Page 1: June T3

SEMINOLE COUNTY TRIATHLETES!

JUNE 2014! PAGE 1

SCT shines in Tomoka

Page 2: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 2

Couch to Sprint Triathlon Group ready to take on Clermont

It seems like months ago for the first meeting of the Couch to 5K/Sprint Triathlon Group. Many miles have been logged getting ready for their first triathlon on Saturday June 7th in Clermont. If you are free, come out and cheer on the athletes.

Training Plans available now on Addaero.com

Training for IMFL? Augusta 70.3? Maybe Louisville? Don’t forget SCT can provide you with a training plan to meet your needs.

Page 3: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 3

Rudy Project (e-rudy,com) is one of the premiere sunglasses and helmet manufacturers in the country. They are the official helmet of both USAT and IRONMAN. We are pleased to announce our three year sponsorship with Rudy Project. SCT members will receive a special discount code earning them 35% off retail items, and an additional 10% off sale items. This code can be used in tandem with some of their special offers.

SCT signs a three year sponsorship agreement with Rudy Project.

Town Hall Meeting with Pro Triathlete Sara McLarty

Sara McLarty is known as one of the fastest swimmers in the pro circuit. She was a member of the 2011 Pan American Games team and this year placed in the top 5 at both St. Anthony’s and 5150 New Orleans. Join us June 16th, at 7:30pm for a very special evening. Sylvan Lake Park, 845 Lake Markham Road, Lake Mary, FL.

Page 4: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 4

“You are a Triathlete!” Those four words have never been said to me before. But I heard them twice this day; my first triathlon, the Tomoka Sprint Tri in Ormond. I woke up early that morning and said to myself, “Today is the day. Today IS the day”. I had been training for 5 months for this day, for this moment in time so I was pretty sure I was ready for the challenge. All my gear was packed and I was ready to hit the road. I carpooled up to Ormond with Cathy Lowe and Chrissy Matheney. We go over last minute details and discuss in length the challenges that lay ahead and the causeway bridge we would have to cross four times this day. We all agreed that it was cruel punishment to make us cross it that many times.

We arrive very early so are able to make our way through check-in and body marking with no lines. The volunteers at check in are very helpful as they gave us a quick run thru of the pre-race events. As we head towards transition to get setup, we are greeted by Coach David and Coach Cory; two friendly faces to calm the nerves as the stress level is starting to build. We pose for a few pictures and continue on.

The transition area is located under the dreaded bridge with ample room for all the athlete’s bikes and gear. I carefully lay out my gear as I had practiced so many times in my garage. Shoes go here, hat goes there, race belt, gels, sunglasses, powder and body glide in and on the shoes, sock rolled up, helmet on the bike. Check, check and check. I am racked and ready.

“You are a Triathlete!”Race Recap: by Tom Hedman

continued page 5

Page 5: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 5

I head out to where the SCT Clubhouse is setup; coolers, tables, chairs, bike repair gear, anything you could possibly need were already there and setup by Coach David and Shannon Houle. The other SCT athletes are making their way to the Clubhouse as well. The buzz and excitement is building, the crowd is growing and the stress level is rising. As I was looking around, taking it all in, Billy Price asked me how I was feeling. “Getting a little nervous” I replied. Let’s go for a little swim he says. Huh? Yeah it will calm your nerves. So Billy, Tony Dee and myself head towards the water and jump in for a quick 5 minute “get acquainted with the water” swim. There was a heavy current going north and the water felt warm, much warmer than the 68-72 degree temp the race director’s email earlier in the week had suggested. Great idea Billy; that swim did the trick and the nerves are calmed. The pre-race events are continuing with a traditional Native American Hoop Dance, performed by members of a local Native American tribe. A Native American prayer is said and then it is time. The race start is approaching fast and the athletes are all making their way down to the water.

The swim start is in 5 waves, 2 minutes apart. I am in wave 3. The race announcer is making the last minute announcements, and then the countdown begins 10, 9, 8…. 3, 2, 1. The Musket fires and they’re off, Wave 1 is in the water. Wave 2 goes 2 minutes later and it is now my turn. I say my last good lucks to the athletes around me

and wait for the Musket to fire. 3, 2, 1… Bang. It’s GO time!!

