blood diamonds presentation wav
Post on 16-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Blood Diamonds Blood Diamonds
2. Pictures of Blood Diamonds, Who is Hurt, Where Its Happening, and What Can be Done 3. Conflict diamonds, sometimes called blood diamonds, are diamonds that are sold to fund the unlawful and illegal operations of rebel, military and terrorist groups. http://www.amnestyusa.org 4. Where is it happening?Blood Diamonds are being produced in many areas such as Ghana and Mali 5. Quick facts on Ghana
- 24,339,838 people live in Ghana.
- There are 270,993 men in the army and 263,961 women.
- Ghana was the first country in sub-Saharan Africa to achieve independencefrom colonial domination in 1957.
- The government type is a constitutional democracy.
6. Economy of Ghana
- 50% of GDP. Gold and cocoa production and individual remittances are major sources of foreign exchange. Oil production at Ghana's offshore Jubilee field began in mid-December and is expected to boost economic growth.
7. 8. Quick Facts on Mali
- 13,796,354 is the population of Mali.
- The government type of Mali is a republic.
- Age structure
- 0-14 years: 47.1%
- 15-64 years: 49.9%65 years and over: 3%
9. No one should be harmedin the manufacturing and collection of diamonds 10. 11. rebels grossly abuse human rights, often murdering and enslaving the local populations to mine the diamondshttp://www.stopblooddiamonds.org/ 12. What Can We Do?
- Get Educated about Blood Diamonds and actions such as The Kimberly Process
- The Kimberly Process was established in 2002 tostop the flow of conflict diamonds
- Learn from and Support Websites such as: http://www.stopblooddiamonds.organd http://www.un.org/peace
- Create a website to promote knowledge about blood diamonds