t418 write complete sentences in your notebook : i saw a ______________in my neighborhood. it was...

T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your neighborhood?

Upload: edwina-wilkinson

Post on 24-Dec-2015

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

Page 1: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

T418

Write complete sentences in your notebook :

I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________.

What wild creatures have you seen in your neighborhood?

Page 2: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

You are going to hear the poem,You are going to hear the poem,

What might be the purpose for reading or listening to a poem again?

To enjoy; to learn more about the author’s thoughts.

Listen and follow along to enjoy the poem.T419

Read AloudRead Aloud

Page 3: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Hey, Bug! Hey, Bug! by Lilian Mooreby Lilian Moore

Hey, bug, stay!Don’t run away,I know a game that we can play.

I’ll hold my fingers very stilland you can climb a finger-hill.

No, no,Don’t go.

Here’s a wall – a tower, too,a tiny bug town, just for you.I’ve a cookie. You have some.Take this oatmeal cookie crumb.

Hey, bug, stay!Hey, bug!Hey!

Now, repeat after me as we read the poem again.

T419

Page 4: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Hey, Bug! Hey, Bug! Discussion QuestionsDiscussion Questions

Why do you think the writer wants to play with the bug?

What do you think the writer could do to make the bug want to stay?

T419

Page 5: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

V/CV and VC/V Syllable PatternsV/CV and VC/V Syllable Patterns

The baby saw the shadow.

Look at the word “baby,” in the sentence above. This word has a consonant between two vowels.

Remember – When you see this pattern, you can try dividing the word after the first vowel and pronouncing the word with a long vowel sound.

ba/by Does this sound like a familiar word?

T420

Page 6: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

If the word doesn’t sound familiar, you can try dividing it after the second consonant and pronouncing a short vowel sound.

Try dividing shadow, to produce a familiar word.

shad/ow

T420

Page 7: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

final habit color music

fi/nal long hab/it short

T420

Divide the following words into syllables.

Let’s label the first vowels as long or short.

fi/nal hab/it col/or mu/sic

col/or short mu/sic long

Page 8: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

broken given Friday begin cabin river

T420

Draw two columns. Label the first, V/CV Long Vowel, and the second, VC/V Short Vowel as below. Look at the following words and write them under the correct column.

V/CV – Long Vowel VC/V – Short Vowel

broken given

Friday cabin

begin river

Page 9: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

COMPREHENSIONCOMPREHENSION STRATEGIES– STRATEGIES– ReviewReview

Reading Chapter Books.

T422

Page 10: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Reading Chapter Books.Preview. Turn to pages 440-441 in your textbooks.

Scan the pages.These pages tell about the important parts

of chapter books and how you can use these parts as you read.

Set a Purpose for Reading. Your purpose for reading these two pages is

to get information about chapter books.

T422

Page 11: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Reading Chapter Books.Discuss Text Features Let’s read the information on Page 440.

Now let’s look at the explanatory boxes on Page 441.

The title is sometimes a clever way to get a reader interested in a book. It often gives a clue to the plot of the book.

T422

Page 12: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Reading Chapter Books.Discuss Text Features Since chapter books are divided into parts

called chapters, each chapter has a chapter number and/or a title. A title might give a clue to what the chapter is about.

Chapter books have one long plot broken into chapters. The important events in the chapters lead to the big problem being solved, or the goal being reached, by the end of the book. Sometimes a chapter has a smaller plot of its own.

T422

Page 13: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Review the Focus Strategies.

Discuss Story Structure/ Asking Questions.

Let’s read the information on Page 440. You can use what you know about story structure to help you understand a chapter book.

T422

Page 14: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Review the Focus Strategies.Discuss Story Structure/ Asking

Questions. The main characters, setting and

problem are usually introduced in the first chapter. When you read a chapter book, you have to keep the big problem in mind and think about the important events.

Remember to ask yourself questions about what has happened, is happening, and will happen.

T422

Page 15: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Set a Purpose and Read.“Iris and Walter, True Friends,” is a chapter book about a boy, a girl, and a horse.

What do you know about horses?

Let’s set a purpose for readingthis selection.

T422

Page 16: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

COMPREHENSIONCOMPREHENSION STRATEGIES– STRATEGIES– Monitor ComprehensionMonitor Comprehension

COMPREHENSIONCOMPREHENSION STRATEGIES– STRATEGIES– Monitor ComprehensionMonitor Comprehension

P. 442-443.Locate the book title and chapter title. Read the Stop and Think box on P. 443.

Author’s Purpose. What do you think was the author’s

purpose in writing this chapter book?(to entertain readers)

PlotWhat is the problem in this chapter so far?(The horse named Rain won’t let Iris near her.)

T422

Page 17: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

COMPREHENSIONCOMPREHENSION STRATEGIES– STRATEGIES– Apply Comprehension Apply Comprehension

Strategies.Strategies.

