t1 b19 current threat fdr- entire contents- 2 withdrawal notices- 5-1-04 cia ctc briefing slides and...

Upload: 911-document-archive

Post on 30-May-2018

Category:

Documents

0 download

TRANSCRIPT

• 8/14/2019 T1 B19 Current Threat Fdr- Entire Contents- 2 Withdrawal Notices- 5-1-04 CIA CTC Briefing Slides and 2-24-04 DCI

1/4

W I T H D R A W A L N O T I C ERG: 148Box: 00007 Folder: 0002 Document: 15Series: Team 1 FilesCopies: 1 Pages: 10

ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

Folder Title: Current ThreatDocument Date: 05-01-2004Document Type: Briefing SlidesFrom:To:

Subject: "AI-Qa'ida: Trends and Prospects" from CIA's CTC

In the review of this file this item was removed because access to it isrestricted. Restrictions on records in the National Archives are stated ingeneral and specific record group restriction statements which are availablefo r examination.

NND:281Withdrawn: 04-08-2008 b y : ] RETRIEVAL #: 281 00007 0002 15

• 8/14/2019 T1 B19 Current Threat Fdr- Entire Contents- 2 Withdrawal Notices- 5-1-04 CIA CTC Briefing Slides and 2-24-04 DCI

2/4

W I T H D R A W A L N O T I C ERG: 148Box: 00007 Folder: 0002 Document: 16Series: Team 1 FilesCopies: 1 Pages: 99

ACCESS RESTRICTEDThe item identified below has been withdrawn from this file:

Folder Title: Current ThreatDocument Date: 02-24-2004Document Type: Briefing PaperFrom:To:

Subject: 'DCI's Worldwide Threat Briefing"

In the review of this file this item was removed because access to it isrestricted. Restrictions on records in the National Archives are stated ingeneral and specific record group restriction statements which are availablefo r examination.

NND: 281Withdrawn: 04-08-2008 by:RETRIEVAL #: 281 00007 0002 16

3/4

FBI Press Room - Congressional Statement - 2004 - TESTIMONY OF ROBERT S. MUE... Page 1 of 5

CongressionalStatementFederalBureauf InvestigationFebruary 24, 2004

TESTIMONY OFROBERT S. MUELLER, IIIDIRECTORFEDERAL BUREAUOF INVESTIGATIONBEFORE THESELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE OF THEUNITED STATES SENATE

Good morning, Mr. Chairman, Senator Rockefeller, and Members of the Committee. Iappreciate this opportunity to discuss the world threats facing this nation and how theFBI has adapted to meet emerging threats. I am going to touch on some of thesuccesses of the past 12 months, but I would like to say, at the outset, that none of thesesuccesses would have been possible without the extraordinary efforts of our partners instate and municipal law enforcement and our counterparts around the world. TheMuslim, Iraqi, and Arab-American communities have also contributed a great deal to oursuccess. On behalf of the FBI, I would like to thank these communities for theirassistance and for their ongoing commitment to preventing acts of terrorism. All of usunderstand that the threats we face today, and those wewill face tomorrow, can only bedefeated if we work together.

SUCCESSES IN THE WAR ONTERRORISMIn2003, the United States and its Allies made considerable advances toward defeatingthe al-Qa'ida network all over the world. Since this Committee's World Wide Threathearing last year, the efforts of the FBI, and our state and local law enforcementpartners, to identify terrorists and dismantle terrorist networks have yielded majorsuccesses:

In Cincinnati, anal-Qa'ida operative wascharged with providing material supportto terrorists.

In Baltimore, a resident was identified as an al-Qa'ida operative with directassociations to now detained senior al-Qa'ida operatives Tawfiq Bin Attash andKhalid Sheikh Mohammed. InTampa, the U.S. leader of Palestine Islamic Jihad (PIJ), and three of hislieutenants were arrested under the RICO statute for their participation in a

conspiracy which contributed to the deaths of two U.S. citizens in Israel. In Newark, three individuals, including an illegal arms dealer, were indicted for

their role in attempting to smuggle an SA-18 shoulder-fire missile system into theU.S. InMinneapolis, an individual who trained inAfghanistan and provided funds to

associates in Pakistan was recently arrested and charged with conspiring toprovide material support to al-Qa'ida.

And in cities across thecountry, the FBI, along with our law enforcement partners,conducted over 10,000 interviews of Iraqi expatriates to seek information insupport of Operation Iraqi Freedom. These efforts resulted in the generation anddistribution of information that proved valuable to our troops in Iraq, and to ourcounterterrorism and counterintelligence programs.

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress04/mueller022404.htm 2/25/2004

4/4

The Worldwide Threat 2004: Challenges in a Changing Global Context Testimony of Dir... Page 1 of 19

Central Intelligence AgencyDiredwr of Central Intelligence

Home Notices | Privacy | Security | Contact Us | Site Map | Index | Search

S P E E C H E S A N D T E S T I M O N YThe Worldwide Threat 2004: Challenges in a Changing Global ContextTestimony of Director of Central IntelligenceGeorge J. Tenetbefore theSenate Select Committee on Intelligence

24 February 2004(as prepared for delivery)

Good morning, Mr. Chairman, Mr. Vice Chairman, Members of the Committee.Mr. Chairman, last year I described a national security environment that was significantly morecomplex than at any time during my tenure as Director of Central Intelligence. The world I willdiscuss today is equally, if not more, complicated and fraught with dangers for United Statesinterests, but one that also holds great opportunity for positive change.TERRORISMI'll begin today on terrorism, with a stark bottom-line:

The al-Qa"ida leadership structure we charted after September 11 is seriously damagedbut the group remains as committed as ever to attacking the US homeland. But as we continue the battle against al-QA'ida, we must overcome a movementa globalmovement infected by al-QA" Ida's radical agenda. In this battle we are moving forward in our knowledge of the enemyhis plans, capabilities,and intentions. And what we've learned continues to validate mydeepest concern: that this enemy

remains intent on obtaining, and using, catastrophic weapons.Now let me tell you about the war we've waged against the al-QA"ida organization and itsleadership.

Military and intelligence operations by the United States and its allies overseas havedegraded the group. Local al-QA"ida cells are forced to make their own decisions becauseof disarray in the central leadership.AI-QAIda depends on leaders who not only direct terrorist attacks but who carry out the day-to-day tasks that support operations. Over the past 18 months, we have killed or captured key al-QA'ida leaders in every significant operational arealogistics, planning, finance, trainingandhave eroded the key pillars of the organization, such as the leadership in Pakistani urban areas

http://www.cia.gov/cia/public_affairs/speeches/2004/dci_speech_02142004.html 2/25/2004