Arctic Experience & Northern Lights | Travel Brochure
out of 60
Post on 08-Sep-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONDiscover a tantalising collection of autumn and winter breaks including finding out the best places to view the northern lights in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and Canada.
- DISCOVER THE WORLD Winter 2012-13 3 Arctic Experience& The Northern Lights I C E L A N D l S W E D E N l N O R W AY l F I N L A N D l G R E E N L A N D l C A N A D A
- Contents WelcomeThe celestial phenomenon of the northern lights has been much talked about in the media over the past couple of years. So why all this focus now? Interest has been largely sparked by a period of exceptional auroral activity, anticipated to run through 2012-13. This period marks the peak of the 11 year cycle in sun spot activity, which generates the northern lights. Expectations are high that displays will be particularly prevalent over this time. So how do you go about arranging a trip to see the northern lights? When and where is best to go? Having chased the aurora myself for many years, my top tip is to focus on your holiday experience as a whole. Mother Nature is unpredictable and therefore sightings of the northern lights cannot be guaranteed, even in a peak period such as this. All of the carefully researched itineraries in this brochure offer the best locations to potentially see the aurora; whether you choose to cosy-up in a Finnish log cabin, chill out at a cool Icehotel in Sweden, discover Norways spectacular fjords, explore the volcanic wonders of Iceland or tour the Canadian wilderness. By day undertake winter adventures and thrilling activities, and come nightfall, should the northern lights appear then they will be the icing on the cake - or as they say in Iceland, the raisin at the end of the sausage! Since we created our rst inspiring holidays to Iceland and across northern Europe in 1984, weve helped thousands of travellers full their dream of witnessing this incredible phenomenon. Youve come to the northern lights specialists; and I hope that youll nd this brochure inspiring and invaluable in planning your very own Arctic Experience. Clive Stacey Managing Director and co-Founder Introduction Welcome 2 Our Unique Pledge 3-4 5 Things About the Northern Lights 5 Choosing the Right Destination 6-9 Please note: for trip references below 3 nights = 3n Iceland Northern Lights & Blue Lagoon (3n, independent) 10-11 Aurora Nights (3n, self-drive) 12-13 Northern Lights Special (3n, escorted) 14-15 Northern Lights & Volcanoes (4n, escorted) 16-17 Killer Whales & Northern Lights (4n, escorted) 18-19 Aurora Superjeep Challenge (5n, guided self-drive) 20-21 Sweden The Icehotel 22-25 Icehotel Break (3/4n, independent) 26-27 Abisko & the Icehotel (3/4n, independent) 28-29 Wilderness Husky Adventure (3/4n, escorted) 30-31 Exclusive Wilderness Escape (3n, private tour) 32-33 Iceland & the Icehotel (7n, independent) 34-35 Abisko & Autumn Colours (3/4n, escorted) 36-37 Norway In Pursuit of the Aurora (7n, independent) 38-39 Hurtigruten Coastal Voyages (5-11n, voyage) 40-41 Lofoten & Northern Lights (6n, self-drive) 42-43 Troms & Svalbard (6n, independent) 44-45 Norway & Sweden Troms, Abisko & the Icehotel (7n, independent) 46-47 The Great Nordic Odyssey (12n, independent, incl voyage) 48-49 Finland Log Cabins & Igloos (3n, independent) 50-51 Log Cabin Hideaway (3n, independent) 52-53 Greenland Greenland Northern Lights (13n, voyage) 54-55 Canada Polar Bear Kingdom (5n, escorted) 56-57 Yukon Winter Dream (4n, escorted) 58 Northern Lights & Winter Rockies (9n, independent) 59 Paul James Bannerman 2 All our holidays are bound by our Terms & Conditions, which can be found on our website
- 3discover-the-world.co.uk/arctic-experience Talk to the experts 01737 214 257 3 100% Guaranteed: Our Unique Pledge Complete Financial Protection Once you have booked you will enjoy total nancial security thanks to our travel industry bonds and license. All your travel arrangements are protected by our ATOL, ABTA and IATA* licenses and bonds this means your money is safe, no matter what. Consumer Protection All holidays booked by us are covered by very rigorous UK consumer law which protects your rights, wherever in the world you might nd yourself! Your consumer rights are protected by the EU Package Travel Regulations which govern the sale and operation of our holidays. In addition we are members of ABTA and AITO*- both require us to abide to a strict code of conduct. Travel Disruption Charter Our Travel Disruption Charter offers a simple and transparent guarantee - we will do everything possible to rearrange your holiday if your arrangements are impacted by a range of natural events. So should your trip be cancelled or if your outward ights(s) cannot operate within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time, we will make alternative arrangements. If it is not possible to re-arrange your trip, you will receive a refund of the trip cost you have paid to us. When you are on holiday, if it becomes necessary to alter or reroute your itinerary, we will