manifest!, 6 Muslimnames on UA FL 175 manifest;.,'' , , / / H i \1AM S S A Iinbound International' Flights' with ,iio place t c j i ! l a n & . S I O Cnotified . . - ' ' ' /'' / / M i ' I

11:10 AM I I (F) advised Chicago Police Department (CPD) thatseveral Arabs were at U-Store-I,, 4995;y Elston, iChica

25/60

To: Director From: ChicagoRe: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001PersonalPrivacy

11:45 AM

11:50 AM

9/11 LawEnforcementPrivacy

number is fpending. ];"" Follow up with ..-cell phpne company

Various Federal, State, and local agencies provide;representation at FBI Chicago Command gost (CP). Theseagencies include US Marshals, US Se.cret Service, A^TF, INS,Customs, US Postal Inspectors, Department of Defence, CIA,State of Illinois Governor's Of f icie,/and Chicago PoliceDepartment. / // \ d Airlines pro

flights attacked/hijacked today. /. iUnited believes Flight UA 175 has crashed in New Yorik City.Earlier Today, United Confirmed.:/ ;UA 93, Boeing 757 Aircraft, Departed From Newark, NJ i 8:01local time bound for San Francisco, With 38 passengers onboard, 2 pilots, 5 flight attendants, aircraft crashed nearJohnstown, PA. / // \ A 175, Boein

time, bound for Los Angeles/ with 56 Passengers Onboard, 2Pilots, 7 Flight Attendants. United confirmed loss of rthisaircraft. United.Dispatching Team to Johnstown, Pa, ASAP, toassist w/investigation/ahd provide assistance to family membersand the authorities and/mobilized resources to assist FBI ETAL. United contact number 1-800-932-8555. Website: \. . .

11:50 AM SSA [ Iprovided UA flight attendant employee sheet,Sandra Bradshaw, wh0 was on UA Flight 93 today. She cabled heihusband from the plane during Flight Under Siege. Husband,Phil Bradshaw, ,.| . / . / I has information to provide abouthijackers. Interview completed. ;11:50 AM [ I was on a/Continental Airlines Flight yesterday (9/ 0),The Flight (#, unknown) left O'Hare at 1:00 p.m. direct f om8D.ewark, i t was in seat 8D. An Arabic male (30-40 yeairsol.dj was sitting next to him. Green saw a wallet with Ca^adiarcurrency in the Arabic male's hand. T he Arabic male was 'carrying a.ri orange backpack. This Arab male was sweating;heavily aji'd was very upset when this flight was delayed a r i d

said ee must make a connecting flight for Dulles. The Arabmale was/approximately 5'9, very heavy and 30-40 years oldlLead set to interview passenger - identified as I I

9 / 1 1 FirstRespender/FamilyPrivacy BEST COPY

REQ . #35-13 000000614

26/60

.....-;/9/11 Law_ . . . . - - " " " /j EnforcementTo: Director From: Chicago . - - " " /'/ PrivacyRe: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001 , . . . - /// \ \ 4 PM OfficerF

I ovuilding. She has with her a, . Witness,\ % \r theroad truck driver who overheard tw o inqividuais with turbans,last night, having a conversation re.ga'rding drfying a truckdowntown a n d then leaving. .1 i is/w/ith Office^: I I awaitincinterview. Conversation took place/believed to i f o e 1-294 & 79thSt. Interview with ,F I completed.' H \ 8 PM |/the Hilton Tow f'sy'Chicagb, IL,/last Tuesday, 9/U/2J7i. This/ Hilton is loc.a'ted off of Michig'an Ave.|\ \ \ d thatwhile in the"''lobby a man who Joaked,.Iranian tapped his boss onthe shoulder., and said/to him/sonie.thing bad is gdiina to happenthen lett'l..--'''The Hotel Desk,,cieric then told both l i U I

. 1 ~l' that they had his hxbte.i reservation info;;0n file. The/ Irania'n also had a'backpack with him at -this tim^U Follow-upPend'4-rig. / . . " ' " ' . - - " ' " ' / I . . - - " " " " H I

V':04/PM J I was'-.:returning' r

27/60

,,';? 9/11.sf/l Personal

To: Director From: Chicago . S / " / / .?.r.lvacvRe: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001 S/ / / i \ e name is I

She is based in Boston. Request that Bo's'ton? interview I \1

several prior calls. Male./Middle Eastern/Accent) a amefrom I lx at,.-16; 04 . CPP requesting FBJ 49 nt attemptto ID subscriber info ..for this number. /^Subscriber |to; thatnumber is I Tin Itasca,/It'. Ph$he reported^ Ibst/stolerand service terminated except f o r - 911 prills. Coiirt| oderapplied for cell site locations/ // ! !\ t a g a i n s t S e a r s TowCPD 911 Center - Callers name^ is I / / 1 (PJiorietic),says he is part of Group ,G>sa Bin Lad n. Caller says| 74V Flight#205 at 7:00 p.m. is the/neixt to go/down. 1 \ 0 PM Gra

told 2 female employees hie had received call from hisj wife'sfamily in Jordan 9/1-0, .telling hijh' of today's events.| Followup interviews of employees pending. 1 \ 0 PM WClub) claiming responsibility f&r attacks. Websitenot pertinent./ / / /

