6 best practices for celebrating careers
out of 10
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONResearch proves celebrating a person’s service anniversary or career achievement is strongly correlated to increased tenure. These best practices will help you create Impactful recognition celebrations.
- RESEARCH PROVES CELEBRATING A PERSONS SERVICE ANNIVERSARY OR CAREER ACHIEVEMENT IS STRONGLY CORRELATED TO INCREASED TENURE. THESE BEST PRACTICES WILL HELP YOU CREATE IMPACTFUL RECOGNITION CELEBRATIONS. BEST PRACTICES FOR CELEBRATING CAREERS R E L E V A N T T R E N D S , T O P I C S , A N D I S S U E S F O R Y O U R B U S I N E S S . S TAY S M A R T . S TAY C U R R E N T
- FROM THE O.C. TANNER INSTITUTE octanner.com/institute
- When employees are celebrated for their career achievement: HAVE A STRONG DESIRE TO STAY AT THEIR ORGANIZATION. 83% 85% FEEL A STRONG SENSE OF PRIDE IN THE ORGANIZATION. 80%ARE INSPIRED TO DO GREAT WORK.
- Follow these six tips to ensure each career celebration supports your culture. EQUIP MANAGERS AND LEADERS WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS AND TRAINING. + Recognize employees on or near their anniversary date. + Put a system in place that automatically reminds managers of upcoming service anniversaries. + Provide training that teaches recognition best practices. Companies that implement recognition training for managers see an increase in satisfaction with the recognition experience. 111 Visit iappreciate.com for presentation tips and tutorials.
- GIVE AWARDS WITH A PERSONALIZED PRESENTATION. Employees feel more appreciated and have greater loyalty toward their organizations when they receive tangible awards.1 On a scale of one through seven (with seven equaling I feel very appreciated by my company) recipients rated the actual award at 4.21, while a presentation of recognition ranked 3.48. Yet, giving an awardalong with a personalized presentationtook the rating up to 6.08. Recipients desired awards that satisfied their wants versus needs. I feel very appreciated by my company when 222 I receive an award along with a personalized presentation. 6.081 7
- PLAN A CELEBRATION APPROPRIATE FOR THE NUMBER OF YEARS. Celebrating one or five years should feel very different than celebrating 25 years. Each distinct career milestone triggers specific emotions.2 Understanding the emotions and psychology of someone at their one, three, five, 10-year (or more) anniversary will help in creating a more personalized and effective celebration. At 10 or more, consider inviting family members. 333 10YRS 20YRS 5YRS 15YRS 25YRS
- INVITE OTHER PEOPLE TO SPEAK. Consult with the recipient on what they would like. Who should be invited? Who should speak? Invite peers to participate, especially those who know the recipient well and are familiar with his or her contributions. When senior leaders attend career achievement celebrations, it shows they value their people and are committed to recognizing them. Research shows an increase in engagement levels when senior leaders show interest in the wellbeing of employees.3 For leaders themselves, it offers an opportunity to connect directly to employees. Theyll listen to the stories told by the employees peers and discover exactly how that individual has contributed to the organizations success. 444 Family Peers Leaders Manager
- PREPARE YOUR REMARKS. 66% feel career celebrations strengthen relationships with co-workers.4 Share memorable stories that highlight the recipients unique qualities and illustrate his or her contributions to the rest of the organization. Talk about what theyve accomplished, linking these contributions to your brand values and overall vision of the organization. When employees better understand the connection between what they do and achieving top company goals, they are more likely to trust their employer. This trust leads to a high level of engagement, enhanced contributions, and commitment. 555
- EXTEND THE APPRECIATION EXPERIENCE. You want the impact of the experience to live on. Record the event to give the employee a keepsake to save and share with family and friends. During the presentation itself, present a keepsake certificate and career achievement brochure with the award to serve as a valuable reminder of the day. Symbolic awards and pins also offer reminders of the culture, values, and meaning of the organization and specific career achievement. Research shows the benefits of recognition get amplified 6 times when integrated with social.5 Integration with social platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, let the employees entire communitypersonal and professionaloffer congratulations. 666
- FROM THE O.C. TANNER INSTITUTE 1. The Cicero Group, "Optimizing Employee Recognition Programs, 2010. 2. The Cicero Group focus group research January 2012. 3. Towers Watson, Global Recognition Study, 2008. 4. The Cicero Group, Quantifying the Return-on- Investment, September 2012. 5. The Cicero Group, Social Media Recognition, 2013. Download the full white paper for complete details.
View more >