N Level 1189 20% 40/40 marks O Level 1127 20% 40/40 marks

Secondary Three NORMAL ACADEMIC

Term

One W

eek Four

Class

Periods

English

Paper 1 (both N/O levels) Free Choice Composition 30/30 Situational Writing 30/30

English

Paper 2 (1189) CLOZE 15/15 Reading Comprehension 40/40 Vocabulary 5/5 Summary Writing 20/20 Paper 2 (1127) Reading Comprehension 20/20 Vocabulary 5/5 Summary Writing 25/25

English

Paper 3 (both N/O levels) Reading Aloud 12/12 Picture Discussion 12/12 Conversation 16/16

Mon 24 Jan

3D 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 NARRATIVE WRITING – single word or single phrase essay writing

EXECUTION Teacher explained the use of Marking and Essay Correction Framework – TENSE SPELLING STRUCTURE MEANING to students. Teacher guided students on each item and then fielded any questions that ensued. Teacher then explained the use of Brainstorming Grid – Narrative-Descriptive S.T.A.R. Grid – SETTING TROUBLE ACTION

REFLECTION Based on this chalk-and-talk lesson, I have made the following observation of this batch of 3NA students in terms of how much they really know about the skills set involved in writing a narrative-descriptive essay.

1. They are not acquainted with the idea that their teacher is their READER.

2. They are also not exposed to the persuasion that when they write, they had to show consideration to their READER.

3. They have not been previously exposed to the idea of DRAFTING before presentation of their FINAL DRAFT for

Page 2: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

RESOLUTION Teacher again guided students on each item and then fielded any questions that ensued. Teacher then explained the general expectations GCE O level examiners have concerning the STRUCTURE of an essay and suggested the following STRUCTURE to the students: The structure of an Essay: INTRODUCTION paragraph MAIN BODY PARAGRAPH 1 MAIN BODY PARAGRAPH 2 MAIN BODY PARAGRAPH 3 MAIN BODY PARAGRAPH 4 CONCLUSION paragraph Teacher guided students one step further to diagnose students’ understanding in the use of perspective or point of view in constructing narration. Teacher also checked on students’ understanding of the difference between narrative and personal recount.

grading. 4. They are still not clear about

the Parts of Speech of the English Language.

There are many more points to be documented but the above are my main concerns and they can be addressed accordingly through further contact hours with the students during follow-through writing sessions. It is however, quite heartening to see that many students are quite eager to learn about how they may be able to improve their writing skills over time.

3B 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 NARRATIVE WRITING – single word or single phrase essay writing

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION 3B may be a through train class but there are students in this class who are still quite slow in managing their focus even though they may be physically present in class. Also some students did not attempt their

Page 3: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

homework and during file checking, held back the class time considerably. At this time of the year, in order to establish the teacher’s expectation, I am prepared to “waste” time now so as to “gain” time later.

3C 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 NARRATIVE WRITING – single word or single phrase essay writing

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As reported – See box concerning 3D above.

Tues 25 Jan

3D 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 NARRATIVE WRITING – single word or single phrase How the INTRODUCTION paragraph for a narrative essay can be easily written by using the S.T.A.R. Grid.

EXECUTION Teacher demonstrated the writing of the INTRODUCTION using the SETTING component of STAR. SETTING TROUBLE ACTION RESOLUTION Teacher introduced the 6W1H to help students dealing with INTRODUCTION – Setting – Who? Which? What? Why? Where? When? and How? Teacher instructed the students to

REFLECTION I noticed the amazement in the faces of my students when they saw for themselves how easily the INTRODUCTION (narrative writing) was written using 6W1H. Awareness is not enough. Interest is the push needed to motivate the students to write based on Active Thinking and Questioning.

Page 4: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

THINK and ASK questions when they write. They should avoid writin without thinking. Thinking is an integral part of writing.

3B 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 As above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

3C

2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 As above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

3D 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 Checking of the students’ work-in-progress.

EXECUTION Teacher went from one student to another to see if the students were progressing fine with their essays-in-progress.

REFLECTION It was a time consuming process but if done correctly, it would be a one-off process.

3B 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 As above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

Wed 26 Jan

3C 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 As above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

Thurs 27 Jan

3C 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 Infusion of FEELING and THINKING sentences in students’ writing

EXECUTION Teacher provided the students with the teacher’s response to the 500 word essay entitled “A home-cooked meal”. Teacher went through the essay beginning from INTRODUCTION all the way down to the CONCLUSION paragraph by getting students to read aloud. Teacher asked the students what was still “LACKING” in the teacher’s essay.