make these arrangements at no additional cost to you. We will even provide you with accommodation and meals if your ight home is cancelled or severely delayed. Such events and circumstances are rarely covered by travel insurance policies. No Surcharge Guarantee Once your booking has been conrmed by us we guarantee that there will be no further increases in the cost of your holiday, regardless of what happens with fuel prices, airline taxes or currency uctuations. No ifs or buts thats our guarantee. Remember, if you choose to book direct you will not be protected by the various bonds and licenses offered by a tour operator. Should the unexpected occur, you will be left out of pocket. At worst you may end up stranded in your holiday destination. Whats more, contrary to popular belief it is not more expensive to book through a tour operator. By booking your travel arrangements as a complete package you will benet from the good rates we secure with our suppliers as well as the safeguarded allocations they give us. Visit discover-the-world.co.uk/ unique-pledge for further details, terms and conditions. *ATOL Air Travel Organisers License (caa.com) / IATA International Air Transport Association (iata.co.uk) / AITO Association of Independent Tour Operators (aito.co.uk) / ABTA The Travel Association (abta.com) When you book your holiday with Discover the World your travel arrangements are completely protected by our 100% GUARANTEED unique pledge. What does this mean? Read on Nordic Photos/awl-images.com
- 4 All our holidays are bound by our Terms & Conditions, which can be found on our website Flexible Pricing Due to constantly changing currencies, fuel prices and airfares, weve adopted a exible approach to pricing to ensure we give you the best possible price at the time of booking. Our brochure prices are to be used as guidelines only - the actual price will be conrmed when you book your holiday and it may end up being lower or higher, than shown in the brochure. Up-to-date pricing is available on our website or can be obtained by calling our team of travel specialists. This policy allows us to give you the best possible price at the time of booking, including any special offers. Remember, once we have booked and conrmed your holiday your price is fully guaranteed. Price Promise In the unlikely event that you should nd the same holiday arrangements elsewhere at a lower price, our Price Promise means that we will do our best to improve on it. Do bear in mind that arrangements which appear the same can be very different we are very particular about the partners we work with and only do so with the best and most reliable. Full Tailor- Made Service Our expertise lies in tailor-made travel which means, not only will we adapt any of the itineraries presented in this brochure or on our website to suit your personal requirements - we can even create your holiday from scratch. We can arrange ights, accommodation, car hire, excursions and activities, as well as a number of extras such as insurance and airport parking. Specialist Advice With such a profusion of destinations, holidays and experiences on offer, it is not always easy to know where to start planning your holiday - which is where we can help. Our team know our destinations inside out having travelled extensively within them and some have even lived there. Our Travel Specialists are on hand to create a holiday to suit your interests, timescale and budget, as well as give practical advice and insider tips. Voted Top 10 Tour Operator by Wanderlust readers After nearly 30 years were not resting on our laurels and continue to work hard to maintain our reputation as the UKs Scandinavia and Arctic specialists, but dont just take our word for it... for many years Discover the World has been voted as one of Wanderlust readers top 10 UK Tour Operators, out of a eld of around 1500+ companies. We particularly value this award from the readers of the UKs top travel magazine, as they certainly know a thing or two about travel! Booking with Discover the World will ensure you experience a quality, value-for-money holiday, nancial and consumer protection, with 24/7 support and the assurance that you will be looked after every step of the way. More reasons why you should book with us AITO Quality Statement Discover the World is a member of the Association of Independent Tour Operators. The Association represents Britains leading independent tour operators and encourages high standards of quality and service. Discover the World abides by the Associations Code of Conduct and adheres to the AITO Quality Charter which can be viewed at aito.com - visit the website to nd out more about the Association or call 020 8744 9280. Scan with your smartphone and visit our website! Use the QR codes printed in this brochure to take you straight to our website when you scan them with your smartphone. The codes can be found on each holiday page and will link you to further information about the trip as well as the current prices. You must be able to access the Internet on your mobile device and it will need to be equipped with a QR code reader application, available for download at discover-the-world.co.uk/qr 5042 3 5042 ABTA No.V2823 Andrey Stenkin
