t3 b3 national strategy to combat wmd fdr- entire contents- reference material- 1st pgs only- for...

President Announces New Measures to Counter th e Threat of WMD Page 1 of 5 Clic k to Print this President George W. Bush For Immediate Release Office of the Press Secretary February 1 1 , 2004 President Announces New Measures to Counter the Threat of WMD Remarks by the President o n Weapons o f Mass Destruction Proliferation Fort Lesley J. McNair - National Defense University Washington, D.C. 2:30 P.M. ES T THE PRESIDENT: Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm honored to visit th e National Defense Univers ity. For ne arly a century, the scho lars and students here ha ve helpe d to prepare America for the chang ing threats to our natio nal security. Today, the men and women of our National Defense University are helping to frame th e strategies throug h which we are fighting and winning the war on terror. Your Center fo r Counterproliferation Research and your other institutes and college s are providing vital insig ht into the dang ers of a new era. I want to thank each one of you for devoting you r talents and your energy to the service of our great nation. I want to thank General Michael Dunn fo r inviting me here. I used to jo g by this facility o n a regular basis. Then my age kicked in . (Laughter.) I appreciate Ambassador Wolfgang Ischinger, from Germany. Mr . Ambassador, thank you for being here today. I see my friend, George Shultz, a disting uishe d public servant and true patriot, with us. G eorge, thank you fo r coming; and Charlotte , it's good to se e you. I'm so honored that Dick Lugar is here with us today. Senator, I appreciate yo u taking time an d thanks for bring ing Senator Saxby Chambliss with you, as well. I appreciate th e veterans who are here an d those on active duty. Thanks for lettin g me co me by. On Septe mber the 11 th, 2001 America and the world witnessed a new kind of war. We saw the great harm that a o ur bo x an d 1 9 airline attacks also raised th e prospect of even worse dangers -- of other weapons in the hands of other men. Th e greatest threat before hum anity today is the poss ibility of secret and s udde n attack with chemical or biological o r radiological or nuclear weapons. In th e past, enemies o f America required massed armies, an d great navies, powerful ai r forces to put our nation, ou r people, our friends an d allies at risk. In th e Cold War, Americans lived under th e threat of weapons o f mass destruction, but believed that deterrents made those weapo ns a last resort. What has chang ed in th e 21st centu ry is that, in the hands of terrorists, weapons of mass destruction would be a first resort -- the preferred means to further their ideology of suicid e and rand om murder. These terrible weapons are becoming easi er to acquire, build, hide , and transport. Armed with a sing le vial of a biolog ical age nt or a single nuclear weapon, small gro ups of fanatics, or failing states, could gain the power to threaten g reat nations , threaten the world peace . America, and the entire civilized world, will face this threat for decades to come. We must confront the danger with open eyes, and unbending purpose. I have made clear to all the policy o f this nation: America will not permit terrorists and dangerou s regimes to threaten us with the world's most deadly weapons. (Applause.) Meetin g this duty has required change s in thinking and strategy. Doctrines designed to contain empires, deter aggressive states, and defeat massed armies cannot fully protect u s from this n e w threat. America faces the po ssibility of catastrophic attack from ballistic http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/02/print/2004021 l-4.html 2/11/2004

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

8/14/2019 T3 B3 National Strategy to Combat WMD Fdr- Entire Contents- Reference Material- 1st Pgs Only- For Reference 119

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/t3-b3-national-strategy-to-combat-wmd-fdr-entire-contents-reference-material- 1/4

President AnnouncesNew Measures to Counter the Threat of WMD Page 1 of 5

Click to Printthis

President George W. Bush

For Immediate ReleaseOffice of the Press Secretary

February 1 1 , 2004

President Announces New Measures to Counter the Threat of WMDRemarks by the President on Weapons of Mass Destruction ProliferationFort Lesley J. McNair - National Defense UniversityWashington, D.C.

2:30 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm honored to visitthe National Defense University. For nearly a century, the scholarsand students here have helped to prepare America for the changingthreats to our national security. Today, the men and women of ourNational Defense University are helping to frame the strategiesthrough which we are fighting and winning the war on terror. YourCenter for Counterproliferation Research and your other institutesand colleges are providing vital insight into the dangers of a new era.I want to thank each one of you for devoting your talents and yourenergy to the service of our great nation.

