Engaging Students In College Writing Courses
out of 8
Post on 15-Jan-2015
DESCRIPTIONCollege Writing Assignments
- 1. Entertaining Ideas In Composition By Crystal Barletta
- 2. The Text as the Engager
- Using the Composition Anthology Literature: Reading and Writing the Human Experience as a basis for the reading material.
- The readings have been selected to interest, excite, and get a response from students in Composition.
- 3. Selected Readings
- Young Goodman Brown
- Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864)
- Good Country People
- Flannery OConner (1903-1964)
- The Man Who Was Almost a Man
- Richard Wright (1908-1960)
- A Dolls House
- Henrik Ibsen (1828-1906)
- 4. Proposed Assignments
- Assignment #1 : Young Goodman Brown
- Argue for or against the proposition that what Young Goodman Brown experienced actually occurred.
- Assignment #2: Good Country People
- Write a persuasive essay in which you convince the reader that you are someone other than yourself and have ulterior motives which have not been disclosed. Use a persuasive tactic such as innocence or experience to persuade the reader as Manely Pointer persuaded Hulga.
- Assignment #3: The Man Who Was Almost a Man
- Consider whether Dave proved his manhood by leaving. What does it mean to be a man? Write an essay in which you examine what it means to be a man. Choose someone from history (1800-2004) who either took responsibility when they made a mistake or someone who rebelled by leaving.
- Assignment #4: A Dolls House
- Write an essay in which you compare the writing styles of Wright and Ibsen (other than the fact that the first is a narrative and the later is a play). Does the language, tone, and the fact that although both Dave and Nora rebel by leaving the situation, as well as the setting and gender difference justify ones leaving over the other?
- 7. Pedagogy
- Theorists that reflect my pedagogy:
- Patricia Bizzell
- Kenneth Bruffee
- David Bartholomae and Anthony Petrosky
- Peter Elbow
- Walter J. Ong
- Rebecca Powell
- 8. Technology
- Blackboard: http://blackboard.fau.edu
- Weekly online journals
- Open discussion groups
- Digital Drop Box
View more >
Engaging Students in Online Courses Susan Mircovich Kenai Peninsula College University of Alaska Anchorage firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engaging Students and Moving Past Labels Through a Writing Resiliency Project College of Education and Human Development.
Making Science Thinking Visible by Engaging Students in Speaking and Writing Arthur Beauchamp Making Science Thinking Visible by Engaging Students in Speaking.
Engaging Writers and Writing: Designing EAP Writing Courses Christine B. Feak... in spite of a lot of challenges.
BARD HIGH SCHOOL EARLY COLLEGE ENGAGING ? Page 1 of 10 BARD HIGH SCHOOL EARLY COLLEGE ENGAGING STUDENTS