royal weddings of england
Click here to load reader
Post on 21-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- PowerPoint Show by Andrew
- British royal weddings take place about once a generation and are celebrated in lavish tradition. Fans of the royal family gather early, crowding around London's Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's Cathedral to catch glimpses of royalty and be a part of these rare occasions. Since the beginning of the 20th century, these massive events have been captured by photographers, allowing close-up views of the royals in their finest attire and providing a record of the times. These are collections of images from royal weddings past -- from Princess Mary and Viscount Lascelles in 1922 to Lady Diana Spencer and Prince Charles in 1981.
- Police officers restrain people who turned out for the wedding of Princess Mary and Henry Charles George, Viscount Lascelles, in February of 1922.
- The Duchess of York leaves her house for her wedding in April of 1923.
- The bride and groom pass crowds of cheering people as they return to Buckingham Palace after their wedding ceremony at Westminster Abbey, England, on April 26, 1923.
- The royal wedding party, with the Duke of York and his bride at the center in May of 1923.
- In the foreground, Princess Elizabeth (the future queen), watching the departure of the Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester and his wife Princess Alice, on November 6, 1935.
- Britain's Duke and Duchess of Gloucester wave to the huge crowd gathered outside Buckingham Palace, on November 6, 1935.
- Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Philip Mountbatten in September 1947, two months before they were to be married.
- An ocean of humanity in London on November 20th, 1947, as people try to get a glimpse of the Royal Wedding procession of Princess Elizabeth.
- The bridal procession carrying Princess Elizabeth and her father King George VI is seen turning into Whitehall in London on November 20th, 1947.
- Two London constables stand guard over the 500-pound, nine-foot high official wedding cake of Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Philip Mountbatten, Nov. 16, 1947.
- Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh wave to the crowd from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
- Princess Elizabeth, now Queen, and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, now the Duke of Edinburgh with their eight bridesmaids in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace, on their wedding day.
- This is the official wedding picture of Princess Elizabeth and her new husband Prince Philip,Duke of Edinburgh.
- Anthony Armstrong-Jones holds the hand of his bride, Princess Margaret of Britain May 6, 1960 as they leave London's Westminster Abbey after their wedding.
- The wedding of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips at the Westminster Abbey in London, England on November 14, 1973.
- Princess Anne, shown with her father Prince Phillip, during her wedding to Captain Mark Phillips on November 14, 1973.
- Princes Anne and Capt. Mark Phillips share a laugh on the balcony of Buckingham Palace after their wedding.
- The wedding of Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips Nov. 14, 1973.
- Crowds sleep out in front of St. Paul's Cathedral in London on July 19, 1981 to be sure of getting a good view of the Royal Wedding procession of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer the next day.
- Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer are shown on their wedding day at St. Paul's Cathedral in London on July 29, 1981.
- With a 25-foot sweeping train, the Princess of Wales, former Lady Diana Spencer, leaves St. Paul's Cathedral arm in arm with Prince Charles at the end of their wedding ceremony.
- The wedding cake - five feet high and weighing 255 for the marriage of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
- Prince Charles kisses his bride, Princess Diana on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
- Prince Andrew and his bride Sarah Ferguson greet the waiting crowds from their carriage as they leave Westminster Abbey in London, July 23, 1986.
- Front pages of British national newspapers Friday Feb. 11, 2005 show the news of the marriage between Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles due to take place on April 8, 2005.
- Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles at the ceremony April 8, 2005.
- Newlyweds Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles.