developing your business online
Post on 14-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPart of the Enterprise Conference 2008 - The University of Winchester
- 1. Developing Your BusinessOnline Steven Northam The University of Winchester Enterprise Conference 2008
2. What are we going to do?
- Provide a rough guide to online business and how to get your own business online(not too technical I hope!)
- 55mins session I will ramble on for 35-40mins
- Feel free to shout out and ask questions as we go!
- 15mins at the end for a chat/questions etc
- Feedback forms
3. Online Business
- So much could be said on this
- Still big business! .com boom and bust is long gone Web 2.0 driving new ideas and business forward
- Currently a good time for new and unique start-ups still room for new business models
4. Advantages & Disadvantages
- Low start-up cost
- Relatively simple
- Run business from anywhere
- Low entry barriers competition
- Business models easily copied (YouTube, Facebook)
5. Does my business fit online?
- Irrespective of your business and its market, a Web presence is almost always a good thing!
- Some businesses fit easier than others
- Your examples? Ideas?
6. How do I get my business online?
- 4 main steps to getting your business online..
- Domain Names
- Web Hosting
- Website Development
- Running a Website
- Finally how to make it a success ?
7. Domain Names
- www. I Am A Domain Name .co.uk
- Check domain name before even considering registering with Companies House
- Ensure you register the Domain Name you want (if its available!)
- Consider registering .com, .co.uk, .net and alike too!
8. How? Where? Costs?
- Check to see if you Domain Name is free
- Multitude of providers for Domain Name registration and management, a couple..
- Roughly 3 per year for.co.uk
- Domain Names, others can vary,
- .com is expensive.
9. Web Design and Development
- Building your website massive topic!
- Make sure its done correctly and its done well
- Crap looking sites reflect on your business
- Many different styles and approaches possible
10. How? Where? Costs?
- Can be costly but worth the money if the site is impressive, dont cut corners
- I can make a webpage for you withDreamweaver watch out!
- Hugely variable costing, large number of Web Design Companies available to pick from
- Research and consulthonestexperts
11. Web Hosting
- The place your website lives so it is available online for the world to see and use
- Type of host you require depends on size of site, visitor numbers and the services you want to run
- Shared hosting is very common for small sites
SN Technologies Limited Web Servers 12. How? Where? Costs?
- Very wide range of providers available
- Wide range of costs, packages, deals etc
- If inexperienced opt for a package including consultation and support (more expensive)
- Talk to an expert to get an idea of your needs
- Huge range of options for services you can run on your website
- E-commerce systems
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Community Systems
- Multimedia, Video, Photo sharing/uploads
14. Other considerations
- Legal Data Protection, Trading Laws
- Global Market
- Time management
- Diversification Scope
- Exit Strategy
15. Running the website
- Its quite simple really
- Being up to date is a priority
- Links to other systems e-commerce
- Larger the site gets the more people required to run it
16. Security, Backup & Reliability
- Important considerations often overlooked
- Security online money transactions
- Disasters often happen problems can be minimised
- Backups & Mirrors
- Reliability Slow website? Not available? Down time?
- Costs get very high both hardware and running costs
- Expert management required
- Lots of techy things which I cant cover today!
When you out grow your host.. SN Technologies Limited Live Server Mirrors & Development Systems 18. Making it a success
- Thats really up to you..
- Many classical business aspects apply
- Use of new technologies Social Networking, Blogs, Streaming Media, Viral Marketing
- Keep your site up to date
- Make it dynamic rather than static
19. Questions 20. Was this useful ?
- Please complete the feedback forms and leave them with me as you go
- This presentation will be posted on theLearning Network
- Contact me:[email_address]
- Video of this session (and this mornings talk) will be available via my blog site:http://www.stevennortham.me.uk