Post on 12-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. advertising agencies
2. what agencies do. structure & organization and how theyre organized to do it. 3. 7primary services:
- complete amarketing analysis
- develop anadvertising plan
- prepare acreative strategy
- createadvertising executions
- develop and implement amedia plan
- integrateother marketing communications
4. 4functions of full-service agencies
- account management
- media planning and placement
5. agency organization chart 6.
- liaison between agency and client
- responsible for understanding...
- the clients business
- the clients marketing needs
- strategy development
- representing client point of view within the agency
account management 7.
- account management director
- management supervisor
- account supervisors
- account executives
- assistant account execs
- account coordinators
account management 8.
- the creative department is responsible for creating and producing the print and broadcast advertising
- strategy is key
- good creative work is always guided by a creative strategy that sets forth goals to be accomplished and key message points to be relayed
9. creative department
- executive & group creative directors
- creative director
- associate creative director
- art directors
- broadcast producers
- print production managers
- traffic coordinators
10. media department
- Themedia departmenthas two main functions -planningandbuying.
- The planning group handles more strategic marketing and media issues.
- The buying group handles media negotiations and implementation.
- media director
- associate media directors
- media supervisors
- media planners
- media buyers
- media analysts
media department Media Plan 12.
- mega-agency media departmentshave now become profit centers
- agencies have set up their media departments as free-standing units
- many large clients now look at media as a separate service
big changes in the media department 13.
- interpret market environment
- gather and analyze research data.
- primary and secondary techniques
- determine consumer needs/perceptions
- understand problems
- advise how ads can meetstrategic goals
- help find solutions
research department Research Report 14.
- research director
- research project managers
- research assistants
- outside researchspecialists
research department Research Report 15. auxiliary agency functions
- account planning
- strategy/creative review board
- office management
- human resources
- legal services
16. 3ways agencies make money
- usually 15% of gross costs
- usually based on negotiated hourly rate
- still relatively new and problematic
- usually based on performance goals
17. agency commissions
- media commission system
- 15% media commission
- adjustable commission rates
- negotiate to match client budget
- sliding scale
- markups-production & service
- add a percentage markup to costs
- 17.65% of net = 15% of gross
18. 4types of fee systems
- fixed fee (retainer)
- cost-plus fee
- performance fee
- hybrid fee & commission
- in theory, a good way to work
- get paid based on how well you do, not how much you bill
- in practice, difficult to implement
- if client makes final decision (instead of agency), how can agency be responsible for final results?
- results based on many factors, such as competitive efforts, not just advertising
20. new business
- three primary sources
- build existing clients business
- add and sell new IMC services
- solicit new accounts
- two ongoing problems
- spec work
- teams walking with accounts
The critical objective and roleof any ad agency is gainingnew business. 21. things to think about:
- why might you be interested in going into the agency business?
- what might keep you from choosing a career in the agency business?