Leadership is Simple, Followership is a Challenge - Lehigh University Guest Lecture
out of 29
Post on 01-Nov-2014
- 1. 2013 Joe Hessmiller Leadership is Simple The Challenge is Effective Followership
- 2. Joe Hessmiller Director, CAI Over 30 years in IT; analyst, programmer, project manager, business development, business unit manager, CIO. Worked with and learned from - dozens of executives and managers from F500 corporations, large government agencies and the military in US and UK. 2
- 3. Objective for Presentation 1. What Is Leadership? 2. What Is Followership? 3. Where Do You Start? 4. How To Get Others On Board? 3 Why is this important?
- 4. What Is Leadership?
- 5. What Is Leadership? Dave Ulrich & Norm Smallwood, What Is an Effective Leader?, RBL Group, 2009
- 6. Traditional Leadership Proficiency Basics Dave Ulrich & Norm Smallwood, What Is an Effective Leader?, RBL Group, 2009
- 7. Are Nothing Without Leadership Differentiation Leaders need to have the Leadership Code building blocks to be effective and they need to know their organizations unique brand Customize Your Style to the Organization Dave Ulrich & Norm Smallwood, What Is an Effective Leader?, RBL Group, 2009
- 8. But, Remember Collins Bottom Line Leadership Key: The Hedgehog Concept What Can You Be Best in the World At? What Is Your Denominator? What Are You Passionate About?
- 9. What Is Followership?
- 10. Warren Bennis: No Leadership Without Followership the longer I study effective leaders, the more I am convinced of the underappreciated importance of effective followers.. Warren Bennis, Distinguished Professor of Business Administration at the University of Southern California School of Business Administration, THE DILEMMA AT THE TOP; Followers Make Good Leaders Good, 1989
- 11. Leaders Need Effective Followers Executives who ignited transformations from good to great did not first figure out where to drive the bus, then get the right people to take it there. Instead, they got the right people on the bus and then figured out where to drive it. Jim Collins, Good to Great, 2001
- 12. Your Goal? BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ON THE BUS The Future Express
- 13. Follower Types
- 14. 10 Rules of Effective Followership 1. Be Coachable 2. Anticipate Needs 3. Seize the Initiative 4. Offer Solutions, Not Problems 5. Be Goal Driven, Not Interrupt Driven
- 15. 6. Do More Than Expected, But Not More Than You Should 7. Earn Trust Through Consistent Dependability 8. Communicate Proactively and Honestly 9. Be Loyal 10.Be Compassionate 10 Rules of Effective Followership
- 16. Another Point of View Follower Relationship Dynamic
- 17. Performance Initiative Working Effectively With Others Embracing Change Doing the Job (Competence) Seeing Oneself As A Resource
- 18. Relationship Initiative Building Trust Communicating Courageously Identifying with the Leader Adopting the Leaders Vision
- 19. Enough Theory Where Do You Start?