10:15 PM SAI I st>oke /with Flight Attendant IJ for Continental/Airlines, re a\. . . who had b..een 4-h her graduating class from Continental Flight9/11 Law Attendant School. | T.stated that in1999, she an^

nforcement I T w e r a - - 1' w o r k i ng together on flight when he made severalPrivacy anti-Ameriqan statements which made her uncomfortable. I I, was fired /from Continental/sometime after the flight in';1999,and was subsequently hired by UAL as a Flight Attendant.;/believes I I is still a Flight Attendant with UAL.was fired from Continental after an argument he hadwith another Flight Attendant. [""" ' \this address is unknown. / " Ibelieves __fraaybe fromJordan. Interview with/ I pending.11:03 ,PM Caller noted that Vin-American Israeli Shipping Co. moved outof the WTC on 9/1/01. She believes the timing of the movelends suspicion that the company may have had prior knowledge

.of terrorist incidents. Caller is familiar with company frompersonal business dealings. Lead set for NY Office.11:15 PM SA1 I received the following info from Security at O'Hare:a Station Manager at United Airlines in Miami contacted UALHeadquarters in Chicago regarding info received from a UAL

BEST COPYREQ. f35-13 QQOOOQ616

"U

28/60

To: Director From: Chicago ,/9/11 LawRe: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001 ,.'/ Enforcement/'/ Privacy

Customer Service Rep in Miami. The Service R^p,(Name Unknownat this Time) recalled a passenger who/inquired about a OneTicket originating out of Miami to/Boston to Las .Vegas. Thepassenger, Al Sheha, specificallywa,s/interested \n a Flight ora 767 which flew that route. IVis/riot clear a;t this time wherthe ticket was purchased, but it wa.^ a United Airlines ticketpurchased through an American/Air^nes (AA) Outlet., The tickethas an AA locator Number, FM.SBUS,// Sheha also purchased a9/11 United Airlines ticket for A f l i t p f r i i t originating \out of Miami tcPersonal Chicago to ordan for 9-1QA200U// SA|\ from thePrivacy Dallas FBI Office I / /1/ is currently tracking down the

: . \ ... AA Locator Number .with AA Headquarters in Dallasi Additional\ info received from I / \r Numbers are dropped fron/\ . the system after 3 da.ys and automatically flushed\o a,\ - . . subcontractor who puts the info on microfiche. The microfiche

, is then returned to AA 7 Days later for storage.|~ j is..attempting to obtain the info now. The Locator #1A questionedhas been dropped., from...the system but AA is not sure when thatoccurred. / " " - - - . . . . /

11:,25 PM\A I J relayed info that | t a UAL\reservatipnist advised he received a phone call from anUnidentified female who/ said she received a cell phonecall from her. husband .who was on Flight 93. The

. . husband said they were taken over by Terrorists. A\ Flight Attendant-..was .stabbed and they weren't going to\e \j.t. ' ' - . . /

'SSEPTEMBER 12. 2QOt. /12:20 AM , U/A ReceiVed Call, at 12:20 'AM, via Media Crisis Line. An.American Airline, employee, r. "1, identified self as1 I at Tulsa Airport for Americar

. Airlines.\ /said the 767 aircraft involved in crash spent, past - 3 nights /in San Francisco. I Isaid that another A/A.employee observed a suspicious person looking around aircraft.I I thought that Federal Law Enforcement in Oklahoma and SarFrancisco hafve been notified.1:05 AM D/S I ^Jarrested a male of Middle Eastern descent for Drug

DUI earlier this A.M., Subject was wandering around on the roacand had left his rental car parked in the middle of the roadfacing the wrong direction. The car was due back 2 weeks agoand was rented in Louisville, Ky. Subject said he was stayingw/friends but could not give any names. Nothing he said addedup. The subject's name is 1 [Hewill be in DuPage Lock-up for a few hours then may post bail$300.00.

REQ. #35-13 000000617

29/60

/9/11IPersonalTo: Director From: Chicago Pr ivacyR e: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001 .... " \ 0 A M I

Flight. Speaks Arabic and some Ordo. Forrner address I II I " I s , a ' cb'mme'r/biM/pi^o^^nd w a straining in Dallas and then goitig/tb New Yor.k to jdj[| CFI andawaiting a job with Saudi Air-lines.|/ / / j wiilWing to',.become 137. Will call back with' ,a' contact number j4r$;\swhen he gets to N.Y. /' // /'/ / / MUU\0 AM Fax

: i HI \ nn09/11/2001. at 2131 / / /Itnlrt m P / i n a n n u n f e i i t y i \ \ T h a 1 - shew as in the 7-Eleveri at/ li'sted /address at / 0 9 0 0 H r s j a n U U09/11/2001, and .overheard tw o7 ' male $rabs /talking 4MUt i \ t h eincident in N Y / Both .are employees of the store i n j d iw i e r eunaware ofi / r' presetra in the s^ore. One jm^} .^ \ ' s a id tothe other, .in English, "Dph't tell anyone that y o v H ! brother onthat plane. The/worse is /yet to come." / The two m4H \d

