5/19/2015Straughn High School Using Boolean Operators AND, OR, NOT, Parenthesis, NEAR.
Post on 18-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Using Boolean Operators AND, OR, NOT, Parenthesis, NEAR
- Slide 3
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Let get started! Searching the NET can be a daunting task. You could spend hours on an unfocused quest. The NET can be organized into sensible information by using search tools.
- Slide 4
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Boolean Operator AND If you enter AND between two words then your search will only yield documents that contain both words, narrowing your search. If you enter goldfish AND guppies then your search will yield only documents with both words.
- Slide 5
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Boolean Operator OR If you enter OR between two words then your search will look for either word (you dont care which word), broadening your search. If you type in goldfish OR guppies in your search engine then your search will yield documents that contain the word goldfish or the word guppies.
- Slide 6
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Boolean Operator NOT NOT tells the search engine to disregard those documents that contain a word. This is a powerful command and should be used sparingly.
- Slide 7
- 5/19/2015 If you search goldfish and guppy and gets lots of information about swordtails, you might be tempted to try NOT swordtails. But what if the best authority on goldfish is an authority on swordtails, too? What if her name is Irma Swordtail? You could miss lots of information. Why not Not?
- Slide 8
- 5/19/2015 Search engines do not read left to right. Most interpret the AND first, then follow with the OR. You can tell the search engine to interpret the OR first by typing (goldfish OR guppies) AND food. Dont use ( ) when youre only using AND. Boolean Operator Parenthesis ( )
- Slide 9
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Boolean Operator NEAR Narrow a search by using the term NEAR to retrieve only documents where the searched words appear close together. If you search for information on gray cats, and you type gray AND cats, documents describing cats that lived in gray houses, or slept on gray mats, or woke up and the day was gray might appear on the list.
- Slide 10
- 5/19/2015Straughn High School Now give it a try! Each search engine has different rules about upper and lower case letters and the use of Boolean operators. Check their directions. Try some experimental searches. Browse the results and make any necessary adjustments to the structure of your search words and operators. With a little practice, you can save hours of time in cyberspace and focus on the task at hand!
View more >
Boolean Logic - Triton - Boolean Logic.pdfBoolean Logic Boolean Logic, Operators, and Truth Tables Similar to previously examined propositions, Boolean algebra has only three operators: and, or, and not.
OPG World School Syllabus- Unit Test-I (2018-19) XII- ?· Basic Theorems ... Use of Boolean operators…
What is a Boolean Operator? - Alliant Library - ? Â· "What is a Boolean Operator?" Alliant Libraries Boolean Operators are simple words (AND, OR, NOT or AND NOT) used as
Boolean and Proximity operators AND (alloy AND corrosion) OR (alloy 31 OR alloy 59) NOT (Alloy 31 NOT alloy 59) NEAR (two words within 10.
BOOLEAN SEARCHING. What is Boolean searching? Lets you narrow or broaden your search Use AND, OR, or AND NOT operators to combine search terms Named after.
Smarter Internet Searching Boolean Operators. 11/14/2009Mrs. Rooley What are Boolean operators? FThe terms “AND, OR, & NOT” when used in Internet searches.
Searching Using Boolean Logic - ciap. Logic.pdfSearching using Boolean Logic May 2012 Page 1 of 3 SEARCHING USING BOOLEAN LOGIC Boolean logic uses the terms AND, OR and NOT to combine concepts.
Using Boolean Operators and other Internet Search Tools AND, OR, NOT, Parenthesis, Quotation Marks, Plus and Minus Signs.
Smarter Internet Searching Boolean Operators. What are Boolean operators? FThe terms “AND, OR, & NOT” when used in Internet searches are called Boolean.
Combining Subject Headings. Source: http://www.kerryr. net/pioneers/boole.htm Boolean operators: AND OR AND NOT or NOT Bcolean Logix.
BOOLEAN SEARCHES-FINAL copy - Synthesio ??Guide your boolean logic by using brackets (Think back to high school math class and how parenthesis guided your mathematical ... BOOLEAN SEARCHES: A
What is a Boolean Operator? - Alliant Library - Mainmenu is a Boolean Operator? Alliant Libraries Boolean Operators are simple words (AND, OR, NOT or AND NOT) used as