I want to thank General Michael Dunn for inviting me here. I used tojog by this facility on a regular basis. Then my age kicked in. (Laughter.) I appreciate Ambassador WolfgangIschinger, from Germany. Mr. Ambassador, thank you for being here today. I see my friend, George Shultz, adistinguished public servant and true patriot, with us. George, thank you for coming; and Charlotte, it's good tosee you. I'm so honored that Dick Lugar is here with us today. Senator, I appreciate you taking time and thanksfor bringing Senator Saxby Chambliss with you, as well. I appreciate the veterans who are here and those onactive duty. Thanks for letting me come by.

On September the 11 th, 2001 , America and the world witnessed a new kind of war. We saw the great harm that astateless network could inflict upon our country, killers armed with box cutters, mace, and 1 9 airline tickets. Thoseattacks also raised the prospect of even worse dangers -- of other weapons in the hands of other men. Thegreatest threat before humanity today is the possibility of secret and sudden attack with chemical or biological orradiological or nuclear weapons.

In the past, enemies of America required massed armies, and great navies, powerful air forces to put our nation,our people, our friends and allies at risk. In the Cold War, Americans lived under the threat of weapons of massdestruction, but believed that deterrents made those weapons a last resort. What has changed in the 21st centuryis that, in the hands of terrorists, weapons of mass destruction would be a first resort -- the preferred means tofurther their ideology of suicide and random murder. These terrible weapons are becoming easier to acquire,build, hide, and transport. Armed with a single vial of a biological agent or a single nuclear weapon, small groupsof fanatics, or failing states, could gain the power to threaten great nations, threaten the world peace.

America, and the entire civilized world, will face this threat fordecades to come. We must confront the danger with open eyes, andunbending purpose. I have made clear to all the policy of this nation:America will not permit terrorists and dangerous regimes to threatenus with the world's most deadly weapons. (Applause.)

Meeting this duty has required changes in thinking and strategy.Doctrines designed to contain empires, deter aggressive states, anddefeat massed armies cannot fully protect us from this new threat.America faces the possibility of catastrophic attack from ballistic

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/02/print/2004021l-4.html 2/11/2004

8/14/2019 T3 B3 National Strategy to Combat WMD Fdr- Entire Contents- Reference Material- 1st Pgs Only- For Reference 119

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/t3-b3-national-strategy-to-combat-wmd-fdr-entire-contents-reference-material- 2/4

Joint Statement on Proliferation ofWeapons of Mass Destruction Page 1 of 2

Click to Printthis

President George W. Bush

For Immediate ReleaseOfficeof the Press Secretary

June 25, 2003

Joint Statementon

Proliferationof

Weaponsof

Mass DestructionJoint Statement by President George W. Bush, European Council President Konstandinos Simitis, and EuropeanCommission President Romano Prodi on the Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction

Proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and their delivery systems constitutes a major threat tointernational peace and security. The threat is compounded by the interest of terrorists in acquiring WMD. Thiswould undermine the foundations of international order. We pledge to use all means available to avert WMDproliferation and the calamities that would follow.

We will work together to strengthen the international system of treaties and regimes against the spread of WMD.This implies the development of new regimes, as appropriate, and reinforcement of existing regimes. We willpursue the goal of universal membership of relevant multilateral treaties and agreements.

We will seek to ensure strict implementation and compliance. We are willing to work with all those who respectinternational nonproliferation norms; we are committed to dealing effectively with those who ignore them or cheat.

We will support, when necessary, non-routine inspections.

We recognize that, if necessary, other measures in accordance with international law may be needed to combatproliferation.

We will work together to deploy our combined political and diplomatic influence most effectively in support of ournonproliferation objectives.

We will work together to develop further a common assessment of global proliferation threats.

We welcome the statement on nonproliferation by European Union Heads of State and Government atThessaloniki and the G8 Declaration of the Non-Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction. We reaffirm ourjoint commitment to relevant treaties and agreements, in particular the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. We willwork together in all areas to stop and reverse proliferation.