I I in the' store and started to t^lk to one aoth'ei: in aforeign tongue.|"['had npt heard of the attja!4ki. t\ttime and fe,.els that the men felt they /were talking' ;t bl6iie.another in confidence^ / / M I U \ 5 Am I was supposedly used by the terrorist's to drive to jtH &os;tbnAirport. I > remembered that or i 9/10/2001, at! $:40-45i50AM, he was crossing the Canadian Boeder into the U ; . S ^ 4 ^Buffalo, NY when he noticed a car that looked like|t r i e l o n e onTV crossing into the U.S. ;at the s^me time I I W a l s \\. The ve

4 who reported a conversation! $he had\h hera ' ~ " / \ " \ called into her neighbor's house/, as he wanted to tell her \ t privacy Midd le Eastern descent, told! / | not to travel I oh 9/9/Oi." - - . . . . He told her not to tell anyone/else or his life woiild be in \ .

12:40 PM SA I ~ \ d the F^eservationist i ~! j Deceiveda phone call from an individual identifying herself; as I I(Ph), telephone I I, inquiring about Alona! Adraham(Ph) on Fit 175. Adraham is 6th passenger on Manifest. Callerwanted to know if Adraham was on the flight. I jmak es theinquiry like she wanted to make sure Adr aham was on the flight.The Reservationist aske d what nationality Adr aham was. Thecaller said Israeli. Reservationist asked what language the

8 BEST COPYEEQ. #35-13 000000618

30/60

To: Director From: ChicagoRe: 265D-NY-280350-CG, 09/12/2001

passenger spoke. The caller said Hebrew and English. TheReservationist asked if the caller was family or friend and thecaller advised "All I want to do is find out if she was on theflight-you can put me down as a friend." The caller could notspell the name of the passenger exactly."

9 BEST COPYREQ . #35-13 000000619

31/60

( R e v . 08-28-2000)

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Precedence: IMMEDIATE Date: 09/12/2001To: Counterterrorism

New YorkSacramentoFrom: NorfolkSquad 6Contact: I A I I

_ . . "'9/11 L a wApproved By:Drafted By:

EnforcementPrivacy

Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350 (Pending)265D-NY-280350-NF (Pending) ,."9/11

Title: TWIN TOWERS-BOMBING , - : - : ^ " PersonalMULTI-STATE BOMBING . - : : : : :' PrivacyAOT ,.

32/60

33/60

(01/26/1998)

Precedence: IMMEDIATETo: TAMPAFrom: TAMPAApproved By:Drafted By:Case ID #: 265D-TP-280350Title: WORLD TRADE CENTER

Date: 09/12/2001Attn: SIOC

Synopsis: ICF #: TP17Details:

INFORMATION CONTROL FORMControl Number:TP17Priority: IMMEDIATE Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDMethod of Contact: Telephone/RadioSource: | |.Affiliation: NASA ' , - - . .

/9/11 LawEnforcementPrivacy

Phone Number: |_ JInformation Received Date: 09/11/2001 Time:Prepared By: |_ I

12:02 PM /5/11/ Personal/ PrivacyComponent/Agency: I&I/FBIEvent: CALLER REPORTED THAT MR.[ J

REQ. #35-13

CALLED THE SPACE CENTER TO REPORT THR FOLOWING: EUNICE ANDLEE HANSON I k.RF.rF.TVF.n A CELL CALL FROM THEIR SONPETER. PETER WAS ON BOARD THE. HIJACKED PLANE FROM BOSTON.PETER HEARD THE HIJACKERS TALKING ABOUT 8 PLANES THAT WEREBEING HIJACKED. """""'9/11 First

Responder/FamilyPrivacy

34/60

Event Date: 09/11/2001 Time:References:Categories:

9 /11 LawEnforcementPrivacyLead Required?: YES

REQ . #35-13 000000623

35/60

LEAD (s):

Set Lead 1:TAMPA

AT TAMPA, FLLead Control Number: TP17Assigned To "SIOC" on 09/11/2001 at 5:12 PM

I _ K M E M O - S I G C A D V I S E ............................... ....i-1 LawEnforcementPrivacy

R E Q . #35-13 000000624

36/60

19/11 FirstI Responder/Family/Privacy

09/12/01Todd Bailey, I / [ was

interviewed at his home. Also present during the interview wereTodd's two aunts, both his mother's sisters, Barbara Pothier andMaureen Pothier. After being advised of the identity of ,theinterviewing agent and the nature of the interview, Todd provided thefollowing information: /

Todd's father Garnet Bailey, also known as Ace, was onboard United flight #175 bound for Los Angelas, CA, that crashed into the World Trade Center and is presumed de^d. Garnet Baiiey madethe trip from Boston to Los Angeles regularly as he is employed asthe Director of Professional Scouting for the Los Angeles Kings ofthe National Hockey League. Carney was driven to Logan Airpott byhis wife, Katherine Bailey, at approximate!^ 6:45am on 9/11/2001.