I hit start on my Garmin and I’m in the water headed toward the first buoy. Fighting the current pushing me right I approach the buoy for the first right turn. My wave had about 70 athletes in it but I didn’t experience the “barroom brawl” effect that I had been warned about; however there was a small traffic jam at the turn. Once around the buoy, the current took over and the field spread out pretty quick. My HR is starting to pick up and I fight to stay focused on my stroke mechanics. I keep hearing Coach Cory in my head, “Keep your stroke nice and long, stay relaxed and trust the rotation”. That seems to work but that second buoy surely did not seem like it was getting any closer, or at least not as fast as I thought it should. I finally get there, make the turn and start on the third leg of the swim. I am now swimming into the current and beginning to tire. “Stay relaxed”; Yes Coach I’m trying but it’s not working this time. I make the left turn at the third and final buoy and head toward the swim exit. I wait until I can feel the bottom with my hands and stand up.I made it; I’m out of the water. Swim…. Done!!

continued page 6

Page 6: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 6

Heading into T1 and I am greeted by a cheering Shannon. I see Jennifer Newton as she is getting ready to get on the bike for her relay team. “You are looking good, looking strong”, she says. “Thanks… I don’t feel like it”, I reply. We both chuckle as I jog past her to get to my bike stall.

T1 goes very smooth, my setup is perfect and I’m out of T1 in no time. I ride by more SCT volunteers, Coach David and Katy Bauder, as I am entering the bike course and on to the first of 4 bridge crossings.

I’m up and over the bridge pretty quick, that wasn’t that bad I thought. Make the sharp right turn at the bottom and now it is time to get busy; time to take advantage of my strength. I settle in to my aero bars and start churning out the RPM’s. The bike course is wide open; flat and fast. The field is spread out nice so no congestion at any of the turns. Traffic is very light on the roads so no issues there as well. My HR is pretty high now and my legs are beginning to burn. “Suck It Up” I yell at one point and, as Coach David says, keep “tapping out the cadence”. The return leg down Old Dixie Hwy and Beach Street is very scenic and shaded nicely. I catch a glimpse of the bridge through the trees and know I am almost done on the bike but have to get over that bridge first. I make the sharp left hand turn and BAM, there she is. I try to stand up and power up the hill, but just can’t, legs are losing their power. I sit down, shift down to the small chainring and get over the top as fast as I can. I’m breathing pretty heavy now but manage to recover a bit on the downhill. Wow, more SCT volunteers cheering as I make the turn towards T2. I dismount and enter T2.

Bike…. Done!!

T2 goes as smooth as T1 did and I’m on the Run course headed toward that bridge again. I see Jill Bowers and she gives me a High 5. “You got this”, she says. I’m not convinced yet but say thanks just the same. My wife is there as well cheering me on.

The run is my weakest event; I am slow but steady. I make my way up the bridge; a little running, a little walking and I’m now over the top. I head down and make the turn under the bridge to the out and back segment of the run course. I’m pretty much struggling now and trying to keep my HR out of Z4. Running for a while and then about 30 seconds of walking seems to be doing the trick. The highlight of the day was seeing all the SCT athletes on the run course, fist bumping and high 5-ing as we pass each other; everyone giving each other encouragement and support along the way. What an awesome sight.

continued page 7

Page 7: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 7

I make my way under the bridge with about .5 mile to go and head up the bridge one last time. I’m struggling to keep my running pace going and I see Becky Quinn coming towards me, she looks at me and says “You are a Triathlete!” I smile and I think I gave a short “Yahoo” and keep pushing. She is back tracking the run course looking for Brian Quinn who was competing in his first Tri as well.

I’m over the top for the last time and start picking up my pace on the downhill. I’m close now; I can hear the race announcer in the distance. I look down over the bridge and see the finish line; almost there. I make the turn off the bridge onto the short straight shot to the finish line. There it is. Sue Jenik flies by me, yelling “Come on, Tom!” I’m running faster now, getting close… closer… closer…. Run.… Done!! First Triathlon…. DONE!!!

SCT had a tremendous turnout, both in athletes competing and members volunteering. Congratulations to everyone who competed, especially to those who took the podium in their division; Deanna Abdin, Sharon Dannel, Tony Dee, Billy Price, Becky Quinn, Jeff Ritchey and the Relay Team of Jennifer Kephart, Jennifer Newton, and Nigel Prince. A special congrats goes out to Gary Laxton and Brian Quinn who competed in and finished their first triathlon in addition to myself. An athlete couldn’t ask for a better, more supportive Club to be a member of. Thank you to everyone.

