Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONOpen badges introduction. Presentation to Manchester Community Learning Strategy group, January 2013.
Learning happens everywhere.
But it's often difficult to get recognition for skills and achievements that happen online or out of school.
Open Badges are an attempt to solve that problem, allowing any organization to issue, manage and
display digital badges across the web.
Badges being developed to…
• Create an alternative accreditation / credentialing system
• Avoid silos; i.e. badges stuck in one learning system
• Accredit both ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ skills• Support learners learning everywhere
What is a badge and how does it work?
• An image embedded with metadata (sharable across the web)
• Metadata links to webpages, detailing who issued the badge, and what the learner has done
• Can include examples of work, i.e., portfolio
Learners choose what badges they want to earn
Learners can share the badge on their website, social networking profiles (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
Learners have control over their badge backpack
Virtually anyone can issue a badge, about virtually anything
Currently no standardisation within the badging infrastructure
Mozilla hosting Open Badge Infrastructure (OBI), facilitating the collection and sharing of badges