body language session 1

Download Body language session 1

Post on 18-Nov-2014

103 views

Category:

Documents

0 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Understanding non-verbal communication --body languagemagic facelanguage of legs and feet

TRANSCRIPT

Understanding body language session 1

Beyond words

1

IntroductionHead movement(e.g. nodding)

Closeness(e.g.invading someones space)

Hand movement(e.g. Waving)

Non-verbal communication

Postures(e.g.slouching) Facial expression(e.g.frown)

Eye movement(e.g.winking)

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this session, you will be able to:Develop

understanding of non-verbal

communication;Realise

the importance of body language; how body talks with face.

Illustrate

BODILY SPEAKING According to the social anthropologist, Edward T. Hall, in a normal conversation, less than 35% of the social meanings is actually transmitted by words. So, at least 65% of it is conveyed through the body (nonverbal channel). Communication researcher Mehrabian found only 7% of a messages effect are carried by words; listeners receive the other 93% through non-verbal means.

4

Definitions Body

language is a form of non-verbal communication,

consisting of body pose, gestures, and eye movements. Non-verbal

signals are unconscious parts of our

behaviour. It

is the non-spoken communication that goes on in every face-to-face encounter.

Types of body languagePositive Body Language

Smiling

Looking toward someone

Nodding

Negative Body Language

Crossing arms

Rolling eyes and looking away

Clenching fists

Dos and DontsSmile Dont Have Dont Keep

(universal) cross arms/legs (defensive) eye contact, but dont stare stand too close (personal space) a positive and open attitude

Magic faceCannot

be easily hidden source of non-verbal

Important

informationConveys

variety of emotions

Magic faceHead Eye

movement

movement expressions

Facial Ears Nose Lips

and mouth

Head movementShaking

head

-No in most countries; -Yes in Bulgaria, parts of Greece, Iran

Nodding head - Yes in most countries; - No in Bulgaria, parts of Greece, Iran

Eye movementCentred Looking up Looking down Looking away Rubbing eyes focused thinking guilty bored tiredness

Facial expressions

13

I cant believe it! That is unfair! Happy

Its Sad been a long day. I cant keep my eyes

Angry

I lost my wallet!

Tired

I got an A in Maths!

Confused

I dont know what to do.

Facial expression

surprise anger fear

joy

sorrow

disgust contempt

Ears

Ear cupping Ear rubbing Ear covering

Speak up I dont wish to hear that Stop that noise

NoseNose holding Nose pointing Nose kiss Nose wrinkle Something smells bad Me (Japan) Friendly welcome (Arab) disgust

Lips and mouthLips biting Lips kissing Lips touching with finger Lips wide open angry love be quiet surprise

Lips and mouthMouth clasp Mouth fan Mouth shrug Mouth smile I should not have said that My mouth is hot Disclaimer (western world) pleasure

Language of the Legs and FeetI am very relaxed.

Crossing at the Knee

I I am assertively relaxed. Ankle on Knee

Leg Lock PositionI am slinkily relaxed.

Foot Tapping or Wagging

Bored/nervous

THANKS! AND YOUR thoughts experiences questions

..

24