kite properties. kite competition! it’s the annual kite building competition and this year...
• It’s the annual kite building competition and this year you’re going to take home first prize! Now your kite not only needs to look good but also be geometrically correct! The Judges use to be math teachers so they are going to look to make sure your kite has all the properties it should.
What is a Kite?
• A kite is a quadrilateral with two pairs of distinct congruent consecutive sides
Let’s make a kite to explore with
• On patty paper, draw two connected segments of different lengths, as shown. Fold through the endpoints and trace the two segments on the back of the patty paper.
What are some properties of a kite?
• Explore with your kite, write down in your notebook any conjectures you come up with.
Kite Angles Conjecture
• The _________ angles of a kite are _________
Kite Diagonals Conjecture
• The diagonals of a kite are _____________
Kite Diagonal Bisector Conjecture
• The diagonals connecting the vertex angles of a kite is the _____________ of the other diagonal.
Kite Angle Bisector Conjecture
• The _________ angles of a kite are __________ by the ___________.
Let’s prove these conjectures
• Pick a conjecture and write a paragraph proof or make a flowchart proof.
Kite Angles Conjecture Proof
The non vertex angles of a kite are congruent
Kite Diagonals Conjecture Proof
The diagonals of a kite are perpendicular
Kite Diagonal Bisector Conjecture Proof
The diagonals connecting the vertex angles of a kite is the bisector of the other diagonal
Kite Angle Bisector Conjecture Proof
The vertex angles of a kite are bisected by a diagonal
Let’s build our kites
• Ok, now that you know the properties of a kite you need to make a blue print of what your kite is going to look like. Design on your piece of paper the kite you would build. Remember it has to be geometrically correct!