entertainment, smart toys & the internet of things
Click here to load reader
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTalk given in Helsinki at CartoonDigital Seminar on May 6th 2014. http://www.cartoon-media.eu/cartoon-masters/cartoon-digital/programme-7.htm?tab=1
- Entertainment, smart toys & the internet of things. Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino @iotwatch
- CEO of Tinker London 2007-2010 Good Night Lamp 2012- designswarm 2011-
- What is #iot? When we embed connectivity in everyday objects When those objects are designed with an understanding of the affordances of the web.
- Hardware (open/closed) Connectivity (wi, zigbee/radio, GSM) Battery life Standards Privacy Security What things?
- What things? Smart Cities Smart Homes Wearables Other
- Flying Saucers in 1957
- Frigidaires future kitchen in 1956
- Honeywells Kitchen Computer in 1969
- Dick Tracys watch in1946
- #iot is everywhere!
- Evolving industry Human-Computer Interaction Ubiquitous computing / ubicomp blogjects Smarter Planet (IBM) Internet of Everything (Cisco) Industrial Internet (GE) Internet of things Wearables Connected products ..
- Extending your screen-based content in the real world.
- Tracking activity early on
- Using toys to play on screens
- Rewarding you for on screen play
- Extending play online
- Control the screen-based interaction easily Push updates easily Dependant on mobile connectivity Dependant on screen-based ux Pros Cons
- Extending your cloud-based content in the real world.
- Tracking physical activity
- Playing remotely
- Good Night Lamp
- Playing with other senses
- Content on demand & timed
- Works as a product even when the data doesnt work. Dependant on the structure of your data & APIs Pros Cons
- Smart vs connected. designswarm.com/blog
- How to do this? Assume a minimum investment of 5K to develop a crowdfunding worth prototype. Assume a minimum of 200K for industrialisation. Assume 3 years to really test the market. Decide what defines the success of a product. PR or sales.
- The good news Incubators & accelerators are growing in this space. (Nike & TechStars, BoltBoston, Highway1, Haxlr8r) Send a team to one of them. Itll be cheaper than running it yourself. Crowdfunding is a good way to test the water with a big brand.
- Its early days.
- Careful about the data though!
- Education tools are increasing expectations
- Kiitos. Thank you. Merci. Grazie. @iotwatch @GNLteam @ConnectedIOT Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino email@example.com