How to communicate effectively with your members
Post on 22-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation on creating an effective communications plan for land trusts and small nonprofits. Presented at the Southeastern Massachusetts Land Trust Convocation on February 1, 2014.
- 1. HOW TO COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY WITH YOUR MEMBERS ALICIA PIMENTAL COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH MANAGER BUZZARDS BAY COALITION SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS LAND TRUST CONVOCATION SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2014
- 2. HOW TO CREATE YOUR COMMUNICATIONS PLAN GOALS AUDIENCE MESSAGE TACTICS Why are you communicating? Who do you want to talk to? What are you going to say? How are you going to say it? Which tools will you use to tell people what you want to say?
- 3. SHIFTING FOCUS
- 4. SHIFTING FOCUS What will people remember? What do you want people to know? What do you want people to do?
- 5. GOALS WHY ARE YOU COMMUNICATING? Set SMART goals that put you on a path toward success. A goal is the end, not the means. Without clear goals that everyone agrees on, conflict can arise.
- 6. SETTING SMART GOALS
- 7. EXAMPLES OF SMART GOALS To recruit and retain 20 new quality volunteers through existing relationships with current staff, board members, and volunteers. To grow our membership by 200 people by the end of 2014. To get more members. To raise awareness of our land trust. To increase awareness of our land trusts publicly accessible protected properties among outdoor enthusiasts with children under age 13. To find more volunteers.
- 8. AUDIENCE WHO DO YOU WANT TO TALK TO?
- 9. THE PUBLIC
- 10. DEFINING YOUR AUDIENCE Elementary school students Retirees Mothers of children under age 18 Voters Local elected officials Outdoor enthusiasts Land owners
- 11. CREATE A PERSONA Create a character that embodies your audience. Why might he/she resist your message? Who is this person? What is he/she interested in? What does he/she value?
- 12. EXAMPLE OF A PERSONA
- 13. MESSAGE WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO SAY? HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SAY IT?
- 14. WHAT WILL PEOPLE REMEMBER? OR
- 15. MESSAGE PYRAMID Brain Traffic: Content Strategy 101
- 16. EFFECTIVE MESSAGE TECHNIQUES TELL A STORY Hook your audience on an ongoing narrative about your mission. SOLVE A PROBLEM Offer a solution to your audiences wants and needs. ANSWER A QUESTION Provide information your audience is seeking. USE TESTIMONALS Find supporters who are part of your target audience.
- 17. TALK ABOUT HEALTH AND SAFETY FIRST Show how land conservation keeps your community safe from natural threats. The Language of Conservation 2013 Talk about water first and foremost. Connect land conservation to public health.
- 18. TIE IN PEOPLES VALUES Tap into peoples pride of place. The Language of Conservation 2013 Emphasize benefits to people as the best reason to conserve land over protecting nature for its own sake. Stress the importance of protecting natural areas to help children spend more time outdoors. Talk about protecting land and water for future generations. Use inclusive language such as we and our.
- 19. USE WORDS THAT WORK Open space Natural areas Recreation Family activities Watershed Upstream and downstream Biodiversity Fish and wildlife Sprawl Poorly planned growth The Language of Conservation 2013 Water Words That Work LLC
- 20. USE COMPELLING IMAGERY (Not like these.)
- 21. SHOW FACES
- 22. SHOW BEHAVIORS
- 23. TACTICS WHICH TOOLS WILL YOU USE?
- 24. MANY OPTIONS
- 25. Keep your content updated and fresh. Be consistent. Only take on what you have time to commit to. Include lots of great photos. USE THE BEST CHANNELS FOR YOUR MESSAGE AND AUDIENCE
- 26. ALWAYS KEEP IN MIND What will people remember? What do you want people to know? What do you want people to do?
- 27. QUESTIONS? Alicia Pimental Communications and Outreach Manager Buzzards Bay Coalition (508) 999-6363 x226 firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @aliciapimental
View more >
?· Web viewRead, write and communicate effectively. Utilize technologies appropriately and effectively.…
Work with others. CHCORG202C This unit highlights ways to plan your work, work effectively in a team, communicate with team members and clients more effectively.
Effectively Communicate PVAAS with your Board and Community Pennsylvania Value-Added Assessment System (PVAAS): Effectively Communicate PVAAS with your.
How to Effectively Communicate with your P ?· How to Effectively Communicate with your Partner Expressing…
Curve Fitting Discovering Relationships. Purpose of Curve Fitting Effectively communicate (describe) information Effectively communicate (describe) information.