10 activities you can do to learn parenting skills before having a family
Post on 14-Feb-2017
Embed Size (px)
10 ACTIVITIES YOU CAN DO TO LEARN
PARENTING SKILLS BEFORE HAVING A FAMILY
10 Activities You Can Do to Learn Parenting Skills Before Having a Family
Having your first child is such a special time in your life. Its so exciting, yet so scary at
the same time. Your mind is likely swirling with worrisome thoughts like, Will I be a
good parent? What if my baby cries a lot how will I know whats wrong? I dont even know
how to change a diaper!
If youre having worries like these, dont despair! You can develop some valuable
parenting skills before the little one ever makes an appearance.
Take advantage of these strategies to learn positive parenting skills ahead of time:
1. Take a parenting class. A parenting class teaches you many parenting skills,
including how to diaper, feed, and handle a child. Its a good idea for both you and
your partner to attend the class so you both have an idea of what taking care of a
child is like.
2. Talk to other parents about what they do. Your friends and family members
that have children can become a great resource for you. Ask them questions
about how they have handled different situations with their family.
3. Take care of other peoples kids for a day or two. Offer to watch your niece or
nephew for a day or two. Make time for fun as well as helping them with their
homework so you get an idea of the different things that go into being a parent.
4. Visit parenting sites on the internet. The internet has hundreds of parenting
sites, including blogs that relate real-life experiences and how the blog owner
has found solutions for many parenting challenges.
5. Check out books from the library. The library has many different books on
learning how to take care of children. Keep a folder handy for notes and ideas as
6. Talk things over with your partner. Set aside time to talk over different ways
that you would handle various parenting situations.
7. Reflect on your values. Do some soul searching and decide the type of family
you want to raise. What values would you like to instill in your children?
Consider different types of situations that deal with values and know how you
stand on them.
8. Remember your own childhood. What did you like about growing up? What do
you want to avoid when raising your kids? Thinking back to how your parents
raised you can give you answers to both questions.
9. Its not too early to start creating family traditions. Creating traditions is
important for the future when you are planning for a family. Begin now to
create wonderful holiday and other special traditions throughout the year.
10. Take a part-time job at a daycare center to hone your skills. Working often
with children will give you a chance to develop and practice your parenting
skills. Youll encounter many situations that will give you a chance to think
creatively about how you can apply love, understanding, and discipline all at the
Raising a family can be very difficult in todays world. It makes sense for you to plan for
children ahead of time. Use these tips to find ways to gain parenting skills before you
have children. Youll build confidence and peace of mind as you build your skills.
Powered by TCPDF (www.tcpdf.org)