t4 b12 wayne- e anthony fdr- entire contents- anthony e wayne 2002-2003- testimony and remarks- 3...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T4 B12 Wayne- E Anthony Fdr- Entire Contents- Anthony E Wayne 2002-2003- Testimony and Remarks- 3 Transcri

1/3

^Financial Aspects of the International Coalition'sWar on Terrorism: Steps Toward Leade... Page 1 of 4

H o m e I Contact U s I Emailifiista I FO iA I iRwacy Nobce I .Arcnwe

About theState Dept.

U.S. DEPARTMENT of STATEPress andPublic Af fa i rs Travel andL iv ingAtaad Countries l n t e n B { i o r a ih s s i K S Histor ', Eclucationand Cutture BusinessCenter

[Print Friendly Version]

Financial Aspects of the International Coalition's War on Terrorism: StepsToward Leadership for the OSCEEarl Anthony Wayne, Assistant Secretary for Economic and Business AffairsR e m a r k s to the Organization for Securityand Cooperation in Europe Economic ForumPrague, Czech RepublicMa y 31, 2002(A s Delivered)Thank you, Mr. Lopes-Aleixo for this opportunity to speak. First, I would like to express my special thanks andgratitude to Secretary General Kubis and to the Office of the Economc Coordinator for their initiative inenvisioning and hosting today's special session, and in advance to the Portuguese Chair for organizing themeeting on June 1 2 . 1 very much regret I was not able to be here in Prague for the opening of this Forum.I know discussions here over the past few days have centered on cooperation and confidence building as ameans of enhancing security. With respect to cooperation on water, we learned that cooperation on technicalissues of mutual interest is often possible when dialogue on other issues is difficult. As Ambassador Minikesnoted at the beginning of the plenary session, the United States places great importance on the Economc andEnvironmental Dimension of the OSCE, and we believe this serves to promote the proper functioning ofeconomies, prudent use of environmental resources and transparency in government. Engagement onenvironmental issues can promote cooperation and build confidence more broadly. Again, I would like tocongratulate the Portuguese Chairmanship and the Office of the Economc Coordinator for their work on w a t e rissues over the past year. Such work is a reflection of the OSCEs comprehensive approach to security, in itseconomc and human aspects as well as its political-mlitary ones.Openness and transparency are also avery important theme in today's special session: the OSCE role incombatting terrorist financing. I hope to express briefly how, aspart of the international coalition's assault onth e financial dimensions of terrorism, the OSCE can contribute to, and help lead, that multilateral effort. I thenlook forward to hearing from panelists and other members during the course of today's session what you andy o u r governments have to say about the role of the OSCE in the financial aspects of our joint struggle againstterrorism.First, I am struck that so many of the same anti-terrorist themes we will be addressing here today recur invirtually every meeting, conference or encounter between governments today. In its broad outlines andcommon goals, the dialogue we are having in Prague and within the OSCEisalso being conducted in capitals,chanceries, legislatures, newsrooms, cafes and living rooms in our home countries. Since the events of lastSeptember in the United States, nations and peoples everywhere are engaged with a remarkable sense ofunity in a struggle to understand and to overcome the common threat which global terrorism represents.I' d like to r e v i e w with you some of the financial and economc aspects of our collective campaign, with specificr e f e r e n c e to the actions and goals of the United States and the United Nations, and then address current rolesand potential leadership of the OSCE in this e f f o r t .Our collective e f f o r t must place high priority on the combatting andsuppression of terrorist financing - chokingoff the resources that make the horrific events like those ofSeptember 11 possible. My own Government,based on the work of our policy coordinating commttee which brings together the Department of State, the

http://www .state.gov/e/eb/rls/rrn/2002/10605.htm 1/12/2004

• 8/14/2019 T4 B12 Wayne- E Anthony Fdr- Entire Contents- Anthony E Wayne 2002-2003- Testimony and Remarks- 3 Transcri

2/3

TESTIM O N Y BY E . A N TH O N Y W A Y N EASSISTANT SECRETARY FO R ECO N O M I C A N D BUSINESS AFFAIRSD EPA RTM EN T OF STATETO THESENATE BANKING COMMITTEE