Garnet Bailey was sitting in the first class section ofthe aircraft along with his colleague Mark /Bavis, also a scout farthe L.A. Kings. ! \y befor

at home on her business line, I L She picked up the lineand only heard static. Immediately thereafter, at 8:58am accordingto her caller identification system, Katherine received a call on herhome phone, I """ |Katherine hurried to answer the call but \ y go

I

. 09/12/01 Lynnfield, MA265D-NY-280350 09/12/01SA I 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy|

REQ. #35-13 ^o^ \\(t\j> 000000625

37/60

i'9/ll Law X//Enforcement ,""" //Responder/Family/ / Privacy

2 6 5D -NY - 2 8 0 3 5 0 / / h \b I I \\n9/12/|01,\t \ fcof-th^ Fe^deial Bureau

of Investigation was assigned a lead, to .contact the>f na} telephonenumbers cabled/ from .tie airphones onboard United Air^line^ flights #93and #175. / Subscriber \information had been 6btained by SA' \ ~F prior _ , -

flight #93: /Subscriber information is\ / / \ t IAmherst, NH. / SA | ; |contacted F/ I a/tnthe above \ d numhpr.I I reported that he had already/ been ^interviewed By Special AgentI I of th^ F.B.I. | fwas ap^t^hensive about di$ctjssingthe information ovfer the telephone and reportedly provided ail 'heknew t o S A I "1 / / / \ e n u m b e r I I

Airlines flight # 175. Contact was made With Todd Bailey at thesubscriber's home (Garnet "Ace" Bailey, | / / \ See Bailey's

Telephone number I I as called from \UnitedAirlines flight #175. Contact was made with Todd Bailey at thesubscriber's home (Garnet "Ace" ailey, j / \ . See Bailey's F

Telephone number I I was called from UnitedAirlines flight # 175. Mrs. Brian Sweeney, I IBarnstable, MA, answered the telephone at the above number and statedthat both she her mother in law, Mrs. Leonard Sween ey, 14 CrownStreet, Spencer, MA, had already been contacted and provided all oftheir information to two female FBI agents on 9/11/2001. The twofemale agents came to Sweeney's home for the interview. No furtherinterview was conducted.

=- *-oREQ. #35-13 000000626

38/60

FD-302 (Rev. 10-6-95) . _. .^ ' / / Privacy

- 1 - . , - ' ' / \LBUREAU OF INVESTI9/11 FirstResponder/Family

Date of transcription 09,/12/2001On September., 12, 2QQ1 .SA I I r a i l AH Southern NewEngland Telephone (SNET) Directory Assistance and spoke with\PattyCanning in New London, CT. SA I Lcaused a reverse search ontelephone number f I to be conducted. Canning confirmed thatthe subscriber was C. Lee anson of| (\ISan Francisco ..had advised that GTE Airfone had reported that the'number

1 I was called twice, from UAL Flight,. 75.An interview of Lee Hanson, of I Iconducted by FBI N ew Haven on 09/11/2001 revealed .that Lee Hanson wastelephoned twice by his son, Peter Hanson, during the highjacked

flight. . .. \ 1 Law

EnforcementPrivacy

i n v e s t i g a t i o n on 09/12/2001 at New Haven, /CT (telephonically)F i l e * 265D-NY-280350, 2 6 5 D - N Y - 2 8 0 3 5 0 - N H D a t e < f l b 9 ^ 4 2 / 2001b y Special A g e n t | |

docimenl qnuuns neither recommendations no r conclusions of the FBI. It is the property of the FBI and is loaned

39/60

9/13/01ELIZABETH GAIL HAYDEN, wife of September 11, 2001 Flight175 UNITED AIRLINES passenger JAMES E. HAYDEN was interviewed at the

HILTON HOTEL, East Boston, Massachusetts. Also assisting with theinterview was Massachusetts State Trooper | 1

HAYDEN advised that her husband JAMES was the ChiefFinancial Officer for NETEGRITY of Waltham, Massachusetts. I He wastaking UNITED AIRLINES Flight 175 to Los Angeles with the Company'sChief Executive Officer BARRY BYCOFF on a business trip. j

HAYDEN advised that BYCOFF was late arriving at j b h eairport and that between that and being delayed getting through thesecurity check point, he missed the flight. She stated thkt BYCOFFtold her that he called her husband on his cell phone (HAYpEN's) 781-696-8999 using his cell phone.-! L She stated that BYCOFFtold her that this call was made prior to Flight 175 taking off.

