Post on 20-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. DouglasMacArthur Seung-Ho Choi & Brian Lee
2. Background History
- Born in Little Rock, AK to Arthur and Mary MacArthur.
- Graduated from West Point in 1903 1 stin 930 student class.
- Commanded 42 nddivision in WWI and promoted to brigadier general.
- He retired from US Army in 1937.
3. Beginning of WWII
- Summer of 1941, MacArthur was recalled to active duty to head the US military forces in the Far East.
- He was given control as the Supreme Commander of the Philippine army.
- His headquarters during the Philippines Campaign was on the island fortress of Corregidor.
4. 5. MacArthurs Retreat
- Japanese Army invaded the Philippine and held three air bases in Luzon.
- MacArthur ordered retreat to Bataan peninsula.
- He was ordered to leave Bataan and go to Australia.
6. After the Retreat
- MacArthur and Admiral Nimitz decided to establish and protect communication line throughout South Pacific.
- He engaged the enemy for 8 months in 10 major battles after landing in Guadalcanal.
- By Spring of 1944, MacArthur surrounded the Japanese troops in New Guinea.
7. 8. MacArthurs Counterattack
- MacArthur was given permission to recapture the Philippines.
- On October 20, 1944, MacArthurs forces invaded Leyte Island in the Philippines.
- On January of 1945, MacArthur sent troops to Luzon and captured it in March.
9. Assault on Japan
- MacArthur set his eyes on Okinawa, Japan, and sent 60,000 troops to the city of Haguushi.
- MacArthur faced heavy opposition when he reached Shuri and repelled counterattack.
- Capture of Okinawa cost the Americans 49,000 casualties.
10. 11. Surrender of Japan
- In January of 1945, MacArthur was promoted to five star general.
- On August 6 thand 9 th , two atomic bombs were released in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
- On September 2, 1945, MacArthur accepted Japans surrender.
12. Occupation of Japan
- MacArthur exonerated Emperor Showa and the imperial family.
- He helped rebuild the nation and encouraged democratic reforms.
- MacArthur was heavily criticized by both Japanese and Americans.
13. 14. After WWII
- MacArthur was appointed as head of the Allied occupation of Japan.
- He fought in Korean War in 1950 as a commander of the UN forces.
- MacArthur led campaign against Harry Truman and the Democratic Party.
- He died in the Water Reed Hospital, Washington, on April 5 th , 1964.