REFLECTION It was quite obvious the students were quite surprised to see that I have done my “homework” as well. It is important indeed that when I give out a piece of homework, I, as the teacher, should also do that homework. I also make sure that I put my essay up for close scrutiny by my students.

Page 5: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

Teacher then informed the students that his essay needed to be “further improved” but the question was “how?” Teacher then introduced the need to infuse “THINKING” and “FEELING” sentences to one’s narrative writing.

3D 1 FOCUS: PAPER 1 As above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

3B 3 FOCUS: PAPER 1 As above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

Fri 28 Jan

3D 2 FOCUS: PAPER 1 Students to craft their DRAFT 2 based on the corrections or improvements they have made to their respective DRAFT 1.

EXECUTION Teacher instructed students to check through their DRAFT 1 to see if there were corrections and improvements to be made. They were supposed to use the Editing Framework – TENSE SPELLING STRUCTURE MEANING to help them scrutinize their essays. After that, the students began redrafting to generate DRAFT 2.

REFLECTION They have quite obviously never done PROCESS WRITING before. I also observed that many did not really know what to do with the Editing Framework – TSSM, but this did not mean that they could not produce a “better” DRAFT 2. I have increased the students’ awareness of the quality standards they need to bring to their readers, i.e. the teacher (and then who knows?) I do not accept scripts which are untidily written with scratch marks or correction taping. I

Page 6: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

also do not accept scripts which are not written on a proper foolscap sheet. All essays have to be written in proper paragraphs. Good handwriting is basic good manners. I also went around correcting the way the students sat when they were writing.

3C 1

FOCUS: PAPER 1 Students to craft their DRAFT 2 Based on the corrections or improvements they have made to their respective DRAFT 1.

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION I did not collect the work from this class because they did not have enough time to complete within 30 minutes.

Term

One W

eek Four

Class

Periods

Secondary 2 NA Literature Genre: Play Text: Emily of Emerald Hill Unseen Prose Unseen Poem

3 NA Character Development Class 3D Home Room

Page 7: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

Mon 24 Jan

2B 1 FOCUS: PLAY READING Emily of Emerald Hill Pages 3 – 6 Close Reading – Reading between and beyond the lines

EXECUTION Teacher guided student line by line from Pages 3 – 6 allowing time for students to annotate. Teacher also fielded questions raised by students.

REFLECTION This is an effective method with this class because the students did a preliminary reading before they came into the class. It had certainly helped them to annotate more accurately and relevantly when they listened to the teacher’s interpretation of the play text.

Tues 25 Jan

2C 2 FOCUS: ASSESSMENT T1W4 Class Assessment 1A

EXECUTION Teacher issued Class Assessment 1A for the students to attempt and complete in class.

REFLECTION With this class, the test took up more time than was needed but

Wed 26 Jan

3D 1 FOCUS HOMEROOM Focus 1 Housekeeping matters – Encouraging students (Notice Board Committee Members) to get the Classroom Notice Board really for CNY Decorations Judging Focus 2 Housekeeping matters – Encouraging students (led by the class chairperson) to contribute to the CNY (Foreign Workers Goodies Bag) and allowing time for the class to discuss on what

EXECUTION Teacher encouraged the Noticeboard Committee students to put finishing touches to the CNY notice board decorations while the rest of the class brainstormed for goodie items to be given to the Foreign Workers.

REFLECTION I had given myself time to observe how the newly formed class noticeboard committee worked and how the class chairpersons interacted with the rest of the class.

Page 8: T1 w4.2011 lesson records by yyh

to give.

3D 1 FOCUS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT Housekeeping matters continued as above

EXECUTION As above

REFLECTION As above

Thurs 27 Jan

2C 1 FOCUS Lesson was cancelled because of the students’ participation in the FIRE DRILL.

EXECUTION Teacher led students to the new courtyard of the ISH to hand the class over to their FT for attendance taking.

REFLECTION Nothing to report.

Fri 28 Jan

2B 2 FOCUS: ASSESSMENT T1W4 Class Assessment 1A T1W4 Class Assessment 1B

EXECUTION Students attempted and completed test in given time.

REFLECTION Nothing to report. Students in this class were extremely on task. Only one student, Lynn Wong was absent.