10 reasons why you should quit smoking
out of 18
Post on 05-Dec-2014
- 1. 10 Reasons Why You Should Quit Smoking By http://2stopsmokingtips.com
- 2. Introduction Do you know that February this year, US First Lady, Michelle Obama officially confirmed that President Obama had quit smoking cigarettes? Michelle told reporters at a White House luncheon to mark the first anniversary of her Lets Move childhood health initiative, Its been a while and Im very proud of him. The Washington Post quoted the First lady as saying, I havent poked and prodded. When somebody is doing the right thing, you dont mess with them.
- 3. 10 reasons why you should quit smoking By this brave move, Obama joins the ranks of the 1.3 million of his compatriots who are said to dump the habit annually. If Obama can drop his 30-year-old habit, you certainly can and here are 10 reasons why you should quit smoking now:
- 4. Reason No 1: You Can Yes, quit smoking because you can. No matter what anybody says or feels about you, I am telling you to quit smoking today because you definitely can. Whether you believe it or not, you have the innate ability to stop any habit that is dragging you down, smoking inclusive.
- 5. Reason No 1 Continued Henry Ford said; If you think you can do a thing or think you cant do a thing, youre right. Everyday, tell yourself, I can and I will quit smoking. Say it with a lot of conviction. Mean it from the bottom of my heart. You will be surprised to see your affirmations coming to pass in a very short while. All I am saying in this first paragraph is: you can so you should quit smoking.
- 6. Reason No 2: Social Pressure Governments all around the world are really serious about their anti-smoking policies. As we speak, smoking is being banned from more and more places. These include flights, shops, cinemas and restaurants. This is all designed to make life more unbearable in the hope that you will quit.
- 7. Reason No 2 Continued In May this year, Chinas new indoor smoking ban took effect. This is in accordance with a WHO- backed global anti-tobacco treaty, even though the country had already missed a Jan. 9, 2011, deadline to enforce the ban. In April, this year, the Daily Mail reported that half of the states in the U.S. have banned smoking in restaurants, bars and the workplace since 2000, and federal health officials have predicted that cigarette smoking will be forbidden in all U.S. states by 2020.
- 8. Reason No 2 Continued Whether this prediction will come to pass is not the issue. The issue is, our Governments have come to the realization that smoking is deadly and are willing to do all within their power to eradicate it, so, why dont you quit today?
- 9. Reason No 3: Digging An Early Grave In China, smoking is said to be behind the deaths of at least 1 million people annually. Government Statistics reveal its one of the greatest health threats the country faces as approximately 30% of adults in China smoke. This amounts to roughly 300 million people out of the huge Chinese population which runs into over a billion.
- 10. Reason No 3 Continued In the UK, Cancer Research UK said, today, tobacco consumption is recognised as the UKs single greatest cause of preventable illness and early death with around 107,000 people dying in 2007 from smoking related diseases including cancers. The situation is no different in the US where the Center for Disease Control and Prevention singles out tobacco as the single most preventable cause of the 3Ds (disease, disability, and death) in the United States.
- 11. Reason No 3 Continued Each year, 443,000 people are said to die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke, and another 8.6 million live with a serious illness caused by smoking. Its amazing that despite these risks, the CDC says approximately 46.6 million U.S. adults smoke cigarettes. Smokeless tobacco, cigars, and pipes also have deadly consequences, including lung, larynx, esophageal, and oral cancers. Think about it, why will you allow a substance you willingly inhale into your system to end your life abruptly?
- 12. Reason No 4: Second Hand Smoking If you really love your loved ones like you profess, you would have a re-think about smoking. Secondhand smoke, also called Tobacco Environmental Smoke(ETS), is the smoke given off by a burning tobacco product as well as the smoke exhaled by one who is smoking. Experts say it can be more damaging than direct smoking since most of the smoke from second hand smoking isnt filtered out.
- 13. Reason No 4 Continued According to the University of Minnesota (Division of Periodontology),between 70% and 90% of non-smokers in the American population, children and adults, are regularly exposed to secondhand smoke. It is estimated that only 15% of cigarette smoke gets inhaled by the smoker. The remaining 85% lingers in the air for everyone to breathe. If a person spends more than two hours in a room where someone is smoking, the nonsmoker inhales the equivalent of four cigarettes. It continues by saying that Secondhand smoke is the third leading preventable cause of disability and early death (after active smoking and alcohol) in the United States. For every eight smokers who die from smoking, one innocent bystander dies from secondhand smoke.
- 14. Reason No 4 Continued And now, wait for this; Secondhand smoke affects the fetus! When pregnant women, who dont smoke, co- habit with partners who do, babies tend to have a low birth weight. The message is loud and clear: pregnant women shouldnt smoke and they should avoid people who do. Now, this is food for thought: if, for just a few minutes of pleasure, you can hurt over 80% of the population of your country, dont you think your desire is a selfish one? An Anonymous smoker once said;If people dont love themselves enough to cut down on their smoking, they may love someone else enough to do it.
- 15. Reason No 5: Its Damn Expensive Aside using your hard-earned money to pay for cigarettes, you will also find you are spending money in other ways like paying more for health insurance. This is because, as a smoker, you are more likely to suffer from cancer and other ailments. Even when it comes to oral health, you will encounter many problems as a smoker because you will increase your chances of contracting gum disease, oral cancers and mouth sores. So it shouldnt surprise you that healthy people get cheaper health insurance.
- 16. 5 Other Reasons You Should Quit Smoking Makes You and Your Things Stink, Your Food Doesnt Taste Well, Burn Holes in Clothes, Chairs, Rug and Your Body, Male and Female Infertility, Depression. There you have it, 10 reasons why you should quit smoking today! Will you take the challenge?
- 17. Useful Quit Smoking Resources The Effects of Smoking Stop Smoking Aids Stop Smoking Natural Remedies Motivation to Quit Smoking Stop Smoking Benefits
- 18. Thank You for Reading!!! For more on such incisive articles, please visit www.2stopsmokingtips.com
View more >