Airport.HAYDEN..advised that her husband took a limo service to the

. . - She provided the following background informationregarding h e r husband: , I

9/11PersonalPrivacyResidence:

Phone:Clothing Worn:

Navy blue double breastedblazer with blue and whitechecked polo shirt /Tan/green khaki pantsBrown tassel loafers

. _ , . . . . . - - - "9/11 L a w. . . . - " " Enforcement

. . . . - - " " Privacy9/12/01

265D-BS-280350SA

East Boston, Massachusetts9/13/01

REQ . #35-13 000000628

40/60

265D-BS-280350

ELIZABETH GAIL HAYDEN 9/12/01

Jewelry:

Scars or Marks

Dentist:

Luggage:

Black leathered Raymond Weilwatch \ s g o l d l a r g e l e n s e sturtle shell arpund rimsWedding ring engraved

I I

Dog bite upper thighUncertain which legRight shin small cutDR. RON LEVENBAUMLittleton RoadWestford, MassachusettsBlack computer bagBlack nylon carry-on withlogo Robert StevensonAtlantic black valise withyellow felt ribbon

HAYDEN advised that she would like to receive anoccasional written update on the status of the investigation.

REQ. #35-13 000000629

41/60

.9/11 FirstResponder/FamilyPrivacy

09/14/01HAIDY KERSHAW, wife of victim RALPH KERSHAW, date of birth

I ' I Manchester. Massachusetts, telephonenumber I \ , was advised of the identity of the interviewers(Trooper | I. Massachusetts State Police and SA I I

I I Federal Bureau of Investigation) and the purpose1 of theinterview.. Other individuals present at this interview w0re ELAINEKERSHAW, RALPH KERSHAWs'mother, ALAN KERSHAW, brother of I RALPHKERSHAW and KRISTIN KERSHAW, RALPH'S daughter. HAIDY KERSHAW thenprovided the following information: I

HAIDY KERSHAW stated that her husband RALPH was; travelingfrom Boston to Los Angeles w i t f c i a stopover in Tokyo and then on toSingapore. HAIDY KERSHAW said she drove him to the airpolrt anddropped him off at 6:20 am at the curbside. She did not ^accompanyhim to the gate. HAIDYxKERSHAW stated that at 7:10 am RA;LPH KERSHAWcalled her and confirmed'-that he was on a flight to Singaporestopping in Tokyo. The entire flight was on UNITED AIRLINES. RALPHKERSHAW w as traveling alone.', \

RALPH KERSHAW is a Marine Surveyor and he had two bagswith him. One was a hard side plastic c.ase that contained hissurveying tools which included a plastic-hammer, screwdrivers and aknife among other tools and he also ,had a\black nylon sdftsideluggage with rollers and handles similar t6, a flight attendant's bag.In this bag was an nano meter and a flashlig.ht along wit|h hispersonal clothing. Both bags had rollers on\them. R A L I J > H KERSHAWalso had a black nylon carry-on briefcase., RALPH KERSHAW was dressedin khaki pants, white sneakers, red and navy polo shirt!with a bluecollar, belt, and black watch on his left hand. \H JKERSHAW wasseated inseat 22C. \

RALPH KERSHAW has a sunspot on his left,templje and aplastic plate as a result of a snowmobile accident in t ^ h e left sideof his head. RALPH KERSHAW went to the CHESTNUT' GRE'gN I DENTAL CLINICon Route 114 in the mall in Danvers, Massachusetts. \

.....-"'9/11 Law. , . . - " " ' Enforcement

. . . - - " ' " Privacy09/12/01 Boston, MA .. .265A-NY-280350-302 . . . . 09/12/01S A I

REQ. #35-13 3-7/a

42/60

(01/26/1998)

FEDERAL BUREAU OFINVESTIGATION

Precedence: PRIORITY Date: 09/13/2001To: FBI HEADQUARTERSFrom: FBI HEADQUARTERSApproved By:Drafted By:Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350-HQ (PENDING).Title: MULTI-STATE BOMBING .

Synopsis: ICF #: HQ66 ..,/'9/ll Law...--''''.-/ EnforcementDetails: .,"'" //' PrivacyINFORMATION CONTROL FORM

Control Number: HQ66 . . , - " "Priority: PRIORITY Classification: SENSITIVEMethod of Contact: Telephone/Radio //Source: SA [ | , - ' ' ' / ...,-""9/11Affiliation: FBI TAMPA / / . . . , - " " " Personal./ / _ . . . . - " " PrivacyPhone Number: I I / ., Information Received Date: 09/11/2001., Time: 12:30 PMPrepared By: [ [C o m p o n e n t / A g e n c y : I & I / F . E M AEvent: I ^-tt/fiEnnpTTV OFFICE AT KENNEDY SPACECENTER SPOKE WITH MR. HANSON I I. SAID HERECEIVED PHONE CALL FROM SON PETER WHO WAS ON BOARD ONE OF

THE HI-JACKED PLANES AND OVER HEARDEvent Date: Time: 9/11 FirstResponder/FamilyPrivacy

R E Q . #35-13 HO, \ 000000631

43/60

References:Categories:Event Reviewed By: I \/-Lx Law

EnforcementLead Required?: NO Privacy

R E Q . #35-13 000000632

44/60

(Rev. 08-28-2000)

