t1 b27 document request dci 29 fdr- entire contents- emails- document request- withdrawal notice-...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T1 B27 Document Request DCI 29 Fdr- Entire Contents- Emails- Document Request- Withdrawal Notice- WSJ Articl

1/8

Page 1 of 1l;9/ll Closed by Statute

Yoel TobinFrom: Yoel Tobin / I j \: Thursday, January 08, 2004 1 : J4J5 Plv)

TO:9/11 Clos ed b y S t a t u t e / I iCo: Steve Dunne / M \: RE: DCI document request no. 2 .9

Thank you for the suggestion -- thru this 4-rrjail I amalerting Steve Dunne to,this, aswell. Thanks.Qr[ainal Message4- I I

9/11 Closed by StatuteSent:Thursday, January 08, 2004 11:32 A lTo: Yoel Tobin / i \: Re: DCI document request no. 29

thanks, would be helpful in ari unclassified context if the document itself referred to the fact thatyour information comes from an ppen source a la CIA briefing request #6, thanksYoel Tobin wrote: I \t request iS based on an article in the Wall Street Journal of December 20,

2002, entitled "Friend or;Foe: The Story of a Traitor to al Qaeda[:] Divided Allegiances inYemen Undo the Betrayier, Who Himself is Betrayed."Yoel I \l Message-!-

From: Steve Dgnne iSent; Thursday, January 08, 2004 9:57AMCc: Yoel TobinSubject: RE: DCI document request no. 29My understanding is that all the information in the request came from a Wall StreetJournal article. If you;still think it needs to be classified, please talk to Yoel.Thanks. i \l Message

From;! I ISent:Wednesday, January 07, 2004 6:22 PMTo: Steve DurineSubject: Re:DCI document request no. 29steve: this should have been classified.Steve Dunne iwrote:

[Attached as a Word document isDd documentrequest no. 29. Please call Yoel Tobin at 202-331-4071with any questions about this request and to arrange forproduction. Feel free to call Dan or me as well if anyissues arise. Thanks. Steve

1/8/2004

• 8/14/2019 T1 B27 Document Request DCI 29 Fdr- Entire Contents- Emails- Document Request- Withdrawal Notice- WSJ Articl

2/8

,:/9/ll Closed by Statute Page 1 of

Yoel TobinFrom: Steve Du.nne .Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 5:05 PMCc: '[email protected]'; Dan Marcus; Team 1; Dianna CampagnaSubject: DCI document request no. 29

| I Attached as a Word document is DCI document request no. 29. Please call Yoel Tobin at 202-331-4071 with any questions about this request and to arrange for production. Feel free to call Dan orme as well if any issues arise. Thanks. Steve

1/7/2004

3/8

UNITED13H. KeanCHAIR

H. HamiltonVICE CHAIRBen-Veniste

F. FieldingGorelick

Gorton

LehmanRoemer

R Thompson

D. ZelikowDIRE CT OR

DCI DOCUMENT REQUEST No. 29The National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Up on the United States (the"Commission") requests that the Director of Central Intelligence (DCI or the"respondent") provide the Commission with copies of the following documents nolater than Jan uary 21 , 2004 (the "production date"):1. All statements, debriefings, reports, d ocuments, videotapes, audiotapes, or othermaterials deriving from or relating to Ahmed Nasrallah, aka Abu Ibrahim alMasry.2. To the extent not already produced in response to item 1 above, all statements,

debriefings, reports, documents, videotapes, audiotapes, or other materialsrelating to a purported 1998 defector from al Qa'ida who allegedly approachedthe Yemen i intelligence agency, which then allegedly alerted al Qa'ida.To the extent the requested materials are not in English bu t have been translated intoEnglish, the Comm ission requests copies of the English translations rather thancopies of the originals.The Com mission requests that the docum ents requested above be provided as soon asthey are available, even thoug h all requested documents may not be provided at thesame time, through means of a "rolling" production.If any requested documents are withheld from production, even temporarily, based onan alleged claim of privilege or for any other reason, the Commission requests thatthe respondent, as soon as possible and in no event later than the production date,identify and describe each such document or class of documents, as well as thealleged basis for not producing it, with sufficient specificity to allow a meaningfulchallenge to any such withholding.If the respondent does no t have possession, custody or control of any requesteddocuments but has information about where such documen ts may be located, theComm ission requests that the respondent provide such information as soon aspossible and in no event later than the production date.If the respondent has any questions or concerns ab out the interpretation or scope ofthese docum ent requests, the Commission requests that an y such questions orconcerns be raised w ith the Com mission as soon as possible so that any such issuescan be addressed an d resolved prior to the production date.January 7, 2004 Daniel Marcus, General Counsel

