Open Source/Open Access/Freeware/Shareware Tools for Libraries
out of 46
Post on 28-Nov-2014
DESCRIPTIONOpen Source Software (OSS) is sometimes associated with Freeware and Shareware, but this webinar will eliminate that confusion and discuss the value of all three of these for your library. With libraries facing Draconian budget cuts it seems natural for them to select and use a variety of the above-mentioned software tools, but this frequently is not the case. Learn why in this presentation and leave with a jam-packed software toolbox.
- 1. Open Source/Open Access Freeware/SharewareTools For Libraries
- 2. http://www.slideshare.net/chadmairn @cmairn
- 3. Agenda Discover what open source, open access, freeware, and shareware is. Learn a variety of tools/services that you can use today in your library. Share with the group your favorite tools/services.
- 4. According to the Open Source Initiative,open source is a development method for software that harnesses the power of distributed peer review and transparency of process. The promise of open source is better quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, lower cost, and an end to predatory vendor lock-in. Source: http://www.opensource.org/
- 5. Pick a Linux distribution that best fits your needs.A distribution is an operating system that also includes a collection of software applications (e.g., word processors, spreadsheets, media players etc.) Check out Top Ten Distributions from Distrowatch.com
- 6. I am currently using 10.04 LTS (Long-term Support) http://www.ubuntu.com
- 7. Use InfraRecorder to burn the .ISO image file. http://infrarecorder.org/
- 8. Use a LiveCD and try Linux before installing it.
- 9. Having a LiveCD can help you gainaccess to a crashed non-Linux system!
- 10. Use VirtualBox to run Linux inside Windows or OSXDownload VirtalBox at: www.virtualbox.org
- 11. Use Wubi (Windows- based UBuntu Installer)http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer
- 12. Wubi will setup a dual boot system.
- 13. http://www.openoffice.org/
- 14. Open Access(OA) is the practice of providing unrestricted access via the Internet to peer-reviewed scholarly journal articles. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
- 15. Development of open access Source: http://goo.gl/6S6ex
- 16. http://roar.eprints.org/
- 17. Every article that we publish is open-access, freely available online for anyone to use. Sharing research encourages progress, fromprotecting the biodiversity of our planet to finding more effective treatments for diseases such as cancer. http://www.plos.org/
- 18. October 22-28th, 2012A global event, now in its 6th year, promoting OpenAccess as a new norm in scholarship and research. http://www.openaccessweek.org/
- 19. Creative Commons helps you share your knowledge and creativity with the world. It develops, supports, and stewards legal andtechnical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing, and innovation. Source: http://creativecommons.org/
- 20. Edit Wikipedia articles and include library resources.
- 21. Also, watch for:Open TextbooksOpen Education Open Library
- 22. Source: http://goo.gl/RzpB0
- 23. Free Education For AllWhat is the librarys role?
- 24. The average college graduate has $24,000 ineducation-related debt. So we have two choices: stop sending as many students to college or make college more affordable. Source: http://goo.gl/LTwFj
- 25. Harvesting open education?
- 26. Free Learning Management Systems http://coursekit.com/ http://www.joinopenclass.com http://moodle.org/
- 27. Promote DRM-free e-bookshttp://drmfree.calibre-ebook.com/ http://www.gutenberg.org/ http://overdrive.com/ http://openlibrary.org/
- 28. Are you currently weeding your physical collection? If yes! Then donate thesebooks to Open Library. More information at: http://openlibrary.org/
- 29. Shareware (trialware or demoware) proprietary software that is provided to userswithout payment on a trial basis and is oftenlimited by any combination offunctionality, availability (it may be functionalfor a limited time period only), or convenience(the software may present a dialog at startup orduring usage, reminding the user to purchase it. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware
- 30. http://www.tucows.com
- 31. http://download.cnet.com
- 32. Take advantage of the cloud. Google Drive
- 33. FreewareSoftware that is available for use at no cost.Freeware might be distributed for a business orcommercial purpose in the aim to expand themarket share of a "premium" product.Popular examples of closed-source freewareinclude Adobe reader and Skype. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware
- 34. What is calibre?calibre is a free and open source e-booklibrary management application developedby users of e-books for users of e-books. http://calibre-ebook.com/
- 35. What can calibre do? Manages your e-book collection. Converts many e-book formats. Syncs to a variety of e-readers. Downloads RSS feeds & converts to an e-book. Comprehensive e-book viewer. Content server for online access to your collection.
- 36. calibre ResourcesGet calibre!http://calibre-ebook.com/downloadcalibre User Manual: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/calibre: Watch it in action!http://calibre-ebook.com/democalibre MobileRead Forums:http://goo.gl/M9y0G
- 37. Download at http://goo.gl/zcYQK
- 38. http://sourceforge.net/
- 39. http://www.freewarefiles.com/
- 40. https://github.com/
- 41. http://handbrake.fr/ http://www.realvnc.com/Audacity is free, open source, cross-platformsoftware for recording and editing sounds.http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ http://filezilla-project.org/
- 42. What are your favorite tools/services?
- 43. The Future is Open!Hatsune Miku, a "virtual idol, a holographic star" is a crowdsourced piece of software making it big in Japan.
- 44. Lets Hangout!gplus.to/chadmairn
View more >
viewLinux is an example of..... Freeware . Open source software . Shareware . Complimentary . None of these . Which one of the following software applications would
Group 6 Will Culberson and Ben Henley. What is open source? Open source software is similar in meaning to freeware or shareware. Open source software.
KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN REGION – VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN ... List any one difference between Freeware and Shareware software. (1) f) ... ascending order of their DOB.
Ps3 games converter to pc free Games, Bought a PS3 game the other day. Call of duty modern Was wondering if game converter free download, game converter freeware and shareware
Aspecto Comparativo. Definición de software Software libre Software privativo Software semilibre Freeware Shareware Abandonware.