FEDERAL BUREAU OFINVESTIGATION

Precedence: IMMEDIATE Date: 09/13/2001To: CounterterrorismInvestigative Services Attn: SIOC ;9/ll Law

SStn . /EnforcementN e w York .Norfolk / PrivacyFrom: SacramentoSquad 4Contact: SA j _Approved By:Drafted By:Case ID f: 265D-NY-280350-SC (Pending)Title: TWIN TOWERS BOMBING;MAJOR CASE 182 -9/11PersonalSynopsis: To respond to lead set by Norfolk PrivacyReference: 265D-NY-280350-NF Serial 2.0Details; Referenced EC, dated. 09/12/2001..requested Sacramento tocontact / \d sent an 'e-mail .message to I I

I //ho had in turn called the ^opfoik,Division, /The e-mailmessage indicated that Brian Sweeney, a passenger ph/one of thehijacked flights, had contacted hi wie' while ,dn ..board the plane andadvised her that the plane was ..being .hijacked and/was going to thecockpit to see if he could help out./''|/ I told the Norfolk Officethat Brain Sweeney's- widow.---may reside in Boston, MA. NorfolkprovidedI I contact"information tq Sacramento and requestedSacramento to interview I I in order"to locate' Sweeney's widow.

Sacramento contacted I / l a Civil serviceemployee a t t h e j / |, telephone numberI I |_ I advised that Sweeney/was scheduled to attend aconference in San Pedro, California from Q9/11/2001-09/13/2001.While at the conference, I "land othe:/ participants became awareof the hijackings. Attendees at the conference began to attempt tolocate people who they thought may have/been at risk. Commander EdBellini, of the Patuxent Naval Air Station, announced to theattendees that he had spoken with Brian Sweeney's wife. Bellini toldthe attendees that Brian Sweeney's wife had spoken with Brian Sweeneywhile he was on the flight. | [provided contact information for

REQ. #35-13 $ cn 000000633

45/60

To: Counterterrorism From: SacramentoRe: 265D-NY-280350-SC, 09/13/2001

Commander Ed Bellini as work telephone I 1 and cellulartelephone I lalso provided contact information forSweeney's employer identified as 'Frank Brandes, Brandes Associates,work telephonel \ a n d cellularnumber|_ |advised that he had visitedawebsiteand confirmed that Sweeney was on Flight, 175. \Sacramento is providing this information to 'w York andBoston for informational purposes. Los Angeles is reqije'.sted tocontact Sweeney's employer Frank Brandes. Brandes Associates, worktelephonel ' - - . f \ r . e 1 1 \ ] H ^r number

t t obtain contact information for Brian J J - w e e f t e y ' s wife,and forward this information to New York and Boston. :\"'9/11PersonalPrivacy

REQ. #35-13 000000634

46/60

LEAD(s) :Set Lead 1:

COUNTERTERRORISMAT WASHINGTON. DCRead and clear.

Set Lead 2:INVESTIGATIVE SERVICES

AT WASHINGTON. DC

Read and clearSet Lead 3:

BOSTONAT BOSTON. MAFor information Flight 175 passenger Brain Sweeneycontacted his wife while on the flight to report the hijacking. LosAngeles is being requested to contact Sweeney's employer forinformation regarding Sweeney's address and forward the same toBoston. /9/11

Set Lead 4: /Personal/ Privacy

LOS ANGELESAT SANTA BARBARA, CAContact Frank Brandes, of Brandes Associates,/workt e l e p h o n e l L pager number\ and obtain contact information for Brian Sweeney andforward same to Boston for interview of Sweeney's widow re cellulartelephone call.

Set Lead 5:NEW YORK

AT NEW YORK. NY

REQ . #35-13 000000635

47/60

Read and clearSet Lead 6

NORFOLKAT NORFOLK. VARead and clear.

REQ. #35-13 000000636

48/60

( R e v . 08-28-2000)

Precedence: IMMEDIATETo: CounterterrorismBostonNew HavenNew York

Date: 09/13/2001Attn: UBLU/RFU

Approved By:Drafted By:Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350-TPTitle: PENTBOMB;TWIN TOWERS BOMBING;MULTISTAT BOMBING;AOT

[Pending);"''//' / Personal/'/' / Privacy

Synopsis: This identifies Connecticut parents of a vic^i4 on one ofthe hijacked planes who advised..-his par,efits by/cellphon^ tjhat heheard the hijackers say eight planes ..were being hijacked,Details: On09/11/20.01,[ J SGS SeCurijty, KennedySpace Center (KSC)., FL, a frequent contact of the Tampa Divisionwhose company has a contract 'for security at KSC, advised jthe BrevardRA of the Tamp'a Division that the KSC .received a telephone! call fromMrs. I I (not further identified) ,at I \. C l - a r i v i s f t r i that

number I "~l a TrumbuJ/l, Connecticut, exchange, received acellular telephone call from their son, PETER HANSON, who Was apassenger on one of the airliners hijacked from Boston whibh wasflown into the World Trade Center. According to. Mrs. I I PETERHANSON told his parents that he pverheard the hijackers talking abouteight planes being hijacked. ' " - - , . _L J; of the Federal'Emergency Management Agency(FEMA), who was working in SIOC, was advised 09/11/2001 of the report

that eight planes were hijacked.9/11 FirstResponder/FamilyPrivacy

REQ. #35-13 000000637

49/60

To: Counterterrorism From: TampaRe: 265D-NY-280350-TP, 09/13/2001

LEAD(s) :Set Lead 1: (Adm)

COUNTERTERRORISMAT WASHINGTON, DCNone. For information.

