Make your presentations stick (1)
out of 8
Post on 22-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTechniques that will make your presentations stick in the minds & hearts of the audience.
- 1. Make Your Presentation Stick (1)Memorable presentations depend on subtle & skillful techniques How can you increase the shelf life of your presentations? What cutting edge techniques can maximise audience engagement & retention? Successful presentations are judged on their ability to impress the audience, long after the lights have been switched off!
- 2. 21st Century Challenges Face to face skills are on a downward spiral as the preferred method of communication relies on digital & social media methods Listening skills are on the decline, due to a surge in dependency on technological devices Attention spans are shrinking due to the fast-paced, time conscious, distraction driven, societal trends
- 3. 3 Stages To Keep Your Audience (for ever) RELATE (Connect) RETAIN (Hold) REMAIN (Preserve)
- 4. # 1 RELATE to the audience What How & Why Get to know your audience Find out the audience demographics in advance Read & assess body language; watch for eye movement & posture Observe their responses & adapt your talk (we build connections with those we see as similar) Say individuals names within your talk, naturally & Personalise your talk without deliberation (we are always flattered when someone says our names; it keeps individuals attention) Build instant rapport Use mirroring techniques, subtly (repeat words, copy gestures & voice tone of others, its subconsciously flattering) Tailor your talk Give examples & use metaphors that are relevant to the audiences experiences (they can connect it to their Aim for the heart not the own lifes experience, which increases understanding) head Combine logical arguments with emotion (if you want to persuade others to believe in what you believe in)
- 5. # 2 RETAIN (increase the shelf life of your talk) What How & Why Make the talk unique Tell remarkable stories that captivate the audiences attention (we tend to remember things that are different, that stand out as extraordinary) Make the talk easy to Use numbers, statistics etc. to create clarity & digest brevity (our brains are efficient numerical retainers) Use visuals that represent ideas/concepts (our brains process visuals better & faster than text) Use selected colours in your slide show & Colour your talk visuals (our brains are highly reactive to colour, which aids memory retention) Repeat key concepts in a variety of ways, Use repetition throughout your talk (to reinforce your message)
- 6. # 3 REMAIN (in the hearts & minds of the audience) What How & Why Divide your content into 3; divide your points into 3, Use the Power of 3 use counting gestures of 3 (research shows our brains process information more efficiently in groups of 3) Give mini- recaps Summarise sections throughout the presentation, dont leave it to the end (reinforcing will ensure long term retrieval in the audiences brains) End impactfully Re-energise, use power poses, add variety to your body language, change position; change voice tone; use hyperbole etc. (prevent the audience from getting to wind down mode & switching off) Just when the audience think youre coming to the end, add something amazing, significant, outstanding Keep the best till last (we are usually most receptive when we are alterted to something different, unusual or strange)
- 7. SummaryWhy: 21st Century communication favours short, quick bursts of information Attention span is in decline Brain efficiency is deteriorating as we rely more on technology to record/remember calculate/consider analyse/think & decideUse: To position your presentation in the hearts & minds of the audience To maximise audience retention span To stand out as an award winning communicatorHow: 3 Stage Framework 1. RELATE 2. RETAIN 3. REMAIN
- 8. Thats It!
View more >
Make Happy House puppets. = cut = stick House 2 Oxford University Press Make Happy House puppets. = cut = stick
MAKE IT STICK - ?· MAKE IT STICK THE SCIENCE OF SUCCESSFUL LEARNING Peter C. Brown Henry L. Roediger…
Make Improvement Stick - ihi. ?· Make Improvement Stick ... The Juran Trilogy 11 Quality Control. Quality…