September 25, 2003U.S. INTERAGENCY EFFORTS TO COMBAT TERRORIST FINANCING

M r. Chairman and dis t inguished m embers of the Committee: thank you for theopportunity to testify on U.S. efforts to com bat terrorist financing.The U ni ted States remains engaged in a long-term war against terrorism. I thank you foryour suppo rt and for providing the necessary tools for wag ing this war. This fightrequires actions on several fronts. A critical front is the effort to defeat, disrupt, anddestroy the financial networks that sustain terrorists and fina nce their op erations.I would like to begin by recognizing how far we have come in terms of USG interagencycoordination when it comes to dealing with terrorist financ ing. W e have made enormousstrides in improv ing the degree to wh ich all U.S. agencies with equities related to thepursuit of terrorist financin g cooperate and coordinate their efforts. This stronginteragency teamwork involves th e intelligence and law enforcement comm uni t ies , aswell as State, Treasury, H om eland Secu rity and Justice collectively pursu ing anunde rstanding of the system of finan cial backers, facil i tators and intermediaries that playa role in this shadowy financial world. I t involves the Treasury Department, coordinatingth e pol icy process by which w e examine actions to disrupt these financial networks. Itinvolves th e Department of Justice leading th e investigation an d prosecution in aseamless, coordinated campaign against terrorist sources of f inancing. And, it involvesth e State Department leading th e interagency process through which w e develop andsustain the bilateral and multilateral relationships, strategies and activities, including, incoordination w ith Justice, Treasury and H ome land Security, the provision of training andtechnical assistance, to win vital international support for and cooperation with ourefforts.A Policy Coordination Com mittee established under th e framework of the NationalSecurity Council an d chaired by the Department of the Treasury ensures that ou ractivities are well-coordinated. The Department of State, th e Department of theTreasury, th e Department of Justice, th e Department of Homeland Security, intell igenceagencies, and law enforcement agencies all work very closely together in this effort. TheDepartment of Hom eland Secur i ty is a recent addition to the framework and we lookforward to inv olvin g them in the disruption of networks bearing also on hom elandsecurity. O ur task has been to identify, track and pursue terrorist finan cing targets and towork with th e internat ional com mun i ty to take measures to thwart th e ability of terroriststo raise and chan nel the funds they need to survive and carry out their heinou s acts.

3/3

International Dimension of Combating the Financing of Terrorism Page 1 of 5

W U.S. DEPARTMENT of STATEInternational Dimension of Combating the Financing of TerrorismE. Anthony Wayne. Assistant Secretary for Economic and Business AffairsTestimony to House Committee on International Relations, Subcommittee on InternationalTerrorism, Nonproliferation and Human RightsWashington, DCMarch 26, 2003Mr. Chairman and distinguished members of the Committee: Thank you for the opportunity to testifyon the international dimensions of the fight against terrorist finance. The United States remainsengaged in a long-term war against terrorists and terrorist organizations with global reach. I thankyou for your support and for providing the necessary tools for waging this war. This fight requiresactions on several fronts. A critical front is the effort to disrupt the financial networks that sustainthese organizations and finance their operations.Since our enemy has global reach and is supported by a global network, we need a global strategy. The StateDepartment has been a close partner with the Department of the Treasury, the Departments of Justice andHomeland Security, law enforcement agencies, and intelligence agencies, as the Administration hasformulated and implemented a comprehensive strategy to disrupt, dismantle and shut down the financialnetworks that support terrorism.I would like to take this opportunity to highlight two major developments over the past year and a half affectingour fight against international terrorist financing. The first involves the nature of the USG's [U.S. Government's]own approach to tackling international terrorist financing and the second, on which I will elaborate, involves thenature of the international community's efforts.USG EffortsRegarding the USG's own efforts, I believe it is important to recognize how far we have come in termsofinteragenfjy pr.nrHinati/-.n vV e have made enormous strides in improving the degree to which all u.b. agencieswith equities related to the pursuit of terrorist financing cooperate and coordinate their efforts. This stronginteragency teamwork involves the intelligence agencies, with support from other agencies including the StateDepartment, all leading the Administration's efforts to understand the system of financial backers, facilitatorsand intermediaries that play a role in this shadowy financial world. It involves the Treasury Department,working with other agencies, leading the process bywhich we examine the actions bywhich we can disruptthese networks. The Department of Homeland Security will also be assuming an important place in thisinteragency process. And it involves the State Department leading the interagency process through which wedevelop and sustain the bilateral and multilateral relationships, strategies and activities to win internationalsupport for and cooperation with our efforts.A Policy Coordination Committe^ established under the framework of the National Security Council andchaired by the Department of the Treasury ensures that these activities are well-coordinated. The DepartmentoTbtate, the Department ot the Treasury, the Department of Justice, increasingly now the Department ofHomeland Security, intelligence agencies, and lawenforcement agencies have all worked very closelytogether. Their task has been to identify, track and pursue terrorist financing targets and to get the internationalcommunity to take measures and adopt rules and regulations designed to undermine the ability of terrorists toraise andchannel the funds they need to survive andcarry out their heinous acts.A key weapon in this effort has been the President's Executive Order 13224, which was signed on September23, 2001, just 12 days after September 11. That Order initiated an unprecedented effort in history to identifyand to freeze the assets of individuals and entities associated with terrorism across the board. Under that

http://www.state.gOV/e/eb/rls/rm/2003/l 9113pf.htm 5/6/2003