Set Lead 2: (Adm)BOSTON

AT BOSTON. MASSACHUSETTSNone. For information.

Set Lead 3:NEW HAVEN

AT TRUMBULL. CONNECTICUTInterview the parents of victim PETER HANSON for furtherinformation, if available, about what he overheard the hijackers say.Report results by FD-302 to SIOC and to Tampa.

Set Lead 4: (Adm)NEW YORK

AT NEW YORK. NEW YORKNone. For information.

CC : 1 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

REQ. #35-13 000000638

50/60

To: Washington Field From: Washington FieldRe: 2 6 5 D - NY - 2 8 0 3 5 0 -W F , 09/14/2001

REQ . #35-13 000000642

51/60

(01/26/1998)

Precedence: IMMEDIATETo: BOSTONFrom: BOSTON

Attn: [

Approved By:Drafted By:Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350-BS (PENDING)Title: TWIN TOWERS

OO:NY

Date: 09/15/2001

79/11 Law/ EnforcementPrivacy

Synopsis: ICF #: BS2Details:

Control Number: BS2INFORMATION CONTROL FORM /9/11 First/ Responder/Family

' Privacy

Priority: IMMEDIATE Classification: /UNCLASSIFIEDMethod of Contact: Telephone/Radio /Source: JOHN & LOUISE SWEENEYAffiliation:Phone Number:Information Received Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 10:15 AMPrepared By: TComponent/Agency: I&I/FBIEvent: CALLER TO FBI BOSTON JOHN SWEENY AND MOTHER LOUISE

SWEENEY SAID HIS BROTHER BRIAN DAVID SWEENEY, 39 YEARS OLD,CALLED HER THIS MORNING AT 858 FROM HIS CELL PHONE,508-726-7377, TO REPORT HIS PLANE HAD BEEN HIJACKED.AMERICAN AIRLINES FL 767 OUT OF BOSTON THIS MORNING. HISCONVERSATION WAS SUBDUED. HE AND OTHER PASSENGERS WERE

REQ. f35-13 000000643

52/60

GOING TO STORM THE COCKPIT. HE HUNG UP.Event Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 10:15 AMReferences:Categories: TIME LINE INFORMATIONEvent Reviewed By:| |Lead Required?: YES r/i1 LaW + .^ EnforcementPrivacy

REQ . #35-13 000000644

53/60

LEAD (s) :

Set Lead 1: /9/11LawEnforcementBOSTON , , " " ' Privacy

AT BOSTON, MALead Control Number: BS2Assigned To 1 Kon 09/11/2001 at 11:09 AMINTERVIEW JOHN AND LOUISE SWEENEY

REQ. #35-13 000000645

54/60

(01/26/1998)

Precedence: PRIORITY Date: 09/15/2001To: CHICAGO Attn:

..-/9/11 Law/'/' Enforcement// Privacy

Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350-CG (PENDING) //Title: TWINBOMB

Synopsis: ICF #: CGI9Details: /INFORMATION CONTROL FORMControl Number:CG19Priority: PRIORITY Classification: UNCLASSIFIEDMethod of Contact: Telephone/RadioSource: S A I I WRA,UNITED AIRLINES OPERATIONSAffiliation: FBI

.49/11/ j P e r s c/ |Privacy

Phone Number: / //PersonalInformation Received Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 10:20 AMPrepared By:| |Component/Agency: I&I/FBIEvent: UNITED AIRLINES REPORTED PASSENGER PETER HANSON(FLIGHT 175) CALLED I I

BRIDGEPORT, CT WHILE THE PLANE WAS STILL ON THE GROUND^HANSON CALLED USING A CELL PHONE. HANSON/TOLD I IHEHAD JUST SEEN A STEWARDESS SHOT. I I CALLED UNITEDAIRLINES CALL CENTER, DICKINSON, ND AFTER HE SAW ON TV WHAT

REQ. #35-13 000000646

55/60

HAD HAPPENED IN NEW YORK CITY. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP IS| 9/11 Personal Privacy |ATHOME.

Event Date: 09/11/2001 Time: 10:20 AMReferences:Categories: TIME LINE INFORMATION WITNESS

- - 9/11Event Reviewed By:| | PersonalPrivacy

Lead Required?: YES

REQ . #35-13 000000647

56/60

LEAD (s):

Set Lead 1:. ' " ' ' ' EnforcementCHICAGO ,, / Privacy

AT CHICAGO, IL .,Lead Control Number; CGI9 .,Assigned To "| |" on 09/11 001 at 11:58 AMSET LEAD NORTH DAKOTA TO INTERVIEW/] |,TO GET INFO ON THECALL RECEIVED. ./ \tLead 2:

CHICAGO / /9/11/ Personal

AT CHICAGO, IL / / PrivacyLead Control Number; CG19-AAssigned To '| p' on 09/11/2001 at ,12:00 PMSET LEAD FOR HARTFORD TO INTERVIEW I [ RE CALL.

