strategic planning in advertising
out of 54
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONGriffin Farley helps us understand all forms of strategic planning in advertising including Brand Planning, Account Planning, Media Planning, Connections Planning, Transmedia Planning and Propagation Planning. Griffin will also cover the deliverables for each form of planning and creative examples that have leveraged the various processes.
- STRATEGIC PLANNING IN ADVERTISING By Gri n Farley for the Tampa Ad2 Club September 2009
- This weekend I watched the movie BIG with my family. The main character was promoted to VP of Product Development because he was able to bring insights about children to upper management. The consumer (himself as a 14 year old boy) was the only thing he knew to talk about. The best planners are able to think about their consumers like that.
- First Job in Advertising It also hit home for me because my first job in advertising was marketing toys.
- year year year year year year 1 2 3-4 5-6 7 8-10 Since then I have had the pleasure of working on lots of different brands, but more importantly for a strategic planner was the opportunity to talk to lots of different consumer audiences.
- My Goal Tonight I want you to add something to your marketing tool box. Maybe its a theory, maybe its a blog I reference or maybe its a case study that I show you. If you dont learn anything new come talk to me afterwards.
- Brand Planning Account Planning Media Planning Connection Planning Propagation Planning Transmedia Planning These are the different forms of strategic planning that I am going to talk about tonight.
- Brand Planning
- WHO DOES BRAND PLANNING? Research and Brand Managers in Marketing Departments, Brand Consulting Firms, Ad Agencies
- WHAT DOES BRAND PLANNING PRODUCE? Brand Positioning Statements, Brand Strategies, Brand Audits, Brand Propositions, Product Propositions, Consumer Motivational Drivers, Brand Portfolio Architectures, New Product Development Ideas, Retail Store Environment Themes, Naming Results
- TOOLS TELL PRODUCT STORIES I want to talk about how brand planning can tell product stories better.
- Deliverable: Product Proposition (Products O er _________ ) Oneness Brotherhood Beauty Wonder Truth Accomplishment Security Freedom Justice Love Duty Wisdom Book: The Experience Economy, developing meaningful consumer experiences What is the core emotional meaning of this product and what does it offer people?
- Deliverable: Brand Positioning Blog: Royal Society of Account Planning/ The Hero and the Outlaw Book (Caregiver) Care for Others - Campbell Soup, (Creator) Craft Something New - Home Depot, (Ruler) Exert Control - American Express, (Member) Be OK just as they are - Dove, (Jester) Have a Good Time - Miller Lite, (Lover) Find and give Love - Hallmark, (Warrior) Act Courageously - Nike, (Outlaw) Break the Rules - Harley-Davidson, (Magician) Affect Transformation - Viagra, (Innocent) Retain or Renew Faith - Blue Bell Ice Cream, (Explorer) Maintain Independence - REI, Sage) Understand their World - Sprint Now Network
- Account Planning
- WHO DOES ACCOUNT PLANNING? Ad Agencies
- Before Account Planning Client Account Director Creative Research Book: How to Plan Advertising
- After Account Planning Client Account Account Director Planner Creative Book: How to Plan Advertising
- WHAT DOES ACCOUNT PLANNING PRODUCE? Creative Briefs, Key Strategic Ideas, Business Building Tactics, Ongoing Awareness Tracking Studies, Surveys, Discussion Guides for Focus Groups, Communication Plans, Competitive Audits, Consumer Profiles
- TOOLS FINDING INSIGHT I want to talk about how account planning can help find better insights.
- Deliverable: An Insight Where do insights come from?
- Deliverable: Big Idea Product/ Service Competition Consumer Big Idea Typical Agency Planning Model
- Haagen-Dazs Goodby Silverstein Societal Platform Political Action PR Social http://www.effie.org/winners/showcase/2009/3595
- Media Planning
- WHO DOES MEDIA PLANNING? Media Buying and Planning Agencies, Ad Agencies
- TOOLS LEVERAGE PARTNERS I want to talk about how media planning can leverage partners better.
- Lexus Team One Publishing Content Customization http://work.canneslions.com/media/?award=2
- Whats the di erence between Media Planning and Connection Planning Engagement Media Plans Plans Reach & Relevance & Frequency Context Cost per Cost per Thousand Advocate (CPM) (CPA) Share of Share of Voice Culture
- Connection Planning
- WHO DOES CONNECTION PLANNING? Media Buying and Planning Agencies, Ad Agencies
- TOOLS MEDIA CLUTTER I want to talk about how connections planning helps brands break through the media clutter.
- go where people are, not where media is found Copy: Hey, city that never sleeps. Wake up. Product: Folgers
- go where people are, not where media is found Copy: Keep Playing Product: A Venice Italy Casino
- know the time and place of your message Copy: To all those who use our competitors products: Happy Fathers Day. Product: Durex condoms
- media that makes people participate Message: Make trash a sport Product: Nike
- Oasis Dig Out Your Soul BBH NYC User Generated Content Reinventing an album launch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_Bex8zmuQ
- Transmedia Planning
- Branding as Matching Luggage This doesnt work in Transmedia Planning Storytelling is incredibly important here
- WHO DOES TRANSMEDIA PLANNING? Communication Planning Firms, ARG Firms, Film Production Houses, Ad Agencies, 42 Entertainment, Campfire, GMD Studios, Desedo Films
- WHAT DOES TRANSMEDIA PLANNING PRODUCE? Alternate Reality Games, Worlds that Brands Create, Remixed Content
- TOOLS COMBINE AND REMIX I want to talk about how transmedia planning lets each medium tell a story by itself as it ladders up to a collective greater narrative.
- TRUE BLOOD LAUNCH CASE STUDY 1 2 3 4 5 CREATIVE MARKET IDEA PARTICIPATORY FEEDBACK STIMULUS INTELLIGENCE PROPAGATION PLATFORM POINTS Campfire, Deep Focus, HBO at the Futures of Entertainment 3 Conference in Boston
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-TWKHS6Gg Dark Knight - Why So Serious 42 Entertainment Community Experience ARG
- Propagation Planning
- WHO DOES PROPAGATION PLANNING? Social Media Firms, Communication Planning Firms, Ad Agencies
- WHAT DOES PROPAGATION PLANNING PRODUCE? Social Media Influencer Identification, Communication Plans, Organized Social Media Campaign Launch Strategies
- TOOLS SHARE AND INFLUENCE
- OUR AGENCY HAS TALKED ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF TURNING THE FUNNEL ON ITS SIDE BBDO Sydney
- SO HOW DO YOU PLAN WITH BOTH OLD FUNNEL AND NEW FUNNEL OBJECTIVES?
- EXPAND YOUR DEFINITION OF MEDIA Group M, 2008 Account Planning Conference in Miami
- BRING NEW THINKING TO COMMUNICATIO
View more >