sustainable food: how to eat more healthy at home and an event
out of 65
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONMCI webinar about sustainable food. what is it? Why? And how to incorporate into an event. Some case studies, stories and great pictures.
- 1 Sustainable Food How to eat more sustainably at an event or at home Guy Bigwood, Group Sustainability Director Roger Simons, Group Sustainability Manager
- Objectives By the end of the session we aim for you to: 1. Be able to articulate the growing trend and benefits of sustainable F&B to clients 2. Get a checklist on sustainable F&B 3. Learn 3 things you can do at home or at your next event 3
- Guy Bigwood, Group Sustainability Director Its not a nice-to-have. And we dont do it to look good. Sustainability is a business imperative. Its a competitive advantage, an economic opportunity and a driver of innovation. Through sustainability we enhance the quality of our service, creating value for our clients, talent, and the communities which we serve. Sustainability
- WHY IS SUSTAINABLE FOOD IMPORTANT?
- A Sustainable Future Current Reality Living beyond the limits of earths system Source:The Natural Step Sustainable Supply Sustainable Demand
- The risks 8 Food Safety Health / nutrients Environmental Damage Biodiversity Damage Long term sustainability
- Dangerous Waters 85% of oceans fisheries are over exploited Plus pressure from climate change and pollution 9
- 50% of the fish we eat is farmed 10
- 11 40 million tonnes of food wasted by US households UK Households waste 25% of all the food they buy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCVrkcaH6Q
- 12 All the world's nearly one billion hungry people could be lifted out of malnourishment on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe. http://www.thinkeatsave.org/
- 14 TOP FOOD TRENDS The National Restaurant Association's recently released "What's Hot in 2014" chef survey. 1. Locally sourced meats and seafood 2. Environmental sustainability 3. Waste reduction
- 15 43 % of diners say they would pay up to 10% more for a meal in a sustainable restaurant
- Interaction Time- What is local food? 16 I define local as..Type your answer in the chat box.
- Definition of local food? 17 Dependent on where you hold event In the US its often 100miles (160km) The APEX-ASTM standards states 250miles (approx. 400km)
- 18 Storytelling
- 20 A new study from Datassential found one-third of restaurant chains now have at least one vegetarian starter. Top vegetables menus: Onions and tomatoes Up and coming: Foraged foods such as local mushrooms
- 21 UK & US CAMPAIGN. $90 billion is spent annually by US government in an effort to combat obesity but no focus on healthy food in schools?!!
- Interaction Time- What is organic food? 22 I define organic as..Type your answer in the chat box.
- Some food is better organic 24
- What is fairtrade? 25 One in every three bananas sold in the UK is Fairtrade
- Interaction Time- Name some SUPERFOODS! 27 ..is a superfood Type your answer in the chat box.
- 28 Oily Fish- Blue Berries-Kale-Broccoli-Beetroot
- Brainfood from Rezidor Plenty of fish, whole-grain products, fruits and vegetables Primarily fresh, locally sourced foods Pure ingredients, with minimal processing Less meat with never more than 10% fat content Focus on delicious taste and healthy options Natural sweetening with no more than 10% sugar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6Cumijg08 30
- Dangerous Waters 31
- 32 Sustainable seafood can be defined as species that are caught or farmed in a way that ensures the long-term health and stability of that species, as well as the greater marine ecosystem.
- How do you know? 33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H86Z3qm vXk4&feature=youtu.be
- 34 The MCI way HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR EVENT FOOD MORE SUSTAINABLE?
- 35 The Checklist
- YOUR JOURNEY TO BETTER F&B 3 6 RETHINK IMPROVE REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE DONATE
- All venues, destinations and caterers should be assessed for sustainability and safety Conduct Event Safety & Sustainability Tool Analysis Value for client: Less risk
- 38 ask your suppliers what they can do to make your F&B more sustainable
- USE SUSTAINABILITY TO IMPROVE THE DINING EXPERIENCE 39 FLOSS Fresh Local Organic Seasonal Sustainable
- 40 SOURCE LOCAL AND TELL THE STORY
- 41 GO LOCAL: FROM FARM TO TABLE
- 42 PROMOTE EXCITING VEGETARIAN OPTIONS
- 43 USE REUSABLE OR EDIBLE CENTREPIECES
- 44 SOURCE FAIRTRADE
- Claudia vant Hullenaar 4 5 http://www.mcsuk.org/downloads/fisheries/PocketGoodFishGuide2014.pdf Work with chefs to serve more sustainable fish and seafood
- SERVING WATER DIFFERENTLY
- 47 CONFIRM YOUR NUMBERS
- 48 Compost food waste
- DONATE UNWANTED FOOD
- 50 INNOVATE
- 51 Case studies
- Novo Nordisk UK Brief was to change behaviour, for attendees to adopt new business behaviours and for event to trigger change Used RFID wristbands for attendees to gain points by making right choices in terms of physical activity, wellbeing and diet Super points were gained by individuals selecting fresh fruit and juices during refreshment breaks over traditional coffee and pastries RESULTS: Between 76% to 80% of delegates had a healthy option at lunch each day 52
- Claudia vant Hullenaar Global Events, EMEA 53
- Food & Beverage Use sustainability to enhance the dining experience 54 FLOSS Fresh Local Organic Seasonal Sustainable Local country Cuisine
- SETTING GOALS Deliver High Quality Eating Experience For Attendees (+75% satisfaction) All F&B providers to deliver more sustainable F&B at no additional cost 70% local (within 250km), 15% organic and 25% Vegetarian 50% Waste Diversion Rate
- Food & Beverage Discuss FLOSS concept with catering partners and their chef. Search for more balanced, healthier and exciting options Use real service ware in place of reusable metal cutlery and ceramic plates Eliminate disposable items like plastic service food options Minimize food waste by composting or donating food to local social cause Water: No pre-pouring of beverages at set tables for any catering functions - Water served in jugs - eliminate plastic bottled water ((TBD with suppliers) Use only sustainable fish 56
- Claudia vant Hullenaar Global Events, EMEA 57 Work with chefs to tell a story about local food and sustainability
- ICCA Scandinavian Chapter: Twitter: #ICCASCAN Its not difficult but we have to train Its about PROG