next generation cloud computing with google - rightscale compute 2013
out of 44
Post on 20-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Google Compute EngineGoogle Cloud StorageEvan Anderson, GCE Tech Lead (VM Environment)https://cloud.google.com/RightScale : Compute25 April 2013
- 2. The Plan Overview of Google Cloud Platform Google Compute Engine Google Cloud Storage Questions / ad hoc demos
- 3. Overview ofGoogle Cloud Platform
- 4. Google InfrastructurePerformanceRedundancyDisaster RecoveryAudits & CerticationsSecurityEnergy EcientGlobal Data Centers99.95% Uptime SLACompute Storage ServicesCompute Engine (IaaS)App Engine (PaaS)Cloud Storage (Object)Cloud SQL (Relational)BigQueryCloud EndPointsCachingQueuesand more...Cloud PlatformGoogle Services
- 5. Cloud Based Analytics PlatformStoreBackends +MapReduceExtract &TransformHadoopBigQueryAPISQLAnalyzeinteractively ServeLogstoreCloud StorageDatastoreLog dataUnstructureddataStructured data InteractiveDashboards + appsApplicationlevel codeCustom logic & 3rdparty librariesBI toolsGoogleSpreadsheets
- 6. Overview ofGoogle Compute Engine
- 7. Google Compute Engine Run almost any application on Googles infrastructure Offers virtual machines, storage, networking Allows services to scale efficiently with little work
- 8. Google Compute Engine in pictures tools, UI & API project instances network &firewalls storage
- 9. Google Compute Engine in picturesgcutilAPIs ConsoleGoogle Clientlibraries
- 10. Google Compute Engine in picturescloud.google.com/consoleUI is built on AppEngine. Uses public GCE APIs! No special sauce!
- 11. Google Compute Engine in picturesLinux VMs Modern CPU 1, 2, 4, 8 CPUs 3 memory sizes(RAM per CPU):o standard: 3.75GBo highcpu: 0.9Go highmem: 6.5G Root access
- 12. Google Compute Engine in picturesExternal Network External IPs FirewallsPrivate Network Isolated at the project level Internal DNSInstance name DNS name
- 13. Google Compute Engine in picturesStorage options: Persistent Scratch Cloud StorageOr: App Engine Google Cloud SQL ... anything you canconnect to!(Cassandra, MongoDB...)
- 14. Consistent CPU, network, and persistent disk performance. Dedicated scratch spindles for 4-cpu and 8-cpu VMs. Private networks for each project that span zones and regions. All data encrypted at rest. Building a consistent foundation on Googles infrastructure:o So you dont have to worry about VM provisioning or location!Strong Isolation of Virtual Machines
- 15. Frictionless Oauth2 with Service Accounts Frictionless Access to Google APIs Synthetic, managed identity for VMs and code no passwords required! Google Compute calling Google APIso Examples: Cloud Storage, App Engine task queue API App Engine calling Compute Engine APIo Use App Engine as orchestrator
- 16. (since Google I/O)Whats new inGoogle Compute Engine
- 17. First, one thing thats not new... Google Compute Engine is currently in Beta. Its used by dozens of Google projects internally. Recommended to build a multi-zone, multi-server architecture. GCE scheduled maintenance:o Up to 2 weeks every 20 weeks, one zone at a time. RightScales management layer can migrate servers across zones.
- 18. For more memory relative to virtual cores, use high memory machine types. For more virtual cores relative to memory, use high CPU machine types. Machine types without scratch disk are discounted relative to scratch disks.New: High memory and high CPU machine types
- 19. Add ability to hot-add and hot-remove external IPs from a running VM. Even across zones! Most useful with static external IPs.New: Dynamically move external IPs
- 20. Add and remove persistent disks to a running VM. Create a persistent disk from a stored disk image. Launch a VM from a persistent root disk. The same persistent disk can be attached read-only to multiple VMs.New: More Flexibility with Persistent Disks
- 21. Create snapshots of existing persistent disks and apply them to new disks. Works across zones and regions! 5GiB of data on 100GiB persistent disk == about 5GiB snapshot https://developers.google.com/compute/docs/disks#snapshots So, snapshots can be used to snapshot a read-write disk, create a new disk,and mount the new disk on N instances in read-only mode!New: Persistent Disk Snapshots
- 22. Added a --format flag for the list subcommands. The flag accepts the following values: table, sparse, json, csv, and names. --format=names allows gcutil to be used with Unix tool pipelines:o gcutil listinstances --format=names | xargs gcutil deleteinstance --force New: Better command line scripting: gcutil --format
- 23. New: more new stuff! Added new European zones.o europe-west1-ao europe-west1-b Instance Cloning and Move Between Zones Serial console output from a VM instance Updated images & kernels a few times
- 24. Demos!
