star wars in second life
Post on 21-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
2. STAR WARS in Second Life 3. STAR WARS IN SECOND LIFE
- Members who are part of the Star Wars sub-culture in Second Life do so to role play a star wars fantasy in Second Life. As learnt from interviews, all elements are role played; the day to day conversations, the battles and protection of property.
4. OTHER DUTIES OF STAR WARS MEMBERS IN SL
- Role-playing is the central activity but Star Wars members also:
- build items andsims
- welcome newcomers,
- manage groups
- organize events
5. STAR WARS MUSEUMS IN SL 6. SL SPECIFIC TERMINOLOGY:
- OOC:Short for "out of character." Avatars role-playing in, for instance, a Star Wars setting may, to make a point as their real selves, begin a statement with "OOC.
- RP:Role-play. Taking on and playing the role of a different character This is SL at its most game-like. There are communities of Elves, Star-Wars and Star-Trek avatars, dragons, and, of course, a large and active adult-themed community all "in character.
- - Essid, J 2008, Literature, Technology, and Society: Invented Worlds,http://writing2.richmond.edu/jessid/eng216/216terms.html
- SWRP:Star Wars Role Playing
- Combat systems:These systems are scripted avatar attachments, which cantrack the health andstamina, and other factors for each player involved in fights. There are various types of combat systems used and they can also track experience points, character stats and special abilities such as the level of the force a resident has attained.
- - Unknown Author(s), What are combat systems?, SWRP Wikia, viewed 06 Sep 09,< http://swrp.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_System
7. ONE PARTICULAR SWRP STORY LINE
- A mysterious Force Artifact, created by Lord Darth Cesstus and his apprentice Darth Veritas through an ancient Sith Ritual; Veritas betrays her master and turns the ritual against him, trapping him in the Artifact along with other victims creating a syphon of the Force from which to tap energy, and massive amounts at that, for the wielder's purpose.
- Many many years later after the old Hotel was bombed (allegedly) by the Sith, construction crews found tunnels underneath the rubble. Those led to a cave in the Dune sea, and a note, and the Relic. Hotel owner Orno Venaar found the Relic and showed Tatooine Senator Kandara Aruru.
- Once in the possession of the Senator Aruru, the Black Sun stole it, then by Jedi Master Sondigh Mureaux liberated it and still moves it from system to system to tempt Darth Cesstus' new, albeit remote, accomplice, Darth Koruptys (aka former Jedi Master Suuda Frea) and uncle to Kaminari Shinn.
- All strands of the web point to the relic, and Darth Cesstus' will to be free. He convinced Suuda to turn to the darkside, become his former apprentices' apprentice but Darth Veritas soon learned of his plans, and left him for dead in the sarlac, or so she thought.
- Now Suuda wants revenge and to take his rightful place by Darth Cesstus' side - by any means necessary - even if he has to sacrifice his own neice.
- - From Little Mos Eisley
8. DOMINATING GROUPS IN SWRP
- New Order of the Jediwere originally founded in late 2005 as a break-away from the original Jedi Order, which is no longer active. They follow Jedi Code.
- Dark Lords of the Sith , and other aligned groups such as the Dark Force of the Sith form the darker elements of SWRP. They follow the Sith Code and currently reside on Byss
9. NEW ORDER OF THE JEDI CODE FOR RP ON RUUSAN 24, 34, 44
- General RP guidelines.
- Keep IC and OOC separate: Please remember, this is an RP sim. You should refrain from having OOC conversations in main chat. Use of double brackets (( )) or /me OOC is permitted but should be used sparingly
- Do NOT metagame (metagaming = use of OOC knowledge when IC).
- Do NOT Godmode (Godmoding = RPing anything without giving others a choice of reaction).
- Caging, orbiting, or the general use of weapons and other objects for assault, harassment and disturbing the peace are dealt with an immediate ban.
- No swearing/cursing/foul language. Keep it PG: While this sim is classified as Mature (M), this is for combat reasons ONLY. Foul language is not tolerated.
- Intolerant speech is not allowed: Intolerance in ANY form is not acceptable. This is NOT limited to people of a particular ethnicity or RL minority group, but also includes other minority groups within SL, such as furries
- Sexual harassment is not allowed: Sexual harassment in ANY form is not acceptable on Ruusan.
10. RULES ON MOS EISLEY 11. TIES TO THE MOVIE MOS EISLEY
- Mos Eisleyis a spaceport town on the planet Tatooine. Overrun by criminal transients on the lam, Mos Eisley has been described as a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It was at Mos Eisley that Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi secured transit off Tatooine. The two hired the services of Han Solo and Chewbacca, smugglers they met at the Mos Eisley Cantina.
- - Retrieved 12/09/09 fromhttp://www.starwars.com/databank/location/moseisley/
- Little Mos Eisley(nicknamed LME) is a roleplaying estate on Second Life, featuring the Mos Eisley spaceport and town on the Tatooine planet. The sims also provide a large amount of shops in both the town and inside the spaceport.
- - Retrieved 12/09/09 fromhttp://swrp.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Mos_Eisley
12. DECOUVRIR AT MOS EISLEY AIRPORT 13. INTERVIEW WITH TONY MACALROY (AT MOS EISLEY AIRPORT)
- Decouvrir Drammond: hello tony
- Tony Macalroy: hello
- D: how long have you been participating in SL Star wars?
- T: about 1 year
- D: approximately how much time would you spend in a week participating?
- T: not much about 2 to 3 hours
- D: ok. and what is it that you do as a sith minion? [this was the title under his name]
- T: i protect my master and my temple from attack
- D: do you work as a group to complete this task?
- T: yes
- D: ok tony. just one last question please. why do you participate in SL Star Wars?
- T: coz i love starwars
- D: so its mostly about being able to act out something you like?
- T: yep
- Conclusion from interview: This person participated because of the enjoyment of being able to act of Star Wars the way any star wars fan would if they were playing a Star Wars game on any console (i.e. xbox, ps3, computer). It did not seem to be the fact that it was in Second Life that made it particularly enjoyable.
14. WATCHING STAR WARS RP BATTLE 15. INTERVIEW WITH BEN1066 ZEPLIN, WHILST WATCHING PREVIOUS BATTLE SCENE
- Devouvrir Drammond: what activities do you participate in SL star wars. fighting? hanging out with friends? meeting new people?
- Ben1066 Zeplin: I spend about a third of the time with my group or on the planet that we reside on. The other two thirds are spent elswhere, wandering around for whatever RP I can find, be it fighting or talking.
- D: does the fighting have a purpose?
- B: To further RP, where it fits in. For example, I've been hunting members of a mandalorian splinter group because of their relation to mine and what they have done in their RP. I only do FCC fightinig which is RP in itself.
- D: so most people come to RP? including fighting? or do many come just to socialise...as you do on your planet
- B: It's Star Wars Role Play. The socializing is in character.So that is RP as well.
- D: would it be possible to see the planet which you are reffering to?
- B: It is Zonama Sekot
- Conclusion: This individual seems to enjoy all elements of SWRP. And talking him made me understand clearer that the whole idea of the SL SW universe is one big role play. All elements of interaction as meant to be played in character. I subsequently visited Zonama Sekot, see photo attached of its recruitment posters. This was a planet is home to the Potentium.