Arts and the Humanities
out of 21
Post on 10-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONWhat is art? How does it fit into the humanities and sciences? Week one presentation for a class, "Survey of the Arts."
- SURVEY OF THE ARTS An Introduction to the Arts and Humanities Laura Loveday
- Art and the Eye of the Beholder Art and Audience Art and Artist Art and Intention The arts strive to weave our experiences into coherent bodies of knowledge and to communicate them to others
- Art within humanities Art is how our ancestors recorded the world around them in a time before cameras We record things the same way today: in how we dress, what music we listen to, the buildings we work and live in, or what we write You can tell what a culture valued by their artwork
- Science vs. Humanities Seeks to describe reality Attempts to create a universal concept Measurable and quantitative Seeks to describe humankinds experience of reality Gives form to emotion More analytical approach
- What would you guess about the person who owns these items?
- Concerns of art Creativity Aesthetic communication Symbols
- Fine art and applied art Fine art is lauded for its aesthetic quality Applied art includes architecture or handicrafts with a decorative purpose
- Arts purpose and function Among arts purposes: 1) Provide a record 2) Give visible or other form to feelings 3) Reveal metaphysical or spiritual truths 4) Help people see the world in new or innovative ways Among arts functions: 1) Enjoyment 2) Political and social commentary 3) Therapy 4) Artifact
- Aesthetic perception and response 1. What is it? 2. How is it put together? 3. How does the work appeal to our senses? 4. What does this work mean?
- 1. What is it? 2. How is it put together? 3. How does the work appeal to our senses? 4. What does this work mean?
- Picasso believed a painting was a sum of destructions
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1f7nHsQMFk 1. What is it? 2. How is it put together? 3. How does the work appeal to our senses? 4. What does this work mean?
- Criticism of art Plato vs. Aristotle Renaissance examined moral worth of art and its relationship to nature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vufba_ZcoR0
- The late 1800s disregarded traditional criticism Today, we evaluate art based through a lens
- Formal criticism considers no external conditions or information Contextual criticism considers related information outside the artwork, such as facts about the artist, social and political conditions, etc. Evaluating art
- Artisanship Is the work well made? Understand the medium and the style Communication Evaluate what the artwork tries to say and if it was worth the effort. Does it offer a profound or unique insight?
- Art brut, or outsider art Idea developed by Jean Dubuffet in the 1940s and Roger Cardinal in 1972 Work created by those outside of mainstream art culture Artists may be self-taught May illustrate extreme mental states, unconventional ideas, or fantasy worlds
View more >
HUMANITIES, LANGUAGES, AND THE ARTS, Associate ?· HUMANITIES, LANGUAGES, AND THE ARTS, Associate in Arts Degree - 2091 Communication, Humanities and the Arts Department . The Humanities, Languages
Arts, Humanities, and General Humanities, and General... · The Arts, Humanities, and General Education…
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS WORKSHEET ?· Arts and Humanities - appreciation of the Humanities and the Arts.…
Liberal Arts Honors The Humanities Arts Honors The Humanities Program ... Humanities graduates have…
Faculty of Arts and Humanities and Continuing Studies ... ?· the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and…
Arts and Humanities - ?· Arts and Humanities will foster the social and ... the use of Bloom’s Taxonomy…
Culture, Arts and Humanities Task Force Juan Luis García Alonso SCOPE OF THE CULTURE, ARTS AND HUMANITIES TF The task of the Culture, Arts and Humanities.
Selected Arts and Humanities Funding Opportunities ?· Selected Arts and Humanities Funding Opportunities…
Chapter 16 Arts and Humanities Efforts in the US Long et al LTER arts... · Arts and Humanities Efforts…
School of Arts and Humanities - Cambridge students ?· School of Arts and Humanities ... scope of the…
College of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Dean ?· College of the Arts, Humanities and Social…
Arts and Humanities - Monroe County Community College 3.1... · Arts and Humanities Definition . ...…
Arts, Business, Education, Humanities, and Social ?· Arts, Business, Education, Humanities, and Social…
College of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Dean of the... · College of the Arts, Humanities…