- 25. gce-demos.appspot.com/quick-start
- 26. Command line$ gcutil addinstance INSTANCE_NAME --machine_type=n1-standard-1 --zone=us-central1-a $ gcutil ssh INSTANCE_NAME $ gcutil deleteinstance INSTANCE_NAME
- 27. By the way... These demos are App Engine apps!
- 28. Stories from the field(We love our partners!)
- 29. MapR Terasort RecordMapR World Record Previous RecordSort Time (s) 54 62Number of Servers 1003 1460Number of Cores 4012 11680Number of Disks 1003 5840Time to Build Cluster Minutes Months
- 30. Sorting depends on the speed of the slowest node. 4-CPU and larger nodes have a dedicated spindle. High network bandwidth between nodes.o No need to play games for switch or rack placement. CPU and memory isolation based on linux cgroups.o (Developed at Google to solve performance consistency!)Consistency is the key to speed in distributed systems
- 31. RightScale and Google to-date: Complete integration with Google Compute Engine Customers already running in betaRightScale and Google are better together! Combine the speed of GCE with the flexibility of RightScale to provision entire environments in minutes Reproduce existing deployments for development and testing with the click of a button Generate rich media and push to outlets like YouTube, G+, and other Google Properties without beingcharged for bandwidth!RightScale Seamless GCE Integration
- 32. High-endnetworkingGeo-DistributedVery highReliabilityStrongperformanceGovernanceMulti-CloudOne-clickDeploymentTemplatizedWorkloadLow CostAutomationBetter Together
- 33. Google Cloud Storage
- 34. Its an object store.AKA: blobstore, key-value store
- 35. Strong (read-after-write) data consistency Streaming uploads and resumable transfers, range read support Objects can be terabytes in size, with resumable uploads and downloads,and range read support. Serve static data via HTTP directly from Cloud Storage. OAuth 2.0 or interoperable authentication Signed URLs allow delegating access to non-authenticated users.Overview
- 36. We replicate to data centers spanning multiple geographically diverse citieso reducing the risk of natural disasters We can tolerate hardware failures to any part of the systemo disk drives, servers, network routers, data centers, network links, etc Data is delivered via Googles worldwide networko same network as YouTube, Gmail, etc We exercise a deep set of system tests before new releases Regular monitoring 99.9% Service Level Agreemento https://developers.google.com/storage/docs/slaReliable and available by design
- 37. Scalable...o requests, objects, GiBo scales down well - affordable, robust infrastructure Geographically redundant hosting for a single web page? Sure! Cloud Storage is the glue between all Google Cloud Serviceso BigQuery, Compute Engine, App Engine, etc... Reliable, available, durable...Why should you care?
- 38. Durable Reduced Availability storage class (lower cost storage for backups) Static website hosting Cross-origin resource sharing for web and mobile clients Integration with App Engine (new GCS Client Library) Detailed permissions settings Access logs, enabling audit of storage activity Short-lived signed URLs for delegated download or uploadContinuous Innovation: recently added features...
- 39. Cloud Storage is an HTTP serviceo serve data directly over HTTPo APIs for all Cloud Storage features Our general purpose tools are built on these APIs The exact same APIs are used by all of our developers and partners XML API is compatible with APIs from similar services: AWS S3, EucalyptusHTTP APIs (interoperable XML and Google standard JSON)
- 40. RightScale Google Offer
- 41. GCE access is available through RightScale today RightScale usage charges are waived for the first year for new customers Get access to the Google Compute for a low flat rate through RightScaleRightScale Offer
View more >