In particular:

We will explore ways to make the International Atomic Energy Agency's (IAEA) Safeguards Agreements andAdditional Protocols a standard for nuclear cooperation and nonproliferation. We urge all States with nuclearfacilities or activities to ratify and implement these Agreements and Protocols without delay. Furthermore, on anurgent and exceptional basis, taking account of the increase in the Agency's workload in this area, we will supportan adequate increase in the IAEAsafeguards budget to ensure the credibility of the IAEA's verification system.

We will strengthen both export controls on materials and technologies related to WMD and their delivery systemsas well as their enforcement and implementation. We believe that national controls should include criminalpenalties for the illegal export, transshipment or brokering of weapons of mass destruction, missile deliverysystems, and materials or technology for use in WMD or missile programs. We will work together with like-mindedpartners to tighten export controls, where necessary providing assistance to create and improve effective,enforceable national export control systems. We agree to introduce catch-all provisions, where appropriate. Wewill share information so as to identify new patterns of procurement by State and non-State actors. We will seeknew methods to stop the proliferation trade to and from countries and entities of proliferation concern.

We will work together in the framework of the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BTWC) to strengthen

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/06/print/20030625-17.html 2/11/2004

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/t3-b3-national-strategy-to-combat-wmd-fdr-entire-contents-reference-material- 3/4

Statement ofDCI George Tenet Before the Congressional Joint Inquiry on9/11: October ... Page 1 of 22

• This site is hosted by Netfirms Web Hosting

Sponsored Links

Homeland Security GuideA complete list of homeland securitynames, agencies & contacts

Akiva Homeland SecuritySoftware for homeland securitycollaboration systems.

FDA Anti radiation pillsFDA approved Potassium Iodide fornuclear radiation emergencies.

Did Bush Falsify W MSend a free fax to Congresthem to only investigate Ira

Written Statement for the Record of theDirector of Central Intelligence

Before theJoint Inquiry Committee

17 October 2002

I welcome the opportunity to be here today and to be part of an inquiry that is vital to all Americans. OnSeptember 11 , nearly three thousand innocent lives were taken in brutal acts of terror. For the men andwomen of American Intelligence, the grief wefeel—the grief w e share with so manyothers—is onlydeepened by the know ledge of how hard wetried—without success—to prevent this attack.

It is important for the Am erican people to understand wha t CIA and the Intelligence Com munity weredoing to try to prevent the attack that occurred — and to stop attacks, which al-Qa'ida hascertainlyplanned and remains determined to attempt.

What I want to do this morning, as explicitly as I can, is to describe the war we have waged for yearsagainst al-Qa'ida — the level ofeffort, the planning, thefocus, and the enormous courage anddisciplineshown by our officers throughout the world. It is important for the American people to understand howknowledge of the enemy translated into action around the globe— including the terrorist sanctuary ofAfghanistan—before September 11.

It is important to put our level of effort into context— to understand the tradeoffs in resources andpeople, we had to make — the choices w e consciously made to ensure that we maintained an aggressivecounterterrorist effort.

W e need to understand that in the field of intelligence, long-term erosions ofresources cannot be undonequickly when emergenciesarise. And we need to explain the difference that sustained investments inintelligence—particularlyin people— will meanfor our country's future.

We need to be honest abou t thefact that our homeland is verydifficult to protect. For strategic warningto be effective, there must be a dedicated program to address the vulnerabilities of ourfree and opensociety. Successive administrations,commissions, and the Congress have struggled with this.

To me, it is not a question of surrendering liberty for security, but of finding aformula that gives us thesecurity we need todefend the liberty we treasure. Not simply todefend it in time ofpeace, but topreserve it in time ofwar—a war in which we m ust be ready to playoffense and defensesimultaneously. That is why we must arrive— soon— at a national consensus on Homeland Security.

We need to be honest about our shortcomings, and tell you what we have done to improve ourperformance in the future. There have been thousands of actions in thiswar—an intensely humanendeavor—not all of which were executed flawlessly. W e made mistakes.

http://9-11congress.netfirms.com/Tenet.html 2/11/2004

http://slidepdf.com/reader/full/t3-b3-national-strategy-to-combat-wmd-fdr-entire-contents-reference-material- 4/4

N A T I O N A LS T R A T E G YT O

C O M B A T W E A P O N S

O F M A S SD E S T R U C T I O N

D E C E M B E R 2 0 0 2