- 5discover-the-world.co.uk/arctic-experience Talk to the experts 01737 214 257 5 Our top 5 things you should know about the northern lights How Do I Photograph Them? Generally youll need a tripod as exposures from several seconds to almost 20 give the best results. SLR camera users should try a wide angle lens with a wide aperture as well as setting their ISO levels to high - for further tips visit our website. On your winter holiday youll see numerous books and postcards showing spectacular night skies but these have been put together by people with years of experience not to say that complete novices dont succeed - weve had some amazing shots sent in to us by rst timers! But more often than not, people tend to simply stand beneath a display and marvel at its magnicence also beats having to take your gloves off to try and work your camera! Will I Denitely See Them? Most people appreciate the northern lights are a natural phenomenon and we cant turn them on for you! But what we can do is get you to locations across the northern hemisphere where sightings are generally known to be better than anywhere else. And whats more, those places have plenty of things to see and do during the day whilst you are not star gazing. Patience is the key as well as a clear, cloudless winters night. Displays can occur any time from around 5pm but most activity tends to be a little later - fortunately on many of our holidays featured in this brochure you can opt to be woken during the night so you dont miss a thing! Why Are Displays Different Colours? Most people lucky enough to see the aurora will witness a display of neon green lights. If you are really lucky then that display might be yellow and red, or even multi-coloured. The differences depend on two main factors: what type of gas is reacting with the solar particles and at what altitude this activity is taking place. Most of it occurs 100- 200km above the Earth a level where excited nitrogen atoms glow green and blue. And above 200km, oxygen atoms glow red when reacting with charged particles from the Sun. What Is So Special About 2012-13? You may have heard about the Sunspot Cycle and how it is linked to sightings of the northern lights. The cycle is generally around 11 years and this coming season it reaches its peak, the Solar Max. Sunspots are temporary dark patches which are cooler than the rest of the surface of the Sun and when these increase in number, so too does the amount of solar are activity and the subsequent possibility of auroral displays. This doesnt mean you wont see displays during other periods of the cycle, as activity is constant, just that displays at the peak may be more intense or more frequent. And if sightings experienced over the last season are anything to go by, then this coming season should see some incredible displays. What Are The Northern Lights? Solar ares are explosions ejected by the Sun. These ares contain charged particles and if they head our way, carried on a solar wind, Earths magnetic elds divert them. Most disappear into space but if some enter our upper atmosphere, around the Polar Regions where those magnetic elds converge, then these charged particles react with the gases found there. These magnetic elds create auroral ovals around the top and bottom of our planet which move and distort as the Earth rotates and solar are activity increases. You have to be within an auroral oval for a chance of seeing this particle/gas reaction hence why you need to travel north. Please remember that witnessing a display of the aurora cannot be guaranteed even when conditions seem just right. Displays should be seen as a bonus to your winter break. Visit our website for more information about the northern lights and see remarkable images that will no doubt inspire you to travel north this winter. Sara Winter
- 6 All our holidays are bound by our Terms & Conditions, which can be found on our website6 All our holidays are bound by our Terms & Conditions, which can be found on our website Choosing the Right Destination For many people, the Arctic holds a deep fascination, it has for us for almost 30 years. And whilst we continue to operate an unrivalled collection of year round holidays across the region, quite a number of our clients prefer to visit during the winter months. It is hard to put your nger on what lures people to the far north at this time of year. For some its the untouched, snow-laden scenery and the chance of a relaxing, romantic getaway. For others its the howl of the huskies, the opportunity to drive a snowmobile or try other snowy activities. And for...
View more >
NORTHERN LIGHTS & ARCTIC CULTURES - ?· innovative Aurora Pod® with glass ceiling and sides, and from…
The Northern Lights Made by:Jenni, Hannu & Vesa. -Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) is a light phenomenom taking place in the sky in the Arctic and Antarctic.
Prom Night Proposal - Northern Lights Ballroom & Banquet ...n ?· Prom Night Proposal (Northern Lights…