f2f: past continuous
of 13 /13
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Past Continuous Tense
- 2. Form of Past Continuous Tense: Positive Sentence books. reading was He, She, It happily. dancing were You, We, They to music. listening was I modifier. main verb (V +ing ) + BE + Subject +
- 3. Form of Past Continuous Tense: Negative Sentence wasn't books. reading not was He, She, It weren't happily. dancing not were You, We, They wasn't to music. listening not was I modifier. main verb (V +ing ) + NOT + BE + Subject +
- 4. Form of Past Continuous Tense: Yes-No Question lazy? being he, she, it Was Worlds Cup last night? watching you, we, they Were to music? listening I Was modifier ? main verb (V +ing ) + Subject + BE +
- 5. Form of Past Continuous Tense: Wh-Question at 11 oclock last night? doing he, she, it was Who Worlds Cup last night? watching you, we, they were Where to when the phone rang? talking I was Who modifier ? main verb (V+ing) + Subject + BE + Question word
- 6. Use of Past Continuous Tense 1. We use the past continuous
to say that an action was in progress at a specific time in the
past. The action had already started at this time, but had not
- At 5pm yesterday, it was raining .
- I was having dinner at 6pm last night.
- Last night at 11 PM , my sister and I (we) were watching TV.
- At midnight , we were still driving through the desert.
- What were you doing at midnight last night?
- 7. Use of Past Continuous Tense 2. We use the past continuous
to say that an action was in progress at every moment during a
period of time.
- Yesterday she was sitting at her desk at work all day .
- You were working all day yesterday.
- Yesterday they were not playing football at 9am .
- What were you doing at 10pm last night?
- Jimmy was working at 10pm last night.
- 8. Use of Past Continuous Tense 3. We use the past continuous
together with the past simple. The past continuous refers to a
"longer" or "background" action that was in progress to indicate
that a longer action in the past was interrupted; The past simple
refers to a shorter action that interrupted the longer action, or
happened in the middle of it.
- Johns daughter was sleeping when he called her at 8pm.
- 9. Jimmy was taking a bath when the phone rang . A: What were you doing when you broke your leg? B: I was snowboarding .
- 10. Use of Past Continuous Tense 4. We use the past continuous
to say that an action in the past was temporary .
- Sarah was waiting for her friend for 20 minutes yesterday.
- You were working in the Sales Department last month .
- They were living in Paris for a year.
- 11. Past Continuous Tense & Past Simple Tense
- We often use the past continuous tense with the simple past tense. We use the past continuous tense to express a long action .
- And we use the past simple tense to express a short action that happens in the middle of the long action .
- 12. Past Continuous Tense & Past Simple Tense I was watching TV when Jim knocked the door. Long action = (watching TV), expressed with past continuous tense Short action = (knocked), expressed with simple past tense
- 13. when + short action (past simple tense) while + long action (past continuous tense) I was watching TV when Jim knocked the door . Jim knocked the door , I was watching TV While I was watching TV while Jim knocked the door I was watching TV , Jim knocked the door When Jim knocked the door. when I was watching TV