REQ. #35-13 000000648

57/60

(01/26/1998)

Precedence: PRIORITYTo: CHICAGOFrom: CHICAGO

Date: 09/16/2001

Approved By:Drafted By:Case ID #: 265D-NY-280350-CG (PENDING)Title: TWINBOMB

79/11 LawEnforcementPrivacy

Synopsis: Lead Control #: CGI9Details:

INFORMATION CONTROL FORM - DISPOSITIONLead Control Number:CG19Disposition: SPOKE TO { _

CALLED AND SAID PETER ..HANSON ON FLIGHT THAT WAS BEINGHIJACKED; HANSON CALLED FATHER, LEE HANSON, WHO CALLED| F-....SAID A STEWARDESS WASSHOT ANDPLANE ASGOING TO CRASH;.. DOESN'T KNOW WHERE PLANE WAS; SPOKE TOLEE HANSON (FATHER).,,. PETER HANSON CALLED..TWICE WHILEON PLANE; ATTENDANT STABBED AND PLANE MIGHT CRASH;SAID HAD KNIVES AND MACE AND MAYBE A BOMB;,NONATIONALITY NClTED; 2 AGENTS ARE ON WAY TO INTERVIEWFAMILY NOW./

""'9/11PersonalPrivacy

Lead Reviewed By:Lead Completed Date: 09/11/2001

REQ. #35-13 CO 000000649

58/60

X'9/ll FirstRespender/FamilyPrivacy

\ 1On September 18, 2001, MARY TRAIN, sister\of JAMES MICHAEL

ROUX who was aboard United .Flight 175,1 1 , Portland,Maine, telephone number \s advised as to theidentity of the interviewing agent and the nature of the interview.TRAIN advised as follows:

JAMES MICHAEL ROUX leaves behind two sons from differentmarriages, as well as his mother, CONNIE SCULLARA, telephone number

I I in Maine. ROUX was described by TRAIN as follows:Race:Sex:Date of Birth:Place of Birth:Social SecurityNumber:Height:Weight:Hair:Eyes:Address:Phone Number:Occupation:Business Address:Phone Number:Cell Phone Number:Miscellaneous:

WhiteMaleJuly 29, 1959New London, Connecticut006-64-42956' 2"180 poundsBrown/gray, balding on topBrownOne Exchange StreetPortland, Maine(207) 842-4086Self-employee attorney377 Fore StreetPortland, Maine(207) 772-3669(area code unknown) 408-2258Graduate of Bowden College

TRAIN advised that ROUX was traveling from Boston,Massachusetts, to Los Angeles, California, and then on to Thailand.ROUX's ethnic background is French and Irish. He traveled with twolarge black oversized duffle bags, soft in nature with wheels. Healso had a black carry-on with a shoulder strap. His dentistinformation would be available from Dr. THOMAS DOLAN, Weathersfield,

9/18/01265A-NY-280350

Boston, MA (telephonically)9/22/01

SA[ 9/11 Law Enforcement Privacy

REQ. #35-13 000000650

59/60

265A-NY-280350

MARY TRAIN 9/18/01 2Connecticut.

TRAIN was not sure exactly what her brother was wearingwhen he boarded United Flight 175,but stated it would be one of twosets of clothing. The first option would be blue denim jeans, belt,dark green LL Bean short sleeve polo shirt with a collar, or khakipants and white oxford shirt. This white oxford shirt would have anAndover, Massachusetts, shop label on it. Hewas wearing a dark blue Braeburn Golf baseball hat with whiteletters. He was wearing penny loafer shoes. ROUX always wore anexpensive Baume&Mercier watch. He also had a space between his twofront teeth.

ROUX had recently closed his business in Portland, Maine,and was going on a few months rest and relaxation (R&R). He wastraveling from Los Angeles to Thailand via Thai Air. This was avacation he had spent many months planning it. He had a round tripticket, but no return date. He was traveling by himself. He took alimousine from his friend's house in Winchester, Massachusetts, toget to Logan Airport on the morning of September 11, 2001.TRAIN knew of no threats made toward her brother. ROUXhad recently spent one week with his sister, MARY TRAIN, before hewas to go on his vacation. His last known phone call was via hiscell phone to a woman in Thailand. This call was made prior togetting on the airplane. TRAIN did not believe her brother had madeany cell calls from United Airlines Flight 175 while it was in theair.ROUX had married and divorced two times. His first wife

9/11 First Responder/Family Privacy

R O U X was traveling with approximately $15,000 in cash.

R E Q . #35-13 000000651

60/60

2 6 5A -NY - 2 8 0 3 5 0

M A R Y TRA IN 9/18/01This money was in a royal blue pencil bag.