10 Things Every Teacher Should Know About Reading Comprehension 10 Things Every Teacher Should Know About Reading Comprehension Timothy Shanahan University.
Post on 22-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- 10 Things Every Teacher Should Know About Reading Comprehension 10 Things Every Teacher Should Know About Reading Comprehension Timothy Shanahan University of Illinois at Chicago firstname.lastname@example.org www.shanahanonliteracy.com
- Slide 2
- 1. Reading comprehension tests dont tell much about reading comprehension Do low reading comprehension scores mean students struggle with reading comprehension? Because reading is a collection of linguistic and cognitive skills that are embedded and hierarchical, low comprehension scores do not necessarily mean there is a need for more comprehension instruction
- Slide 3
- Is it a reading comprehension problem? Or is it a decoding problem?
- Slide 4
- Is it a reading comprehension problem? Or is it a word meaning problem?
- Slide 5
- Is it a reading comprehension problem? Or is it a fluency problem?
- Slide 6
- Is it a reading comprehension problem? Or is it a comprehension problem?
- Slide 7
- Dont fall for the comprehension skills fallacy You cant simply teach students how to answer particular question types such as main idea, vocabulary, inferencing, supporting details, drawing conclusions, etc.
- Slide 8
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- Slide 11
- 2. Basic skills teaching improves reading comprehension Enabling skills can seem like ends in themselves But the purpose of teaching enabling skills is that they can improve reading comprehension Need to pay attention to student performance and developmental level
- Slide 12
- NRP reviewed 51 studies of phonemic awareness instruction And 38 studies of phonics instruction
- Slide 13
- NRP reviewed 45 studies on vocabulary instruction And NELP and NLP looks at vocabulary are revealing, too
- Slide 14
- NRP reviewed 16 (or 52) studies on oral reading fluency instruction
- Slide 15
- Dont fail to teach these basic skills But teach them with a clear purpose Skills instruction should eventually end up with reading for meaning as the pay off
- Slide 16
- 3. Reading comprehension itself can be taught explicitly There is more to comprehension teaching than just building enabling skills It is possible to provide instruction that helps students to think more effectively while they read (to understand and remember more)
- Slide 17
- NRP reviewed 205 studies that showed that reading comprehension could be taught directly throughout the elementary and secondary grades. These studies emphasized teaching students how to think effectively during reading
- Slide 18
- 4. Reading comprehension instruction is not listening comprehension Reading comprehension and listening comprehension are both about thinking with language Students low in reading comprehension are often low in listening comprehension too Early listening comprehension is correlated with later reading comprehension and for English learners these relations are stronger within English than across languages
- Slide 19
- One reason the correlations arent higher is because the demands of decoding: Reading requires students to think about text WHILE decoding Studies do not yet show that improving listening comprehension is an effective intervention for improving reading comprehension
- Slide 20
- Kindergarten teachers are correct to focus on listening comprehension Unfortunately, teachers of older kids often replace reading with listening lessons because of the difficulty of the books This gets you through the books, but doesnt teach reading Students need to read materials that are challenging, but not TOO hard to read
- Slide 21
- 5. Reading comprehension instruction requires more than practice Early in 20 th Century, reading instruction focused mainly on oral reading practice Silent reading and reading comprehension instruction were ignored
- Slide 22
- Thorndike study: Kids who were questioned about what they read comprehended better than those who just read Helped transform teaching of reading More recent studies have challenged this standard of practice (strategies)
- Slide 23
- Just reading and answering questions is better than just reading But reading comprehension instruction is more than an assignment We can teach kids how to think effectively when reading (strategies)
- Slide 24
- 6. Comprehension strategy instruction is different than comprehension skills instruction Historically, reading instruction has emphasized comprehension skills Skills are meant to be carried out quickly, easily and without conscious attention Strategies are intentional and complex
- Slide 25
- Reading Comprehension Skills Cause and effect Classify and categorize Compare and contrast Draw conclusions Fact and opinion Main idea Important details Inferences Sequence Bias and propaganda Problem and solution Identify theme Literal recall Tone Mood Etc., etc., etc.
- Slide 26
- Reading Comprehension Strategies Summarizing (18) Questioning (27) Story mapping (17) Monitoring (22) Question answering (17) Graphic organizers (11) Mental imagery (7) Prior knowledge (14)
- Slide 27
- Strategies vs. Skills Strategies: Intentional Metacognitive Reflective Complex/multi-step Probability of success Approximation Skills: Automatic Over-learning Immediate Simple/single step Certainty of success Accuracy
- Slide 28
- 7. Combinations of strategies are best NRP found that instruction in combined sets of strategies (such as reciprocal teaching) were generally more effective than teaching single strategies
- Slide 29
- 8. Clear explanations matter Studies show that how well teachers can explain mental processes makes a difference in student progress Core programs and professional development can give teachers guidance in teaching strategies clearly
- Slide 30
- Students need to learn the what, when, how, why of strategies.
- Slide 31
- 9. Gradual release of control approaches are effective Modeling and explanation Guided practice and explanation Independent practice
- Slide 32
- Gradual release of control: I do it. We do it. You do it.
- Slide 33
- Gradual release of control: I do it. We do it. You do it together. You do it.
- Slide 34
- 10. We dont have all the strategies. Strategies are about taking intentional mental actions to understand a text Story maps versus character change charts
- Slide 35
- Story Map Setting: Main Character: Problem: Internal response: Attempt: Outcome: Reaction: Theme:
- Slide 36
- Character Perspective Chart Setting: Main Character: Problem: Internal response: Attempt: Outcome: Reaction: Theme: Setting: Main character: Problem: Internal response: Attempt: Outcome: Reaction: Theme:
- Slide 37
- Character Change Chart What is main character like at the beginning of the story? What is the main character like at the end of the story? How has he or she changed? Crisis Given this character change, what do you think the author wanted you to learn? ________ ________________________________________________________________________
- Slide 38
- Chemistry Note-taking SubstancesPropertiesProcessesInteractions Atomic Expression
- Slide 39
- History Events Chart TEXTWHO?WHAT?WHERE?WHEN?WHY? 1 Relation: 2 3 Relation 4 Main point:
- Slide 40
- We can improve the reading lives of children By creating a classroom culture that emphasizes meaning. By ensuring that children have the enabling skills that allow comprehension By teaching students the most effective, research-proven ways to think effectively about the ideas in text and guiding their practice with these strategies across a wide range of text
- Slide 41
- Thank you very much!!!
- Slide 42
- 10 Things Every Teacher Should Know about Reading Comprehension Timothy Shanahan University of Illinois at Chicago email@example.com www.shanahanonliteracy.com
View more >
10 Things Every Paramedic Should Know About Things Every Paramedic Should Know About ... “End Tidal CO2 reading without a waveform is like a heart ... 10 Things Every Paramedic Should Know About
10 Things Every Travel Manager Should Know About ??10 Things Every Travel Manager Should Know About Procurement ... •Improve key performance indicators Corporate Travel Priorities
5 Things Every Woman Should Know About Social Security ?· things every woman should know about Social…
Reading Terms Things that every fifth grader should know know. Things that every fifth grader should know know.
What Every Teacher Should Know About Diverse ?· Acopy of What Every Teacher Should Know About Diverse…
Ten Things Every American Student Should Know About ?· Ten Things Every American Student Should Know…
Some Things Every User Should Know About Use and ?· Some Things Every User Should Know About Use and…