Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSelf- Portraits. Symbolism and Meaning. What is art?. Art is…. A way for us to express our feelings. A way for us to make a statement about what we think of society and how we fit in. A way for us to change the world and our culture through creativity. What is a self –portrait?. Van Gough. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Symbolism and Meaning
What is art?
• A way for us to express our feelings.• A way for us to make a statement about what
we think of society and how we fit in.• A way for us to change the world and our
culture through creativity.
What is a self –portrait?
Modernism(not so modern anymore)
Picasso Sculpture in Chicago
Where do we see symbolism?• Kahlo was influenced by indigenous Mexican culture, which is apparent in
her use of bright colors and dramatic symbolism. She frequently included the symbolic monkey.
• She combined elements of the classic religious Mexican tradition with surrealist renderings.
Where do we see symbolism?• Dalí employed extensive symbolism in his work. For instance, the hallmark "soft watches" that first appear
in The Persistence of Memory suggest Einstein's theory that time is relative and not fixed.• The idea for clocks functioning symbolically in this way came to Dalí when he was staring at a runny piece
of Camembert cheese on a hot day in august.
Jean Michel Basquiat
More Info on Cindy Sherman
Cindy in STUDIO
When Warhol first exhibited these thirty–two canvases in 1962, each one simultaneously hung from the wall like a painting and rested on a shelf like groceries in a store. The number of canvases corresponds to the varieties of soup then sold by the Campbell Soup Company. Warhol assigned a different
flavor to each painting, referring to a product list supplied by Campbell's. There is no evidence that Warhol envisioned the canvases in a particular sequence. Here, they are arranged in rows that reflect the chronological order in which they were introduced, beginning with "Tomato" in the upper left,
which debuted in 1897.
Shepard Fairey (OBEY)
Shepard Fairey + Propoganda
More info on Silkscreening
YOUR ASSIGNMENT: UNEXPECTED ME: Redefining the Selfie
• Create a Self-Portrait using a picture we take in class.
• Determine 3 or 4 parts of your personality and identity to represent.
• Determine creative and unexpected ways to represent these 3 or 4 ideas symbolically.
• We will be using the lasso tool, feather tool, opacity tool, and layers palette in ADOBE Photoshop to complete this portrait.