Embed Size (px)
ByM. SAI MOUNIKA
MALLA REDDY ENGINEERING COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
CONTENTS • INTRODUCTION• KITE –GEN• NEED FOR ENERGY KITE• COMPONENTS• KEY TECHNOLOGY• LIFTING MECHANISM• PRINCIPLE• WORKING• YO-YO CONFIGURATION• WIND MILL v/s ENERGY KITES• ADVANTAGES• DISADVANTAGES• FUTURE SCOPE• CONCLUSION
ENERGY KITE 3
• Developed in Italy that takes power from high altitude winds.
• This was originally conceived by Italian researcher Massimo Ippolitoe
•Kite-Gen organisation was developed in Italy for adopting green energy concept.
•The simple idea of kite waving in the air lead to this technology
•Kite – Gen initiated its first project called “LADDER MILL” that could generate 50Kw of power.
ENERGY KITE 4
• The first design of KITEGEN is a small scale prototype.
• The electric actuators which hold the kite lines are fixed with respect to the ground
ENERGY KITE 5
NEED FOR ENERGY KITE
Provides 80% of electricity
Renewable energy source
Less Area required
ENERGY KITE 6
COMPONENTS IN ENERGY KITE
A. POWER RINGB. DYNEEMAC. COMPASSD. STEME. POWERED JOINTSF. GROUND STRUCTUREG. ROTATING ENGINEH. POWER DRUMI. CONTROL PULLEYSJ. ACTUATORS
ENERGY KITE 7
The core is the system of automatic control of the kite flight, called KSU (Kite Steering Unit):
ENERGY KITE 8
ENERGY KITE 9
ENERGY KITE 10
• The KSU is the unit that allows to automatically piloting a power kite.
• The kite steering unit, which includes the electric drives, the drums, and all of the hardware needed to control a single kite
•The KiteGen project has designed and simulated a small-scale prototype ,The two kite lines are rolled around two drums and linked to two electric drives, which are fixed to the ground.
•Energy is collected when the wind force on the kite unrolls the lines, and the electric drives act as generators due to the rotation of the drums.
ENERGY KITE 11
AIR BOURNE MECHANISM
ENERGY KITE 12
ENERGY KITE 13
WIND MILL V/S ENERGY KITEWIND MILL ENERGY KITE
1 Kw ~ 3.5m Motor 1Kw ~ 10sq.m Kite
$ 12,000 $ 5,000
• POLLUTION EFFECTS
•VISUAL POLLUTION•NOISE POLLUTION
• NO POLLUTION• EFFECTIVELY SILENT
ENERGY KITE 14
• ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS
• HEIGHT RANGE
MOST OF THE BIRDS GET KILLED
LESS LIKELY TO KILL
LIMITED HEIGHT (100 ft) CAN FLY ABOVE 500 ft
ENERGY KITE 15
• EASY TO INSTALL
• COST EFFECTIVE
• HIGH POWER WITH LOW INPUT
• RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCE
ENERGY KITE 16
• REQUIRES CONTINUOUS MONITRING
•DEPENDS ON WIND COMPLETELY
ENERGY KITE 17
• Wind Power from Kites is a potential renewable energy technology
• High altitude wind power using tethered ‐wind turbine devices has the potential to open up a new wind resource in areas that are not served by conventional turbines.
ENERGY KITE 18