- 20. Understand Leadership Skill Cycle IDENTIFY Problems CONCEIVE Solutions PRIORITIZE Plans IMPLEMENT Capabilities PRODUCE Results Results Problems Solutions Plans Capabilities ENABLE Collabor ation ENSURE Contol
- 21. Start Making Things Happen and Sustaining the Change IMPLEMENT Capabilities PRODUCE Results
- 22. The Causes of Project Failure Are Known. Where to Start? Focus on the Conditions for Success 22
- 23. Show Your Care About Monitoring the Key Data Results Data data that measures attributes of the product to be delivered. Costs, Times, Quantities, Quality Conditions Data data that measures the attributes of the process that produces the product to be delivered. Capability, Commitment, Collaboration
- 24. Be Prepared to Communicate Through Common Understanding Automotive Engineers Long Ago Defined the Critical Measures for Safe, Effective Engine Operation. 24
- 25. The Basic Automobile Dashboard Automotive Gauge Odometer Clock Fuel Level Speedometer Tachometer Oil Pressure Oil Temperature Water Pressure Water Temperature Voltmeter 25
- 26. What Questions Are We Asking? Automotive Gauge Asks the Question Odometer How far have we gone? Clock How much time has it taken? Fuel Level How far can we go? Speedometer How fast are we going now? Tachometer How intensely is engine working? Oil Pressure Do we have enough lubrication to keep parts working well together? Oil Temperature How smooth are interactions? Water Pressure Do we have enough coolant to keep the engine producing? Water Temperature How effective is the coolant in keeping the engine cool? Voltmeter Is enough energy being applied to the other important systems? 26
- 27. What Measures What? Automotive Gauge Asks the Question To Measure Odometer How far? Deliverables Delivered Clock How long? Duration Fuel Level How much further? Input Units Available Speedometer How fast? Deliverables per Unit of Time Tachometer How intensely? Effort Intensity Oil Pressure Do we have enough lubrication to smooth interactions? Supply of Lubricant to Smooth Interaction Between Components Oil Temperature How smooth are interactions? Ability of Lubricant to smooth Interaction Between Components Water Pressure Do we have enough coolant to keep the engine producing? Supply of Coolant to dissipate excess engine heat Water Temperature How effective is the coolant in keeping the engine cool? Ability of Coolant to dissipate engine heat Voltmeter Is enough energy being applied to the other important systems? Ability to Support other Control and Comfort Systems 27
- 28. Relating to the Real World To Measure Automotive Metric Service Measures Deliverables Delivered Miles Service Level Achieved, Function Point Delivered Duration Hour Hour Input Units Available Gallons Resource Hour Deliverables per Unit of Time Miles Per Hour Earned Value Per Clock Hour Effort Intensity RPM Hours Worked Per Week/Available Hours Supply of Lubricant to Smooth Interaction Between Components PSI Stakeholder Interaction Satisfaction Ability of Lubricant to Smooth Interaction Between Components Degrees Number of Open Issues from Stakeholder Interactions Supply of Coolant to dissipate excess engine heat PSI Duration to Close Issues Ability of Coolant to dissipate engine heat Degrees Number of Escalated Issues Ability to Support other Control and Comfort Systems Volts On Time Process Deliverables (Status, Reporting, Training) 28
- 29. The World Is Increasingly Complex. Simplify It. Lead It. 29 Good Luck. Were Counting on You.
View more >
The Sustainability Challenge Is a Leadership . It is courageously ... The Sustainability Challenge Is a Leadership Challenge 3 ... The sustainability challenge is a leadership challenge.
2003 Operations Workshop - Welcome to the Response rdept.cgaux.org/documents/Workshop archives/2003 Ops Workshop...2003 Operations Workshop ... “followership”. Followership Leadership While good leadership is very important to mission success, so is good followership.
Servant Leadership, Followership, and Organizational ... feb_2015)_sltp... · Servant Leadership, Followership,…
Introducing Followership into the Leadership Followership into the Leadership Classroom: An Integrative Approach ... 2005; Hughes, Ginnett Curphy ... leader’s effectiveness is dependent ...
Introduction to Followership - University of Kentucky ... to to Followership . Barbara Kellerman is the James MacGregor Burns Lecturer In Public Leadership at Harvard ... This workshop is based on her book ...
Followership to Leadership L- Guide.pdf · NFES 2991 L-280 Followership to Leadership Instructor Guide…
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LEADERSHIP STYLE leadership style; second, Exemplary style of followership is most preferred ... Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, INDIA
LEADERSHIP AND FOLLOWERSHIP. DISCUSSION CONTENTS Leadership and Followership as a subject, and a relationship Definitions and awareness Basic Types.
Exploring Followership in a Public Setting: Is It a Missing Link Between Participative Leadership and Organizational Performance?
Leadership. What is Leadership? Leadership and Followership Leadership – the process of guiding and directing the behavior of people in the work environment.
Leadership and Followership - SAGE Pub and Followership ... leadership also requires being a good team member and ... ates a sense of understanding of leadership and the ...