T E L (202) 331-4060F A X (202) 296-5545

www.9-1 lcommission.gov

4/8

5/8

age P a g e 2 o f 2

Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 12:37 PMTo: Dan Marcus; Steve DunneCc: Team 1; Team 1A; Team 3Subject: DCI Doc Request on Yemeni DefectorDan:Here is a proposed document request, based on a Wall Street Journal articlea copy of the article in your box.Yoel

will stick

1/7/2004

6/8

DCI DOCUMENT REQUEST NO.The Nationa l Commission on Terrorist Attacks Up on the United States (the"Commission") requests that the Director of Central Intelligence (DCI or "respondent")provide the Commission with copies of the following documents and other materials nolater than January , 2004 (the "production date"):

1. all statements, debriefings, reports, docum ents, videotapes, audiotapes, and othermaterials deriving from or relating to Ahmed Nasrallah, aka Abu Ibrahim alMasry;2. to the extent not covered b y #1 above, all statements, debriefings, reports,documents, videotapes, audiotapes, and other materials relating to a purported 1998defector from A l Qaeda who allegedly approached the Yemeni intelligence agency,was interrogated by it, and then turned over to al Qaeda.

To the extent these materials are not in English but have been translated into English, wewould request copies of the English translations rather than the original materials.The Com mission requests that the materials requested above be provided as soon as theyare available, even though all requested materials may not be provided at the same time,through means of a "rolling" production.If any requested materials are withheld from production, even temporarily, based on analleged claim of privilege or for any other reason, the Commission requests that therespondent, as soon as possible and in no event later than the production date, identifyand describe each such item or class of items, as well as the alleged basis for notproducing it, with sufficient specificity to allow a meaningful challenge to any suchwithholding.If the respondent does not have possession, custody or control of any requested materialsbu t has information about w here such m aterials may be located, the Commission requeststhat the respondent provide such information as soon as possible and in no event laterthan the production date.If the respondent has any questions or concerns about the interpretation or scope of theserequests, the Com mission requests that any such questions or concerns be raised with theCommission as soon as possible so that any such issues can be addressed and resolvedprior to the production date.December ,2003Daniel MarcusGeneral Counsel

7/8

December 20, 2002 10:23 a.m. ESTPAGE ONE

December 20, 2002Friend or Foe: The Story Of a Traitor to al Qaeda Divided Allegiances in Yemen UndoThe Betrayer, Who Himself Is BetrayedBy ANDREW HIGGINS and ALAN CULLISON Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREETJOURNALSANAA, Yemen - Fed upafter two decades of Islamist plotting, the veteran Egyptianmilitant decided to jilt the jihad. In early 1998, he walked into the heavily guardedoffices of Yemen's intelligence agency, the Political Security Organization, with astartling proposal: He could help unravel Osama bin Laden's network.He disclosed the hiding places in Yemen of foreign terrorists, including one who wouldshortly become Mr. bin Laden's chief lieutenant. He described the extremists'weaponry, security and violent plans for the future. He revealed the locations of alQaeda encampments in and around Marib, a desert region scattered with ruins of thebiblical kingdom of Sheba.But instead of cracking down on the militants, members of Yemen's security servicetipped them off. Mr. bin Laden's acolytes grabbed their turncoat, grilled him about histreachery and made plans to send him to Afghanistan to be killed. What should havebeen a triumph in a shadowy struggle against terrorism became an intelligence coup forthe terrorists. Safe in Yemen, they went on to launch a string of attacks there, from thebombing of the USS Cole to an assault on a French oil tanker, the Limburg, this fall.On Nov. 3, more than four years after the warning about camps in Marib, the desertregion was targeted for a lethal assault - not by theYemenis but by the CentralIntelligence Agency. Monitoring satellite-telephone chit-chat, the CIA tracked twoToyotas carrying suspected al Qaeda members across the desert. An unmanned U.S.spy plane then fired a Hellfire missile that incinerated six people, including Qaed SalimSinan al-Harethi, a Yemeni suspected of helping organize the Cole attack.The missile strike blew a hole in a diplomatic fagade, as well. After Sept. 11, PresidentBush gave the world a simple choice: "Either you are with us or you are with theterrorists." Yemen - Mr. bin Laden's ancestral homeland - and other hotbeds ofIslamist sentiment such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia declared themselves "with us."Their leaders pledged unequivocal support for the struggle against al Qaeda. But withinthese nations' bureaucracies, not to mention their citizenries, the lines of loyalty arefuzzy.The U.S.-Yemen relationship is unusually delicate today, after the U.S. asked Spain's

8/8

W I T H D R A W A L N O T I C ERG: 148Box: 00010 Folder: 0027 Document: 3Series: Team 1 FilesCopies: 1 Pages: 1

ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

Folder Title: Document Requests: DCI 29Document Date: 12-23-2003Document Type: Note/NotesFrom: Yoel TobinTo: Team 3

Subject: e-mail re: DCI Document Request #29

In the review of this file this item was removed because access to it isrestricted. Restrictions on records in the National Archives are stated ingeneral and specific record group restriction statements which are availablefor examination.

NND: 281Withdrawn: 04-23-2008 by:RETRIEVAL*: 281 00010 0027 3

i*A*^n^AS

/LJ&4S L&