Heading back to the SCT Clubhouse after the podium ceremonies, I hear those four words again, this time from Billy. “You are a Triathlete!” Yes I am. YES I am. What a feeling it is!!!

Page 8: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 8

Age Group:50-54

Favorite local restaurant: Polonia Polish Restaurant

When not training, I enjoy:golfing and spending time with my sons, Tyler and Jacob

Before I became a triathlete I was: in the Army.

Who or what inspired you to start triathlons? Retired from the Army in 2010 and moved to Lake Mary. Joined Brian NeSmith’s beginner Tri group and did a sprint in October 2010.

My first triathlon: Clermont October 2010 Sprint.

Pre and/or Post event ritual: carb load before followed by a big, fat, juicy, bacon cheeseburger

Favorite event/tri: Augusta 70.3

Favorite segment (swim, bike or run): bike.

PR/Best race (or any split time): I’ve only done 2 Triathlons. So Augusta 70.3 with a finish of 5:45

This year's athletic goal: one and done IMFL and improve my Augusta time.

Can’t race without: air in my tires

My Most embarrassing or disastrous moment: Can’t think of one in a triathlon, but my first training ride I did on a mountain bike and Shannon Houle had to explain to me what a road bike was.

My equipment: bottom of the line Trek road bike and Brooks running shoes.

Equipment wish list: one and done. don’t need anything else.

Best advice: believe.

Favorite Thing(s) About SCT: Great group of athletes who truly care about each other. Never quit, nobody left behind attitude.

KEVIN FERRICK

Page 9: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 9

Member since: day oneAge Group:30-34Occupation: SalesFavorite local restaurant: Dandelion CafeWhen not training, I enjoy:crossing items off my bucket list and acting like a goofball with friendsBefore I became a triathlete I was: really, really shyWho or what inspired you to start triathlons? While living in Colorado I was inspired by all of the outdoor activities from skiing to hiking and rafting. When my company transferred me back to Florida I decided it was time to step outside my comfort zone. Training for a triathlon sounded like a challenge so I joined a running club and started moving. Very slowly. My first triathlon: Morton Plant Mease Sprint—Clearwater, FL. As soon as I got out of the water I thought to myself, “What did I get myself into?!” Pre and/or Post event ritual: Pre--I set about 10 alarm clocks staggered at different times to make sure I don’t oversleep! Post--A long, hot shower! Best feeling ever after a race. Favorite event/tri: Grandfather Mountain Marathon in Boone, NC. It’s a beautiful course through the mountains where I grew up. The last quarter mile is around a track at the Highland Games where Scotsmen cheer for you to cross the finish line.Favorite segment (swim, bike or run): run.PR/Best race (or any split time): Marathon 3:44, Half 1:43, and I PR’d at Tomoka Tri this yearThis year's athletic goal: cross the finish line at Florida Ironman, qualify for Boston Can’t race without: SunglassesMy Most embarrassing or disastrous moment: I think people were more embarrassed to ride with me when I first started cycling. My first bike attracted a lot of attention for all the wrong reasons. If you didn’t catch a glimpse of the relic before the ride then chances are you heard it because the cassette squeaked incessantly. Don’t even get me started on clipping out—that’s still a wildcard on group rides…My equipment: Cervelo P2, Adidas Boost sneakers, Garmin 910xt, prescription goggles Equipment wish list: A speedometer for my bike. Never been much of gear junkie—if it’s not broken don’t fix it. Best advice: You can, and you will. End of story.Favorite Thing(s) About SCT: Where to begin! There are no words to express my gratitude for this club. SCT’s camaraderie motivated my mom to lace up a pair of sneakers and run (something I, despite lots of pushing, never accomplished). She became a member of the Couch to 5k program where I watched her do something I don’t think she ever thought she’d accomplish—cross her first finish line. Some may join this club to become a stronger athlete, but along the way you’ll become a better version of yourself too.

DEANNA ABDIN

Page 10: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 10

Exclusive Membership has privileges...

15% off 10% off See Member’s Section of details

10% off 10% off 10% off

Page 11: June T3

JUNE 2014! PAGE 11

SCT IN ACTION