COMPREHENSIONCOMPREHENSION STRATEGIES– STRATEGIES– Apply Comprehension Apply Comprehension

Strategies.Strategies.Use Story Structure, Ask Questions.Think Aloud. I read that Iris, Walter, and the horse

Rain are the characters in this story. I know that this is the beginning of the chapter, but I already see a problem with Rain and Iris. I’m asking why Rain is acting unfriendly or shy. Iris is thinking of a solution. I’ll read on to find out what happens.

T424

Page 18: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

P. 444-445.Locate the chapter title and describe the clue it gives about this chapter’s events. Read P. 444. Stop and read the Stop and Think box on P. 445 before continuing reading.

Character’s Traits What do you learn about Iris’s character

on these pages?(She does not give up until she

achieves her dream)

T425

Page 19: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

P. 444-445.PlotHow is the plot’s problem solved in this chapter?(Rain learns to trust Iris over time.)What do you think might happen in the next chapter?(In the next chapter, Walter might get to ride Rain.)

T425

Page 20: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

StrategiesStrategies

StrategiesStrategiesAsk Questions.Think Aloud. As I’m reading, I’m wondering

whether Rain will ever go near Iris. Is Rain just scared? Why is she scared? As the story goes on, I see that Iris’s problem is solved. It looks like there is perhaps another chapter to come, since Walter wants to try riding Rain, too.

T425

Page 21: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

READERS’ THEATERREADERS’ THEATER“Ask the Experts”“Ask the Experts”

T426

Page 22: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Focus on FluencyReading with intonation and expression.

As you are rehearsing your readers’ theater roles, you need to read with expression as if you have an audience in front of you.

Think AloudI practiced reading the role of Smarty Jackson several times. I realized that I want the other experts to take me seriously when I speak. I make my voice go higher and lower to sound natural when I read. This makes it easy for others to understand what I am saying.

T426

Page 23: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Rehearse Roles.At first you will rehearse with others

who have the same roles.Take turns reading the character’s speech. After someone finishes reading, offer positive comments about what you liked about how they read the part.For example, you might say, “I like the way you changed your voice to sound sad.”

T426

Page 24: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Rehearse Roles.Now you will rejoin your groups to

rehearse the entire script. Remember to stand and read the way you will when you present in front of the class. Please practice reading with expression and intonation so it will be interesting and entertaining to the audience.

T426

Page 25: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Building VocabularyBuilding VocabularyBuilding VocabularyBuilding Vocabulary

expertise

If someone commented on your expertise in science, would that probably mean you were a scientist?

In what areas do you feel that you have expertise?

T427

Page 26: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

correspondence

How do you feel when you receive correspondence from someone?

What types of correspondence do you like to receive?

T427

Page 27: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

luscious

If you told your mom that something she fixed for dinner was luscious, does that mean you liked it?

What type of dessert do you think is the most luscious?

T427

Page 28: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

shudder

Does thunder make you shudder?

What other things might make someone shudder?

T427

Page 29: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Grammar – Grammar – Pronoun-Antecedent AgreementPronoun-Antecedent Agreement

Remember, A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun in a sentence.

What are examples of pronouns?

me, he, she, it, we they

The antecedent is the noun referred to by a pronoun. What are the pronoun and antecedent in the following sentence?

Maria gave the puppies a bath. They were very wet.

They, puppies

T428

Page 30: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Pronouns and antecedents must match, or agree.

A singular pronoun replaces a singular antecedent.

A plural pronoun replaces a plural antecedent.

If an antecedent is male, the pronoun must be male.

If an antecedent is female, the pronoun must be female.If the noun is a thing or place, the pronoun must match.

T428

Page 31: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Let’s read the following sentences together.How would you make the pronouns agree with the

nouns?

Amar and Sue went to the park. He played catch together.

(They)

Mr. Green says she will teach math next year. (he) Mother wore a new dress today. They likes it very

much. (She) The players felt good because he won the game. (they)

T428

Page 32: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Now you can write the sentences correctly in your notebook.

Amar and Sue went to the park. He played catch together.

Mr. Green says she will teach math next year.

Mother wore a new dress today. They likes it very much.

The players felt good because he won the

game.

T428

Page 33: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Writing – PublishWriting – PublishWriting – PublishWriting – Publish

Grammar-Writing Connection. Read your writing and make sure you have used

the correct pronouns to refer to the antecedents.

Complete your final writing. Finish writing your final copy. Proofread your

writing one more time to be sure that you have copied everything correctly, and that you have correctly capitalized and punctuated your sentences.

You may illustrate your writing if you wish.

T429

Page 34: T418 Write complete sentences in your notebook : I saw a ______________in my neighborhood. It was _____________. What wild creatures have you seen in your

Writing – PublishWriting – PublishWriting – PublishWriting – Publish

HandwritingNeatness counts. Correct spacing between the letters in a

word and between words will help make your writing easy to read. If you need to make a correction, please do so neatly.

Compile a magazine. You are editors. You may want to put all

of the same type of writing together in a section, or you many want to mix up topics.

T429